Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I just finished Best Served Cold and I kinda liked it. It was good pulp, comic violence. I have two huge problems with it, though.

It is way too long for the way it is paced. The book peaks at the third kill (which is brilliantly done) and then sort of meanders for huge chunks of the rest of the book. It would have been much better overall if it was just 3-5 dudes to kill.

Secondly, I didn't care at all for Monza or her revenge. She's written too straight and earnest to be amusing like the rest of her merry band of fuckups. I liked how it is gradually revealed that Benna was a giant douchebag who basically ruined Monza but that didn't help me not caring about the plot any.

Also I didn't read the other books because I did not want to get involved in a trilogy. This wasn't a problem for 95% of the book, but... I really hope Shenkt and Vitari are in the main series because they feel almost completely pointless in BSC with no foreknowledge and could have been cut almost entirely without incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I liked BSC but if a sequel magically appeared in bookstores tomorrow, there's tons of stuff I want to read first. I only read the same writer's books back to back if I really, really loved their work.

With a series, I'm committed to reading it all to get the whole story which I avoid nowadays (this was not always the case, believe me). Too many good books, not enough lifetime. I will probably return to Abercrombie eventually.