Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I swear, this guy is the anti-gurrm. He's already finished the first draft of Heroes and he goes on and gives details on his writing/editing schedule for the next couple of months. So yeah, we'll most likely have the book by February next year.

OP: Here's the provisional US cover art for "Heroes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
On the other hand, would you want a ruler who goes berserk at the drop of a hat and starts killing people around him?. Eh, arguing who is worse in this series isn't a very good way to spend our time. Most characters are plain bad on some standard.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Went through the Trilogy and BSC again these last few weeks and I'm ready for more books with Logan , Glockta and Bayaz!

I know that The Heroes is a standalone book so it probably won't have much on the wider picture in it but I'm incredibly hyped either way.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I think that's just Jezal finding his balls, I remember Bayaz being p happy about how he even talks like a king.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
As I see it, Bayaz killed Juvens because he was too restrained in the use of his power. Bayaz couldn't go on a power trip with his supposedly more powerful master breathing down his neck, so he engineered(?) Juvens' death.

He must've somehow lured Kanedias into all this using Tolomei, and then he killed her to cover his tracks. It's possible that the Maker didn't even know he was manipulated right till the end. He's not really remembered as a big people's person.

Basically, Bayaz is a major dick.

So that's my take on the whole thing. Might be wrong, it's mostly supposition.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I've always thought that Bayaz manipulated the Master Maker into killing Juvens, then killed Kanedias right after the battle.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
My memory is a bit vague on this, but Tolomei and Yulwei got locked in the house of the Maker at the end of the first trilogy , right?

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Let's hope that someone will manage to free them in the next trilogy. Bayaz really needs to be taken out of circulation, he is just too smug about it all.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I don't see how Khalul and Bayaz are any good for the people they control. They will always block any peaceful solution to the problems between the Union and the South.

And they being good rulers? Bayaz doesn't rule, he manipulates the Union's policy towards war with the South. And that's about all he does, leaving someone else to mind the shop when he gets bored/has something else to do.

That world would still suck without Bayaz and Khalul, but I think they wouldn't have any of these fanatical world wars.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I'm curious to see if Styria can enforce its neutrality in the Union/South shitfest. With peace in the north, the Union will probably go against Monza and the province(s) she controls.

And another thing, is Bayaz portrayed as damage resistant or something? Because nobody is looking to assassinate the fucker and it's p strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Well, that was a good book.

spoilers ahead! for the people who like reading spoilers, this is about some of the characters from the trilogy and the other two books.
So Cosca's gone now, his death scene was sad but he was getting a bit too pathetic, there wasn't much left in him. I'm not clear on this, what happened to Friendly at the end?
Carlot dan Eider is the Mayor of a frontier town, she just survives everything Abercrombie can throw at her. :)
Ninefingers is probaly back in the game for the next trilogy, I'm pretty hyped about Bayaz getting a bit of payback in the future.
Not much about Monza in this book, she apparently succeeded in unifying Styria, Zacharius(?) made a few appearances, nothing about Ferro or Jezal. Glokta seems to be doing well as the head of the Union - everyone is terrified of him.

Did not like this book as much as Best Served Cold or The Heroes, it was a bit too chaotic for my taste but it's still worth a read or two.