Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Randy Marsh posted:

I love how the books are self aware and turn a lot of the fantasy tropes on their heads, such as Bayaz not at all being who he seems, if you go in thinking of him as the typical old wizard who guides the "heroes".

From his own descriptions of "Heroes", that's pretty much Abercrombie's point: everyone is kinda reprehensible and there is absolutely no "good" faction or person. It's all shades of vicious, vindictive, vain and other wise unappealing traits that are written so successfully that you can't help but empathize with the characters.

Glokta is the perfect example of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
It would be fascinating to read an Abercrombie story that has one of the Eaters being the focus. It would fit in perfectly with his style of presenting a character and getting the reader to empathize with them and then exposing the depravity and fuckedupedness of said character. That would switch the focus more to the South a little too. The "Northman" character with his shaggy hair, grunts and Conanesque musculature has become stale.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
^^^^^ He is an important figure in the book, but by no means the protagonist.