Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Ok, so, I just finished devouring The First Law. I think I read the whole thing in the last week, and I'm not a fast reader. I have to say that I'm soooo loving frustrated by the ending; it's not just that it ended so grimdark, but that it was so arbitrary. So much that happened to the characters over the course of the trilogy is overwritten for no reason down the stretch.

Why did Bayaz even bother teaching Jezal about being a king if he was just intending him to be a puppet all along? Surely Jezal as he was in the beginning would make a better stooge? Why the talk about the power of the people, given how little regard Bayaz shows the people later on? Obviously, Bayaz is not all that he appears at the start, but his heel turn in the political arena felt too forced to me. Why show Jezal being a good king just to tear it away? That's just unsatisfying.

Why kill West? That's just spiteful, shoehorned in for no reason other than to give him an unhappy ending.

Why does Logan go back to his old style of dealing with people? He loses all his development way too fast.

And other stuff but it's late and I need to wake up in 5 hours so I'll leave it there. Basically what I'm saying is gently caress Bayaz, I really liked this series and now I doubt I ever recommend it to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU