Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Abercrombie definitely takes a lot of inspiration (whether atmospheric or otherwise) from popular media - a good example of this was the entire table covered in wild-west-related films, novels, games, and history books that he amassed when he started to work on Red Country. I'd be surprised if Aeon Flux was something he was aware of at all, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
1) It's Carlot dan Eider, who ran up against Glokta in Dagoska and then went to Styria and got hosed over in Best Served Cold.

2) Just a northerner who knows him by reputation and may have seen him in the past. They turn up all over.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
It's never explicitly stated but it's heavily implied given the history of the character, her personality, and so on.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Tried reading Malazan, bored the gently caress out of me. I can get how people like it, but I don't really like having to read multiple one-thousand page books just to understand the setting. Ketchup rocks though.

I've only read Gardens of the Moon and am well aware of the supposed inferiority when compared with other Malazan books but I really didn't like it at all. I especially hated Kruppe, who I later learned was some sort of fan favourite, and resolved not to read any of the rest of the books.

And I'm all but certain that I've made this exact post before.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yep. I really hate Gorst but think he's a fantastic character, for pretty much those reasons.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah, I've been meaning to update the OP for ages, honestly. I'm just lazy - I'll get round to it soon.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
My favourite thing about that review is the little exchange in the comments where Joe locks down the 'she has a hot arse' stuff very quickly.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah - I've posted about it in this thread before. It's called Yesterday, At A Village Called Barden... and is about what happened to Gorst immediately prior to the events of The Heroes - just a skirmish he's involved with and 'distinguishes himself' in. It's pretty good but nothing earth-shattering.

Updated the OP, finally. Only about two years after I first intended to do so.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
It's been brought up before in the thread - Abercrombie was aware of the debate surrounding that and wrote a lengthy and very self-critical post or two about it. He's said that the character of Terez and how he handled that entire plot is one thing he would change on a rewrite of the book.

edit: Found the post of Abercrombie's. There's more after that one.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 24, 2013

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I don't know about looks, but Black Dow will always be Northern Irish for me.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yep, that fits my own mental image of Logen perfectly. Certainly much better than the gigantic bald ogre in that picture upthread.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
So Joe Abercrombie has a new book coming out soon, called Half A King.

It's young adult.

quote:

In some ways this is a very different sort of book from what I’ve written so far. It’s aimed partly at younger readers (maybe the 12-16 range). It’s much shorter – 80,000 words compared to 175,000 for my shortest, Red Country, and 230,000 for my longest, Last Argument of Kings (though still over twice the length of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, believe it or not). It’s set in a very different world with what you might call a viking or anglo-saxon feel. It’s much more focused, with a single point of view. It’s not so overtly ‘gritty’ although it’s a long way from smooth. It is punchy. It has drive. I aimed to deliver a slap in the face with every page.

Before some of you groan in horror at this wounding betrayal of all you believe in, I also wrote this with established readers, and indeed with a wider adult readership, very much in mind. In some ways it’s a very similar sort of book to what I’ve written so far. It’s fantasy, but light on the fantasy, and heavy on the vivid characters, the visceral action, the mixture of wit and cynicism, the twists and surprises. I hope that it will have a wide appeal. But I don’t feel that I’ve compromised on the way I’ve written. I think it’s as tough, surprising, challenging, and morally ‘grey’ as the rest of my output.

It’s very important to say that this is in no way a split from my current publishers Gollancz (and their parent Orion) in the UK and Orbit in the US. I cannot emphasise enough that Gollancz – and in particular my editor, Gillian Redfearn – have been and continue to be a brilliant, brilliant publisher for me. They fished The Blade Itself from the slush pile, more or less, and have built on the success of every book, to the point where The Heroes and Red Country both made the Sunday Times Hardcover Bestseller list. They’ve made deals in no less than 26 foreign territories and sold somewhere around 3 million of my books across the world in paper, audio and electronic formats. That’s quite an achievement and I’m hugely grateful for the opportunities they’ve given me and the work they’ve put into making my books a success.

Gollancz will continue to publish the six First Law books in the UK (along with Orbit and Pyr in the US) – with their accustomed inspiration and aplomb, I do not doubt – and in due course will be publishing a collection of short stories (which hopefully will appear in late 2015/early 2016) as well as another trilogy set in the First Law world. That trilogy is in the works, but there was always going to be a significant gap in the adult publishing while I worked out what I was going to do with it. I wouldn’t bet on seeing the first one in your bookstore (or on your preferred e-reading platform) before 2017.

Short version: the next First Law trilogy is still coming, but he's got a young adult trilogy in the works as well and the first book of that will be out soon. You can read the full blog post here.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Nevvy Z posted:

What else are you going to do, root for the one who eats people?

Try rooting for the people caught in the middle between the terrible, terrible power players.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Zeitgueist posted:

I've always thought it was quite clear that the Bloody Nine is a part of Logen's personality...a part he is ashamed of, but at the most a dissociative/schizophrenic/mutliple personality disorder.

Saying that they are actually two beings strikes me as an attempt to rationalize a character that readers love with the fact that he's also a murdering psychopath.

Especially given that his entire arc in the trilogy is about subverting any idea that he is at heart a good person. I mean, that doesn't preclude the Bloody Nine from being some sort of spirit manifestation but it's super-clear that even non-berserk Logen is, well... Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers. Say he's a oval office.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Rurik posted:

I too subscribe to this theory, because it adds more depth to his character and makes a lot more interesting story than "oooo spooky spirits :ghost:"

I'm listening to TBI as an audiobook and yesterday reached the part where Logen meets Malacus Quai. Logen is about to eat last food he has with him when Quai arrives. The apprentice asks if Logen has already eaten and Logen lies that he has, so Quai can eat with good conscience. Later when their horse dies and Quai is dying of fever, Logen asks directions to Bayaz and instead of abandoning the apprentice who's a big liability Logen carries him for the last few days despite being weak and wounded himself. So... say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he's a life-saver?

I think I might've come up with a solution to the "this character is good/bad" debate, which seems to have stuck in a perpetual loop in this thread. Maybe we've been falling for the fallacy that there are good and bad people. It's refreshing to think that there are simply people, that they do good and bad deeds and some of them tend to do more of either one (but that doesn't make it necessary to label them CHAOTIC GOOD or LAWFUL EVIL).

Oh, sure. But the whole progress Logen goes through in the trilogy is to realise that he can't be a good person as long as he's in the North, and that's presumably why he flees to the Near Country. Where it turns out he can't be a good person either, really. Certainly nowhere near as good as he'd like to be.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The Rat posted:

If that's a premise you find interesting, check out Flashman by George Macdonald Fraser.

Yes. Hearty endorsement of this recommendation.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The Rat posted:

Figures that someone with your user name would endorse it. Paucis carior est fides quam pecunia, eh?

Ex Abercrombie thread semper aliquid novi.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Jeffrey posted:

No more First Law books until 2017 then. Pack it in it's gonna be a long thread.

As thread creator I hereby decree that this doesn't become another Bad Thread. For the love of God please.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
'Pussy-rear end philosophy' is the funniest thing I've seen in this thread in ages, well done.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Abercrombie's point was that good and evil don't give karmic rewards and are complex in themselves, not that such moral judgements don't exist at all. The First Law is very much a response to heroic fantasy where the good side triumphs; Abercrombie shows both that you can't easily pick a 'good' side and that good people might end up with a raw deal.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Exactly right, yes. They still continue the story from The First Law trilogy but they're self-contained rather than open-ended.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
"Tolkien :argh:" is kind of the theme of the trilogy so you'll get along just fine.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Red Country has a backgrounded critique of the effects of industrialisation, too. It's made clear that industrialisation is not an Incontrovertible Good.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

the JJ posted:

Cool, so long as the pay off is there.

e: This is about the only reason I'm sticking with Rothfuss, so it's sorta nice knowing that there's some sort of payoff.

Personally I think some of the payoff comes in Before They Are Hanged, but aye.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I enjoyed Half A King - it's very readable and it gets the obvious, predictable twist out of the way almost immediately so that the more interesting story can take precedence. It's nowhere near as good as Abercrombie's adult books (and noticeably more 'YA' in that regard than something like China Mieville's Railsea, which retained a fair bit of complexity) but it's a good quick read nonetheless. Satisfying ending and I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest of the trilogy too. It's just not another Heroes.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Jeffrey posted:

The OP should definitely be edited with a warning if we allow spoilers - looks like the OP still posts on these forums so that's viable. I think any book is hurt by even spoiler-warninged discussion of it, unless its a book club type deal where everyone reads to a certain point and discusses it.

What sort of thing would you want edited in? Just a warning that most of the books are fair game for spoiler-tag-free discussion in the later pages so get out if you haven't read them and don't want to be spoiled?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I started it before Best Served Cold was out if I remember rightly. Also there's a big troll spoiler on like page 1 and 2 so even those aren't safe, exactly. I should probably just put a warning in the first post and be done with it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I'd be interested to hear your fuller thoughts once you've processed it.

Also, you've got another three books in the same setting (and with plenty of returning characters as well as new ones) to get through!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch has a similar vibe although I've only read the first book of those. I really liked it, but I've heard the quality drops off after that - thankfully it stands alone pretty well.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Peztopiary posted:

Locke Lamorra books are someone's D&D campaign world on paper. They're no better and no worse than the Malazan stuff, but that is what they're most similar to. I enjoyed them, but they're nothing like Abercrombie.

Are the other books really that different, then, because this description doesn't ring true to me at all for the first book. If it did I'd have run a mile; I bounced right off Malazan, couldn't stand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fire Safety Doug posted:

There's no universally agreed best book for Abercrombie, really. All of them have their fans and their detractors. BSC probably just isn't for you in the same way as TFL.

Yeah BSC is some people's favourite but not mine for sure.