Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Is there any chance we will be able to buy an epub of this thing somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
You guys are too harsh on Logen, who does he kill that doesn't have it coming to them during the books while he's not possessed by some crazy rear end demon? He keeps trying to lead a peaceful life but when he gets sucked back into violence he's only killing other guys who are trying to kill him or are kidnapping kids or whatever.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
You guys must be bad at reading books or just being willfully ignorant if you don't see logen have supernatural fighting powers that only appear when his normal character literally blacks out and just wakes up later confused and in a ton of pain. When he's fighting fenris the feared it goes out of the way to mention him feeling a cold icy feeling surging in his body which is consistent with other magical events in the books.

What I got from the character is a guy who regrets what he's done in the past and keeps trying to lead a better life but has to go back to his old ways if the circumstances demand it. He also seems to have guilt but also acceptance over him blacking out and waking up to a pile of dead guys he doesn't even remember killing, enemies or otherwise. In the fight with fenris and in parts of red country you get the impression he doesn't really understand what happens to him but is willing to use it to get through a tough situation.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Haha I guess people like characters they can relate to so I shouldn't be surprised that it's popular on SA to interpret logen as just being mentally ill.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Yea I mean you see people with multiple personality disorder do this kind of stuff in real life too, makes perfect sense.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

Yes, and I stand by that, because they ARE fantasy books and not meant to be realistic, so a person who chooses to interpret Logen as mentally ill can do that despite the situation not being medically accurate. I dont know how to break it to you, but authors often exaggerate things in fiction, so if someone chooses to believe that thats what Abercrombie did, I wouldn't hold it against them, even though I dont agree.

Except that it's stupid and doesn't make sense unless you go through the gooniest of mental gymnastics to ignore the author and completely misinterpret a character on purpose so you join in on an autistic echo chamber in this thread.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

docbeard posted:

See also: Logen Ninefingers.

What did Logen do that was bad?

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Abercrombie posted a page from his new trilogy on twitter, spoilers I guess:

https://twitter.com/LordGrimdark/status/908977280805933056

Nothing really surprising; bayaz using cannons against the ghurkish in the never ending war.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I look at this universe as the Wire meets low fantasy. Everyone is a slave to the systems they inhabit. It's different in that the there really is an immortal Illuminati playing their own power games.

I really hope that the next trilogy ends with Bayez getting got.

That's way too conventional for @lordgrimdark. I think it's more likely you have Bayez get unceremoniously wrecked early in the new trilogy and have the rest of the books dealing with the power vacuum and maybe having the other magi or Bayez's cannibal henchman causing mayhem.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

loquacius posted:

Another fun part of my reread is seeing young Jezal's scenes playing cards with his young dumb drinking buddies and remembering in full detail how each of them eventually dies and what rank they get overpromoted to first

e: ok come to think of it I don't think Brint dies onscreen, does he? Still though

Brint loses an arm in the heroes leading some dudes against Stranger-Come-Knocking and his crew.

I just finished the new book and feel mostly positive about it. I'm not sure I'd put ahead of any of the other first law books yet but I feel like it's hard to judge 1 piece of the puzzle and the next two books will probably enhance this first one. I liked the new characters by and large, and enjoyed the old ones getting as much screen time as they did. I was reminded of the new star wars films a bit with the generation gap in characters and felt like this book did a better job balancing the new vs the old but obviously that's much easier in a book than a movie.

Some spoilerish musings:

- Does anyone else get the sense that Bayaz/Sulfur are setting up Glokta/Orso, etc to take the fall for the social upheaval? I was thinking it would make things particularly tragic if Glokta is forced to keep cracking down on the peasants under orders from Bayaz while Bayaz himself is helping push things over the edge. The conversation between Orso and Glokta about funding Orso's army did a good job hinting at Glokta's exasperation at having to be Bayaz's mouthpiece in the government. There was a hint earlier, I think when Sulfur was talking to Calder, that the magi find it preferable to have conflict to keep the union sharp. If Bayaz can see the industrial revolution is bound to be a paradigm shift, why not tilt things the way you want and position yourself to pick up the pieces afterwards? It seemed like Sulfur was approving of Calder/Scale's war as it was good to have some controlled conflict here and there.

- Wonderful getting killed like that was a fun shocker. I feel like she would have done the same to Clover if given the opportunity based on how quickly she abandoned Dow after Craw was out of the picture in The Heroes but that was still cold blooded none the less.

- Orso seems like a fun twist on the Jezal character. Jezal was a worthless rear end in a top hat until he had a change of mind in extreme circumstances. Orso seems more like he's a spoiled brat who wishes he could be a decent human being if allowed to.

- I'm 50/50 on the lamb being Orso or Logen...

- I really hope Gorst gets to carve up some people before the series is over.

My favorite Cosca scene was him smirking and telling Glokta he escaped Degoska by dressing up like a woman and loving and sucking his way out of the city while Glokta is rolling his eyes.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Paddyo posted:

I never got the impression that Leo was ever supposed to be a complete rear end in a top hat - more that he was a super immature and naive teenager. He comes off to me as one of those "shades of grey" type of characters, and heck, those are always more interesting than the one-dimensional types. I think Abercrombie is setting up how easily he can be manipulated, which will probably play a big part in the direction that the rest of the series takes.

Yea the biggest impression I had of Leo was that he was severely naive. In his mind he sees himself as the second coming of Gorst but when rubber meets the road he's not exactly depicted as a dominant fighter. Prophecy aside, this makes his acceptance of the dual a real bonehead move consider how easy Nightfall was working him over.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Yuru Sulfur recognized Clover in the last book but clover didn't recognize him so that may or may not actually be a clue, who knows.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Ccs posted:

He's got too much ego for that. He sees the Union as his home base that won't be in any danger because the bank is too entwined with everything there. Meanwhile he's spending his time dealing with issues on the frontier with border skirmishes concerning Zacharius and his new imperials.

I think it's implied that his issues on the frontier are what caused all the other issues that were bubbling over at home to escape his notice. Yoru Sulfur is supposed to keep stuff under control in his absence but wasn't able to do much aside from be Orso's bodyguard and tutt disapprovingly when the battle was going on in The Trouble with Peace.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Bayez likes a little chaos and things getting shaken up from a social Darwinism angle. Basically as long as things don't spin too out of control, he's fine if Calder invades the union's protectorate, or if the nobles engage in various plots against each other. I have a feeling the line is drawn when there's a full on civil war or revolt among the plebiscite. Even then, it doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to subvert whoever takes power once the dust settles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie, say he's finally getting a book adapted to film:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1663617047518154752?s=20

Apparently he's the screenwriter for it too!

https://twitter.com/LordGrimdark/status/1663620918256492544?s=20