Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So, I finished reading the first 3 books and I have a question. Sort of. Glokta's mother is Carmen dan Roth, right? So many people called him a bastard.

I mean there is even the short story A Beautiful Bastard.

He must have been somewhat taken aback when Bayaz did his thing in Last Argument of Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Neurosis posted:

i have never understood glokta to be a bastard???

Well no, his mother was married off. Like Ardee.

It's ironic. Sand knows full well the lords round would never have anything to do with him. So he says nothing. He knows full well that Jezal is not the son of Carmee. It suits his character. As he was spared, so he does the same for the new bastard.

He was the first one to mention Carmee, again to Ardee.

A Beautiful Bastard, does the author have to use a club?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ZekeNY posted:

Well it could be that he was "adopted" into a noble family, like Jezal was, but I don't remember any hints of that during the various discussions of him convalescing at his mother's estate. If anything, his mom seemed more protective than you'd expect from someone fostering a bastard -- chasing West away when he came to visit and so on. I'll have to have another look.

Umm, not like the situation with Jezal. More like the situation with Ardee and her child. I assume the new bastard with also be called x dan Glokta.

Sand would have been Bayaz's insurance were he not captured and turned into grotesquery, sending him back as a nice present. Why would they do that? They have shown they dont take prisoners and dont care for their own. Bayaz is also suspiciously interested in him.

It's one of the numerous parallels that exist in the books.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I know this is probably wrong but was it Bayaz who hit Jezal with the mace? We never see the wielder and it suits his purposes: "It will serve."

It wouldn't have been hard for him to get his apprentice (yeah I know) to go along with it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

One thing I've been wondering about is, if magic is running out of the world... What's gonna happen with all the magic people, the super powered cannibals and long lived mages that rule it from behind the scenes, they are immortal thanks to magic, but when it's gone... will they die, at once, or just keep growing old and then die? I guess Bayaz might be an exception now since he's got that orb that is the only thing that can supply new magic into the world. He did look younger from channeling the magic it was said.

He can't touch it at will though. He channeled the energies. Presumably he will have to get Ferro pregnant, somehow. :ohdear: With a demon perhaps? I feel sorry for the demon.

Suxpool posted:

I don't think we ever saw anything to suggest that Bayaz' "mana burn" illnesses were anything but legit.

I had assumed he woke up during the fight and seized the opportunity. There was no hint of a third bandit and the only suspect that was behind Jezal was Bayaz. Why would a bad guy hit Jezal in the jaw with a mace from behind, why not just brain him? Seem suspicious to me.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Who would Peter Gantzler be playing? He is too old for Logen.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Destro posted:

Someone should read those and tell me if any are good. Please? Also self published book covers are always the best.

By best do you mean most dreadful offences to design artwork?

Suxpool posted:

I bought a few of them. Been reading this Kings of Paradise and it's pretty good. Nothing revolutionary, but as BOTL would remind us all, there's no such thing as original any more.

His posts are his proof.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Neurosis posted:

I gather we're all assuming it's probably Jezal's daughter also since Mr Glokta lacks the equipment to make children?

Perhaps I missed something here?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

xsf421 posted:

First law trilogy spoilers:

Glokta got snipped by the Gurkish, he married Ardi at the end of the first trilogy to hide that she was pregnant out of wedlock.

I know what he meant, sorry. I must have missed an important monologue or comment by another actor, about him being no man at all? I do, perhaps mistakenly, remember an internal comment about "at least that still works, not that he would get to use it." Him being a despicable cripple and too proud to see a pro.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I like how his mother repeatedly bursts into Orso's room when he has company, usually of the naked female variety. It's such a great detail.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He made a brief appearance before that, though it could have been sulphur.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That was the Union.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I was very much amused by the homoerotic undercurrents of Leo and his chums. Which friend is super thirsty for him?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Other than the fact that one of the POV characters was to be a sex slave until she mutilated herself

I'm coming up blank here. Who?

Yon lady of note at the end of the 3rd book is essentially forced into a life of gilded several children or your lover gets a bad case of dead slavery. Though that is much the same for most high born people of any age. He didn't have to be so mean about it though.

There are plenty of arrangements all through the books.

It's fairly dark, but the narrative style is amusing. Sugar coating for the bitter pill of quasi-historical accuracy.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
To be fair to Joe, he doesn't sell his books on the promise of rainbows and unicorns.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

RCarr posted:

I’m thinking someone like Mads Mikkelsen as Shivers.

Alexander Skarsgård did a fine job in The Northman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Haven't read the last one, yet. Is there a yound Napoleon character?

Re: westerns fantasy: the Jerusalem Man/Jon Shannow books were really good.