Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
These are fantastic books. It's really refreshing to see a fantasy series that isn't bogged down with description. All the dialogue feels pretty natural, and whereas other fantasy is quite often unrealistic in it's dialogue, Abercrombie just comes along with a line like 'gently caress you, you loving pig fucker' or something that makes it so much more realistic (insofar as books like these can be).

Spoilers for the First Law trilogy: Psychotic though they all are, when Glokta realises Severard and Frost are betraying him and kills them made me sad. I really wanted for these three psycho's to make it through together. :(

Spoiler for Best Served Cold: So I always interpreted the whole incest thing as being more like an insult and an attempt by whoever said it (it's been a while since I read it) to weaken her standing with her group. I guess some of the flashbacks with her brother were a tad creepy. Like I said, it's been a while since I read it so if I've totally missed something, do tell. :)

These books are the bomb, anyone who's into fantasy should read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Kaddish posted:

I don't remember Sulfur being an eater.

Yeah, he is. He's the one who killed the decent Prince, so that Luthar could become king under Bayaz's influence. There's a conversation when Luthar is all 'but how is he an Eater, I thought they all worked for Khalul' and Bayaz is all 'not all Eaters follow the prophet. :smug:'

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Tipped posted:

Just finished BSC. I now need a book solely on Shenkt. Bayaz and Khalul are not willing to sort their problems out like men, so Shenkt is first in line to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Yeah I really liked that he introduced a third, minor player in the big mystical struggle. Bayaz and the Union, Khalul and the Ghurkish and now Shenkt and Styria.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Picked it up for £6.99 on Waterstones online store, advise any UK goons to take advantage of this. Very good price for a newly released, fairly long hardback book. Also thoroughly enjoyed it.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

spandexcajun posted:

No idea how I found it, but this persons deviantart sketches are cute.

http://sir-heartsalot.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0

Apart from logen and Vitari I have literally no idea who all those characters are supposed to be. Is that the same guy who did cutesy drawings of GoT characters who are like massive rapists or torturers?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
They're terrible is what they are.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Lmao they look like they're all being played by the same actor in different wigs. Peter Sellers/Adam Sandler style.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm not through this book yet, only just started, but so far I just wanna say, Leo is such a dumb motherfucker who acts like a sullen child more often than not.

Sadly, the advice 'Be Gay, Do Crimes' was only half followed by Leo, thus leading to his downfall. Interesting that they never mentioned what happened to Glaward and Jurand after they were caught, that's got to come back into it in book 3.

Also enjoyed that even the glimpse into Antaup's POV during the battle heavily hinted at him swinging a sword for the other team too. Leo And The Boys, so gay they all became soldiers together instead of just loving.

a shitty king fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 21, 2020

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Ccs posted:

Sounds like he had some tv stuff in progress…

Isn't he a TV editor as well? Could still be doing that on the side, authors don't make too much right? Even if they're mildly successful.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

adebisi lives posted:

Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie, say he's finally getting a book adapted to film:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1663617047518154752?s=20

Apparently he's the screenwriter for it too!

https://twitter.com/LordGrimdark/status/1663620918256492544?s=20

Extremely good casting choice. Wonder if they'll keep the incest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It's not my nine seasons of HBO prestige drama but it's a good start.

Nice standalone story. The continuity stuff is easily cut (King Jezal in the brothel, etc) and if they ever wanted to adapt the Blade Itself they could probably just swing BSC as a prequel, so Monza is already queen by the time the Blade Itself begins. Doesn't affect too much else.