Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
What's wrong with Vitari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'd love to see The Heroes adapted into a Ken Burns style "documentary."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Office-style "documentary." Make it work HBO

*Gorst brutally murders 22 people*
*Smash cut to Gorst in a conference room bitching about being Friendzoned*

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I assume that the brief glimpses we've gotten of our new protagonists are to give us a positive view of both that can be brutally undercut.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I’m on DT book 4 right now. 1 was dogshit, 2 & 3 were great, and 4 is.... ok to decent, being halfway through.

These are the first Stephen King books I’ve read. He’s very bipolar in his writing style after reading 3.5 books.

Stop after 4 and make up your own ending. Whatever you want, it will be an improvement.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Rereading the first law trilogy and the seed is just straight up haunted plutonium, yes?

Man I can't wait for the new trilogy. His April progress report says he's got 40,000 words to then end of the rough draft of the third goddamn book and A Little Hatred is still on track for summer of 2019. Looking forward to some new POVs but more than anything I want a Glotka scheme to take down the Magus.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 14, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Bodie Bruce with two different eye colors.

"Got that White Flow!"

They've set up some fantastic conflict potential with a revived old empire and a united Styria with their own patrons.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Hmm, yes. I see what you mean. He creates characters that seem familiar because they initially remind us of other characters then develops them in different directions.

I seem to recall from my very serious writer courses that there was a name for doing something like that.

Edit: my problem was that Bayez didn't remind me of anyone at first, I mean you don't see many people who look like butchers in fantasy and that's the only characterization that Abercrombie gives him.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 13, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’ll admit, the Gurkish being a bunch of desert religious fanatics spurred on to brutal violence by a false religious leader they call The Prophet (as opposed to the 800 other religious titles that couldn’t have been used that aren’t associated with Mohamed) rubbed me the wrong way.

They were spurred on by the Union executing two successive ambassadors. The second guy wasn't religious at all and was offended at the prospect that he served Khalul. The emporer offered the Union a face-saving peace. Khalul was advocating war with the Union and the Hundred Words were capeable of handling Bayaz until he pulled a fantasy nuke out of his rear end. As badly as they wanted thier shot at the Magus, they needed the Emporer's okay.

So Uthman-ul-Dosht appears to have more autonomy in Khalul's realm than the King of the Union does under Bayaz. I, a simpleton, look forward to learning about how the fantasy Caliphate is not as it described by it's antagonists.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Guildencrantz posted:

What the hell is wrong with cutout genre characters that aren't like real people, anyway? There's a reason there's so many of them around, and have been forever, and it's because people find certain larger-than-life types in stories compelling.

It isn't. Some random is working off his/her grad school frustrations by :words:-vomiting out what boils down to "your subjective opinion is objectively wrong."

I'm sorry they hurt you, Bravestofthelams.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Look at his post history in this thread, he was pretty enthusiastic about them for a long time, but I guess that doesn’t work with his current posting gimmick or whatever.

Lol.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

All the characters and their stories were great, basically.

So this is all just an opportunity for dude to name-drop the totally serious modernist incest fiction he's in to.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

A human heart posted:

Oh so modernist fiction about incest is supposed to be bad now?

If you enjoyed reading it then you suck you loving simp.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

A human heart posted:

Are you ok my man

Upon further reflection, it's probably okay to like things.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Wanna see the Magus deal with a depression and run on the bank.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

spandexcajun posted:

I've read shitloads of fantasy and some westerns so I was well prepped for Joe's first works. I have not really read any Victorian era / Industrial revolution books. Time to hit up some Dicken's I guess :)

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn universe starts medievalish then applies the rules of the magic system to a functional western in a follow on trilogy.

It's fun!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I look at this universe as the Wire meets low fantasy. Everyone is a slave to the systems they inhabit. It's different in that the there really is an immortal Illuminati playing their own power games.

I really hope that the next trilogy ends with Bayez getting got.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It seems like even if magic is fading the Magi can still bang, but doing so leaves them (Bayez at least) vulnerable. Better to invest in proxies, tech, and soft power to do your fighting for you.

The interim books have done a decent job of setting up independent actors that could at least attempt to shake things up.

Return of King Cassomir plese

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 2, 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I thought it was heavily implied that Bayeaz was eating the dead during his chat with Calder in The Heroes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

That makes sense. I just figured he started up after the seed didn't work out and he'd been booted from the House of the Maker.

I'm looking forward to the Great Power politics that has been set up for the new trilogy. The Ghurkish have had time to recover while the Union has been constantly tied up in the North, Styria is ostensibly united under Murcatto and backed by Shenkt and the Old Empire is getting its poo poo together under Goltus and Zacharus. The North is technically under Bayez, but there's no way Calder is smart enough to not gently caress it up.

I get the impression that the Old Empire is more of a China analogue than Rome. If that's true, they can be formidable if they aren't killing each other.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Quai was such an interesting character and I'm sad he got merked off-screen. How does one come to apprentice with the Illuminati?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It's pretty rich that Bayez was able to be snowed so completely by fake Malacus. I wonder if his overt involvement in politics again is driven by his art starting to finally fade.

Oh God, Bayez is a Boomer.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

He never felt the need to dig up the Nuke of the Covenant and fiddle with cannons before.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I've just assumed that Bedesh seeded the world and the North specifically, with disciples who went native and bred the aptitude for Art into the population which is why you'll occasionally see witches with actual power and Logan with his now rare ability.

I'm still amazed the series hasn't been optioned for TV yet.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Some of the early reviews have betrayed a weird Abercrombie calling card:

Incest. Sabine Dan Glotka is banging Prince Orso in secret.

I cannot wait to see what a useless lump Jezal has become.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They....aren't related? Am I remembering something wrong? Ardee and West were related, Jezal liked her as well. Glotka got the power and the girl.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought one reason for the Weet/Glotka marriage was that Jezal had knocked Ardee up.

Edit: yeah, hiding the soon to be Royal Bastard was part of the marriage.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 22, 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Hoping for a vengeful rad-ghoul Collum West twist.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

He's one of the few people who experienced moral growth.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Brother Longfoot is somehow even worse in the audiobooks where he gets a "Fisher Stevens in short circuit" Indian spin.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Magitek posted:

About to start reading the new book. Any important sections of the previous books I should review beforehand? Particular minor characters, secondary plot arcs, etc? It's probably been 5 years since I read the original trilogy and 3 years since the other novels.

Go in blind. The references will be there for you and certain things, if forgotten will be gut punches all over again.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I don't think it's Bayez that killed Jezal. His whole thing is Union stability and killing the absolute monarch you control doesn't do that. It especially doesn't do that when the heir looks like a jackass and a powerful rival has just joined the stage.A civil war is a messy way of getting whatever social change he might want.

My thought for the open door/empty room was Tolemei and/or Yulwei getting out of the house of the maker.

Overall I liked the new characters, but I disliked the lack of world building. The Heroes really set the North up as a diverse and contentious place and it seemed to regress. I was fine with that if the Northern war was resolved with this book, but since we're doing "short-sighted king reaches for the stars" again it just seems too pat.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The weirdest thing to me is that Glotka hadn't told Sabine how the world really works. "Stay away from Valant and Balk" is not sufficient warning given the circles she runs in and if anything her lack of dealings with them would be more likely to find other ways to gain influence over her. There is no way that Glotka doesn't have the "evil wizard props up this entire facade" chat with her prior to the events of this book.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah that's true. I expect Jezal to be too cowardly to tell Orso, but I feel like Glotka should know better. Not only is "NEVER use this bank, don't ask me why" creating a mystery for her to solve, if she's a major player in Union Finance but spurns dealing with Bayaz's bank as a rule then she's putting herself on the radar anyway.

I think the repetition of the Northern war plot is frustrating because we've gotten a picture of the wider world. It's fine if it's just table-setting, but if this while trilogy is just a view from the puppets gallery I'll be sad. Did the Union retake Dagostka? Did they lose Westport? What's up with the old empire? There's so much of a bigger world out there that I want more of and I'm afraid they're just sending Kvote back to college.

My hunch/hope is that the rest of Magi are coming for Bayaz like he led them against the Maker, but he's too powerful to confront directly. I don't think that he killed Jezal, despite his appearance of acceptance. Union stability is his whole thing. A succession is chaotic. A succession crisis where the crown prince is challenged by a popular young Lord is more chaotic. A civil war is max chaos. Powerful families can hold generational sway over a democracy, but it's no substitute for autocracy especially if you don't give a poo poo about the pesants.

I think that Bayaz was planting seeds for eventual succession options like he did with Jezal but someone forced his hand.

That said, I do think that Bayaz was the Weaver and he touched off the revolt to undermine peasant solidarity. He led the breakers to start the revolt, hosed off and let the burners take over and make a mess of everything, then had everyone hanged. I don't think we'll see any other well intentioned revolts in the near future.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Adua literally has a magic tower built by the son of God, so it's not like they don't believe in a higher power or pantheon. What the Union lacks is an organized bureaucracy around religion, presumably because Bayez didn't want one.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Logen being back in the North is pretty unfeasible would make me sad. Let the man ride off into the sunset.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Jonas Steepfield, a named man new to the narrative.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

To be fair, brutality is sort of a common job in the North. It's the equivalent of someone in our world putting retail behind them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm really disappointed that Gorst didn't go native in the North. They'd have given him a name like "Squeaky" and still made him king.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I was trying to think about characters that had "good" endings. The old king of the Union maybe? He died old, fat, and oblivious. Vitale and her kids seemed pretty good.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah I didn't think to include anyone who is still alive because Abercrombie could still throw them stage 4 magic cancer at any time.

Ardee certainly could have done worse for herself though the various deceits required have landed her in a Greek tragedy.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Bayez as the Weaver has gotten bored with his SimUnion game and is now just exploring the diaster tab.