Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Orange Carebear posted:

Right. Its not so much about the setting and the universe he has created (in fact, his world is almost Black Company like in its disregard for maps/a living, breathing world), but about the characters he creates and the way he uses them to completely annihilate every standard fantasy cliche. In fact, I would go so far as to say that he purposefully makes the setting (cold northern barbarians, middle eastern desert Gurkish, generic temperate kingdom with knights, etc) familiar to fantasy readers because it makes his destruction of other cliches that much more astounding.

And because if you focus on "world-building" you end up with the Wheel of loving Time. Sniff sniff, tugg tugg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Orange Carebear posted:

I'm not saying that is a bad thing - far from it. By skipping the world building parts (and really, at this point who needs 3 page descriptions of random towns) it lets him keep the storyline tight and fast moving.

I know, I was agreeing with you.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

TShields posted:

Not sure if I like him anymore, Logen wouldn't have done that. :colbert:

Bloody Nine would have.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

TShields posted:

Finally finished last night and I loved every minute of it. I swear to God, if we don't find out what the deal is with the loving bank some day, I'm going to poo poo a brick.

It's owned by Bayaz who uses it as a tool to control the union.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

anathenema posted:

That was my point, yes. The Chekov's gun principle should be applied to worldbuilding: if a detail is revealed, it should be relevant to the plot. Abercrombie does this well.

Whereas with Robert Jordan you get 800 pages of what dresses and coats everyone is wearing and then 10 pages of stuff happening.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

IRQ posted:

The Northmen, well it literally translates to Normans and they were vikings so...

The Northmen are meant to be Anglo-Saxons. If anyone is meant to be the Normans it's the Union. Learn your history.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Hollis posted:

the latest Author I am fixing to try is Stephen Lynch as he was recommended by Joe Abercrombie apparently. That and Lies of Loc Morra is a very familiar title to me.

It might be familiar to you due to Lynch pulling a GRRM and being well overdue with the next book. Apparently he has a nasty habit of completely dropping off the grid to such an extent that his publishers can't contact him. Oh, and it's Scott Lynch, not Stephen.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Yadoppsi posted:

It's been a while since I read LAoK, but in the final Logan chapter, doesn't Black Dow rattle off the ways Ninefingers is worse than him?

He did and he was completely right.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

IRQ posted:

I agreed with this until the last time I moved and had to carry all those loving books.

Which is exactly why I paid a removal firm to do that poo poo for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Above Our Own posted:

I felt the final act of the book lacked oomph, mainly because the pacing was so rushed compared to what came before. It seemed like an earlier Abercrombie wrote the last fifth of the book, but not bad on the whole.

Yeah, he went to all the trouble of setting up a brilliant fantasy-Deadwood, then just drops it because he doesn't have enough word-count left to do anything with it. Saying that, I think the whole fellowship section is too long and drawn out and probably could have been cut down to half the length.