Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Eminent Domain posted:

I feel like it is going to be a little different at least.

I'm just hoping my boy Orso comes out okayish or at least gets to go "at least it isn't a hanging" when they guillotine him.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Abercrombie subverts expectations I suppose.

I went into this series thinking It would be the one where Bayaz meets his end or at least gets some comeuppance……….well gently caress I guess that happens because by the end he loses literally all the influence he had and all he plans get hosed……but Abercrombie did it in a way that left me completely disappointed

Overall I enjoyed it and I’m glad it seems like we’re gonna get more.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

gently caress Bayaz!

Wait no not like that!

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Shivers is awesome, you just have to give him some time.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

FWIW, a lot of people think The Heroes (the next standalone book) is the best he's ever written, so it's definitely worth powering through and going one book further. Or, you know, if you're really not feeling BSC, just putting it down and skipping ahead. There are some references later on to the events of BSC and it does change the status quo a little bit but it's nothing you can't figure out through context (or googling a plot synopsis).

I do like BSC if only because it lets my boy Cosca have an arc, I liked him in it a lot. I did not like him in Red Country one bit however

Heroes is awesome, also yeah Cosca is probably the highlight in BSC.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

i don't know if it's possible to both like a character and be glad he's dead but abercrombie pulled that off with morveer for me

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

RCarr posted:

What book was Friendly in. Because he’s the best character of that book.

Best served cold

When he tried going back to prison lol

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Was he confirmed the dice dude in the new trilogy at cardotis house of leisure?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I love how obvious everything is on read-throughs. This series is one of my favorites for sure.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I need to go back through the new trilogy. I thought Bayaz killed Jezel though.

I feel like I can sum up the new trilogy like this, going into it I wanted Bayaz to eat poo poo or lose control in a way, maybe even kill him or have that final confrontation.

After finishing it I feel like I kinda got what I wanted, but not in the way I wanted to get it.

I feel like that kinda sums up Abercrombie’s writing in general. I was a bit disappointed that we didn’t get the final confrontation but I feel like he’s not done with it yet so we are going to get at least another trilogy. How that one goes could completely change the way I feel about this one. Similar to an empire strikes back situation where people were booing in the theater.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

I enjoyed it on the whole; probably a little less than the first trilogy or the better parts of the standalone novels but it's still a first law trilogy. If you've read and enjoyed all the books up till now, I would recommend that you keep going

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Red country is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Hell yeah