Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

VagueRant posted:

Anyway, while I think all Logen's stories have been told, I reckon it was his popularity that got him brought back at all to be in Red Country, and will bring him back again. Wouldn't be surprised if we get a glimpse in the third book of the new trilogy as its so referential to the original First Law.

I'm fairly convinced we've already seen him in A Little Hatred. Broad see's a large old man with a star shaped scar on his cheek in a line in Valbeck, thinks he's a veteran, and they almost come to blows. Logen has this scar (from the fight with The Feared) in Red Country and is as much of a shitter as Broad. Maybe more of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

If he only saw one scar, it probably wasn't him. Logen is described as being fairly hideous, with a face like a cutting board, the first time we see him from another protagonist's point of view, isn't he?

I could see Abercrombie leaving Logen's fate up in the air. However, the scar is oddly specific to a character we know and has been described to us exactly that way before, and Broad's use of the term veteran could just be euphemistic in terms of his looks. I wonder if the old man will strangely show up at Jezal's funeral.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Yeah, while there's bad stuff that happens he doesn't wallow in it. Usually the bad stuff is brutal and fast, and then it's over. These books have nothing on some of the awfulness in Malazan (like the loving hobbling).

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

multijoe posted:

Spoilers are mostly fake idea

Agreed. If a spoiler ruins a story, it's a poorly written story that probably doesn't stand on its own. In this specific case, Joe tells you exactly what the villain is the first time he's seen by a POV character in The Blade Itself.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
He's too old for shivers in best served cold. He'd be a good shivers in the second trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Monica Bellucci posted:

Best character thus far is easily Glokta, I dig his backstory and his bit about hating stairs hits home as I hosed my back recently and yep, same here.

Funny thing, that. Back pain is exactly what inspired Glokta. See Joe's answer to question 5

Also drat, looking back at his blogging and old Twitter feed makes me wish he was posting somewhere still these days.