Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xenix posted:

Just finished the book today and generally enjoyed it. I'm kind of disappointed the next one won't be out for another year. Some thoughts I didn't see touched on in the discussion so far:

In Rikke's third fit, she sees an old chief, dead, and assumes it's the Dogman. Isern even asks her if it is the Dogman and she asks who else it could be. I can only think that their discussion was misdirection because a couple chapters later Jezal is dead instead.

I assumed that was about Scale but yeah, I suppose either would count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

coolusername posted:

However, Clover killing Wonderful DEFINITELY landed with the shock without being just for shock value - it fits in with absolutely every single part of his internal monologue and the set up while still being a surprise, and there's enough female characters POV in play that it feels bad without being.. well, a lot of fantasy books.

Yeah, that caught me off guard too, it was a real moment. As I read it I got like, genuinely mad at him. But as you say, in retrospect it makes perfect sense for what his character would do in an extreme situation like that, and the book was telling us what kind of person he was the whole time, it’s just easy to miss because he’s always in the presence of much scummier people, he seems folksy and harmless in comparison.

Also, when we learned that clover changed his name after a near-death experience, I thought that he was going to turn out to be an old character from an earlier book; but he’s not, right? I don’t remember the old name that we learn.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 9, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of gorst, it’s been too long since I read the heroes; what was the arc of his relationship with finree again? I feel like that plot line is important again but I don’t quite remember what happened.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tokenbrownguy posted:

^ got so friendzoned he broke

Lol now it’s coming back. I couldn’t remember if they ever hooked up and there was a chance Leo was his son. One secret bastard is probably enough for the trilogy though

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

loquacius posted:

here lies Gorst, he never scored

As for adebisi lives's theories: am I remembering wrong or did we never actually learn what The Weaver's real identity was? Because it would be both horrible and awesome if it was Bayaz, who is now behind all sides of every conflict everywhere

I would really like if in the next book we get to see a glimpse of Bayaz and Zacharus/Cawneil having proxy battles in Gurkhul to see who gets to hoover up more of Khalul's turf

e: one of my favorite lowkey moments from the new book was Leo geeking out when he finally got to meet Gorst in person but immediately being disappointed by Gorst's weak handshake, because that proves that sadly this famous war hero is actually bitchmade

I don’t think we ever learned who the weaver was, no. I would be curious to see what bayaz’ role in this one is gonna be; the industrial revolution is pitched as some kind of “the age of magic is waning” thing, so I’m interested to learn how much of it happened without his permission, considering the union is his bumbling puppet state in most other regards.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ZekeNY posted:

Partially let off the chain, even. "I should warn you that I was still holding back." Same old Gorst; I hope he survives the clearing out of the old generation into book 3 at least.

That was a cool as hell scene; I also selfishly hope that Gorst survives, but on the other hand I feel like he's been ready to die since book 1 of the first trilogy but death just won't have him

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

loquacius posted:

That's the thing, though -- accepting the duel without having any idea how good a fighter Stour was was really the only example I can think of of him doing anything that could be really considered a "bad idea" in the scheme of things, and that was most of the way through the book, after I had already been subjected to many chapters of everyone hating him for what seemed to be no good reason. Like, give me a chapter where he bites super hard on a feint and gets a whole bunch of people killed and barely escapes with his life or something to show how dumb he is, that wouldn't have been hard.

As it was, his first chapter essentially being him going to his mom with big doe eyes all like "look, Mommy, I won a victory, are you proud of me? Please please say a single solitary nice thing to me for the first time ever" and her responding with "jesus gently caress why am I saddled with this utter embarrassment failure of an idiot-child, sorry everyone, he's just, like, super dumb" kind of set the tone for the rest of his chapters for me. You're right that the Rikke examples are more explainable, and they wouldn't have felt the same way to me if it wasn't for the Finree ones.

I dunno it's entirely possible this is personal for me because near the end of the book, when he'd won the war and his only remaining parent finally DID give him a single sentence of praise and he thought something about how that was the first time in years he could remember her doing that, I was like "oof yeah I know that feel"

Really it's not that surprising he grew up to be fixated on the idea of glory and popularity, this poo poo is what happens when you're mean to your kids, everyone

e: yeah, upon reflection caused by this conversation I can definitely confirm that the core of my issue with Leo is bad parenting by Finree, which is probably due to trauma on HER part from the stuff that happened in The Heroes followed by however Leo's dad died

Maybe I misread his chapters but that’s not quite the vibe I got; i took it that finree really does love Leo, but he’s surrounded by bad influences and wants him to be smart, goddamn it. Plus he stands to inherit an important position of power and she wants to groom him to do it correctly before she loses her power to keep everything from falling apart.

Maybe she doesn’t parent him in the most supportive way but she’s also balancing having a demanding job (while also being a woman, which the author mentions once or twice makes the job harder) and being the wife of someone who was executed for treason (Brock was one of the traitors, right?). I didn’t get the sense that she hates Leo, just that she’s frustrated with the ideas people have been filling his head with; that good leaders charge headlong into every danger they can find without hesitation or planning.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Nah, her husband was that guy's son and got promoted from lieutenant or something to lord governor thanks to Finree in one of the earlier books.

Not a spoiler for the new book so I'm not tagging it.

Ohh...I did not remember that, thank you

In retrospect, that makes sense; the union doesn’t seem like a “execute someone for treason but give his powerful job to the wife” kind of country

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 13, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

loquacius posted:

This would have made Gorst infinitely happier than continuing to base his entire identity around serving the Union government did, so of course he didn't do it and instead did the other thing

e: AU fanfic that is just Caul Shivers and Northman!Gorst in a madcap buddy action-comedy

(Big spoilers for end of most recent book) loyalty to Jezal was his strongest tie to the union wasn’t it? Now that he’s kicked it, maybe gorst will run off to the woods to live the murderhobo lifestyle he deserves

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ardee could have done worse, I guess? Not a great life but better than most.

Dog man landed on his feet too, figured a certain way; of course his story isn’t over and level-headed people in positions of power don’t seem to fare well in this series

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 15, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Suxpool posted:

I think I'd be a little disappointed if Bayaz ever got his just desserts. I've always felt Abercrombie's so good because his books seem so true to life from a cynic's point of view. The truly powerful never get their comeuppance. It's relatable.

Yeah given the tone of the series and the arc of the first trilogy (and why people liked it, or at least why I did), my prediction is that bayaz will either win forever because he has made himself untouchable and nobody else ever really truly had a chance to take him down, or he’ll be usurped by something much worse

Justice is a pretty foreign concept in this universe

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Now I want to read a series about a kingdom puppeteered by an immortal mastermind, but the twist is that the wizard, like me, doesn’t understand the game mechanics and fucks up disastrously for no reason

Armies starving and deserting en masse in peacetime because the wizard forgot he had to demobilize them, dynasties obliterated because he doesn’t know what “matrilineal” means, etc

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

He's explicitly ahead of the curve and sees the true power in money, rather than nobility

Yeah, doesn't the last book heavily imply (maybe even outright state) that bayaz is orchestrating the revolutions? Given how long Bayaz has been around and how much of a schemer he is, it seems like he can see that change is coming and wants to be in charge of that, too.

It's very possible that the book does not say this and that I'm confusing text with my own predictions, I haven't read it since it came out

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I couldn't remember who shenkt was, so I looked him up, and man, this series needs more fan artists

https://firstlaw.fandom.com/wiki/Shenkt

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I would say that if nothing else (and there's a lot else) the people of Dagoska did not fare particularly well from Bayaz's guiding hand

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

Plus you're going to have this major figure in the world go out without ever even appearing on page?

I was kind of disappointed in that yeah. It would be pretty cool if it turns out to be him and he gets to be a real character.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And with a September 2021 release date already, you have to love an author who can make and stick to a schedule

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Warden posted:

From what I gather, opinions are divided. I liked it quite a bit though. The first one was the strongest, in my opinion. Maybe give it a try, and then decide if you like it enough to continue?

It's ostensibly YA fiction, but basically the only thing different from Joe's "normal" output is that there are no cringe-worthy explicit sex scenes and nobody says "gently caress".

Iirc there’s still a cringey sex scene, it’s just less explicit

I agree with all the “it’s ok” takes above. It’s not on the same level as first law, but I’m also like 20 years older than the suggested reading level so it’s on me really

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xenix posted:

I'm fairly convinced we've already seen him in A Little Hatred. Broad see's a large old man with a star shaped scar on his cheek in a line in Valbeck, thinks he's a veteran, and they almost come to blows. Logen has this scar (from the fight with The Feared) in Red Country and is as much of a shitter as Broad. Maybe more of one.

If he only saw one scar, it probably wasn't him. Logen is described as being fairly hideous, with a face like a cutting board, the first time we see him from another protagonist's point of view, isn't he?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Affi posted:

I'm fine with his fate remaining a mystery and I hope they keep it that way. There are figures of power moving around the periphery of the civilized world and i'm okay with a scarred old slab of meat that is very good at killing people being one of them.

Pouring one out for old man Logen. Never forget when he was chased over the rooftops of Adua in the first book and you were thinking "Why is this guy such a big deal in the north?" and then they corner him.

Yeah I'd be kind of ok with it if he never returned. I liked the character but it's time for others to take the center stage, and Logen is too much of a goddamned legend at this point to show up in any kind of capacity that wouldn't distract from the new story trying to be told. Like one of those WoW raids where thrall shows up at the last minute to strike the killing blow on the boss or whatever (I never raided in WoW but I'm told this happened a lot). If he does show up I hope someone kills him because that's the only thing I can think of that would be interesting (but then again I'm not an extremely talented fantasy author so my imagination is limited)

I'm fine with Bayaz being a baddie again though, he's powerful and sinister enough to pull it off. Frankly, after how the first trilogy ended, it'd be very weird if he weren't around

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

staguar posted:

I couldn't remember what Golden did in The Heroes, so I went to First Law wiki to look him up and, man, the fan art of him is amazing.

This series really needs some talented fan artists to get obsessed with it yeah haha. Some of the main characters have pretty good renditions but the supporting cast is...a real mixed bag.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Since i'm not leaving the house for the foreseeable future, I treated myself to the hardcover edition (signed, apparently, which seems kind of meaningless when you can just order it online but it was the same price as the normal edition so whatever). Gonna have to wait a few days to dig in but it's gonna be worth it!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

staguar posted:

Who's selling it autographed?

I got mine from Barnes & Noble (online store). It's the same price as the non-signed version so I have my doubts about how special this signature is really going to be but I don't really care, I just wanted the hardcover edition of the book, as a treat

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-trouble-with-peace-joe-abercrombie/1135984684?ean=9780316591720

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finally finished the new book after very slowly reading it; I also loved the scene where Leo and Orso have their meetings with Jappo, and Leo is so completely out of his element that not only does he fail to make any kind of deal, but he manages to reveal the names of several of his co-conspirators before leaving. It was such an obviously bad idea to send him in there alone that I have to wonder why on earth Savine would let him do it, it was such a predictable outcome that I assumed it must have been some kind of 4d chess move, but I guess it's all part of the larger thing of Savine not quite being as competent as her POV chapters would have us think she is

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I think the first time in the series we're treated to an outsider's view of a Northman, they make it a point to highlight how shockingly scarred-up and ugly he is.

Granted it's Logen and he's a special case but any veteran warrior is probably going to be in that same aesthetic, Shivers should absolutely not be classically handsome

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

multijoe posted:

I thought Shivers was meant to be pretty good looking prior to getting his face hosed up? He's still pretty young and earnest then, didn't yet have the marks of a veteran fighter.

I could be confusing my headcanon for text descriptions, or maybe I'm just too focused on the eye thing. I suppose he was pretty enough for Murcatto

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just catching up on other comments posted in the thread while I was slowly reading the book; I personally got more of an asexual vibe from Antaup's short POV section than a gay vibe, but I do think there's something kind of funny about the idea of Leo being a homophobic closeted bisexual (I think) and subconsciously surrounding himself with an entourage of hunky gay men (though I can't remember if we got any evidence of Jin's orientation)

That said I do think it's a minor bummer that Abercrombie decided to include homophobia in his fantasy universe, but I suppose it could have been tropier; Jurand and Galward could have come riding to the rescue and died for Leo at the last minute, at least they didn't get buried.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

I don't remember him being especially tall, I got the idea that most people find him kind of unassuming for a North Man until they see him in action. But it's been a while since I've read. In my brain he always kind of looks like Lobo

I feel like in the first chapter where other people see Logen he stands out as being unusually large and tall but admittedly it's been a while since I read it, I might be misremembering.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He has played villains before....

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I couldn't guess the extent of his involvement but yeah there's no way he's actually living a quiet life in the countryside, he took the opportunity to vamoose suspiciously quickly

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

There's one attempted rape the lovely crown prince tries to rape uhhhh cathil i wanna say her name was? the girl they pick up from the prison camp alongside pike while on campaign in the north but it's immediately foiled and not graphically depicted at all. Apart from that I can't remember anything in the series along those lines, there's definitely no GRRM poo poo

Now torture, on the other hand,

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ccs posted:

Well... Terez gets coerced into going to bed with Jezal against her will. Never shown, but we know it happened.

Oh yeah I forgot about that part. That's...not great

Ok so maybe not a squeaky clean series but it's still nothing on the level of game of thrones (I haven't read any of the authors mentioned upthread so that's my point of comparison). The worst parts for me are the torture scenes in Glokta's chapters, which upon a reread were more graphic and gratuitous than I remembered them, but it's not bad enough to turn me off the whole series or anything. If that kind of stuff makes you queasy, you can just skim until they put the tools away

It's definitely fair to call the series nihilistic though; by the end of the first trilogy you're probably going to look back and say "well that was loving grim" but in a way that I found to be entertaining and satisfying. I also feel like that overall tone is established pretty early on, so if you've made it 100 pages in and still want to keep going, I don't think any horrible tone shifts will be coming.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't think blizzard's too litigious, it should be fine

tbh i didn't even notice the lion, i was distracted by how busy the rest of the art was. Fortunately I have no intentions of judging this book by its cover, I'll buy whatever it gets released with and enjoy it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

The cover arts real ugly, but the books... Are very good.

i wish there was a saying for situations like this

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If I got spoiled on the villain for the First Law Trilogy, how hosed am I? A friend accidentally let it slip and realized that was a big spoiler.

it's not too bad, if you've ever read a book with a twist before, you'd have probably sensed that something fishy was going on anyway, and you'll still get to enjoy the progression of the reveal as it...uh, progresses

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I had to look that up and lol, I still periodically think about the cover for With the Lightnings

Although i did end up being extremely bored by that book and not finishing it so maybe not the best example

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Casting for Gunnar broad?

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1396141787006242817?s=21

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

VagueRant posted:

Did Joe not admit that was absolutely the source of that character design?

Oh maybe; I haven't seen that interview but it tracks!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chamberk posted:

Starting my reread of A Little Hatred/The Trouble with Peace to prepare for the final book next month. Very interesting to see Leo and Rikke's first chapters knowing what happens to them over the course of the next two books....

I forgot it was coming so soon, that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Catching up on the thread after finally finishing the book; I saw a bunch of people mentioning KJ parker, any particularly recommended starting places for his works? I can see he has a bunch of trilogies but I can't tell if you're supposed to read them in chronological order or not