Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wonder if there are monarchists who chafe at the books’ depiction of aristocracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Crespolini posted:

We might get more books, but I don't think there's any specifics plans or anything?

I thought he said he intended for there to be three trilogies, so we should for sure be getting at least three more mainline novels. He seems to work pretty fast, so hopefully not too long of a wait (unless he needs more time to come up with good ideas, then i hope he does that)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

The Half of the World Series was labeled YA, but was as nasty and brutal as anything else he’s ever written. I was literally scratching my head when I read those books—not because they were bad, they were good, but rather because the YA label made no sense to me.

The only “difference” I could see between that series and his other books was there wasn’t any sex.

I think there was actually, wasn’t there? Nothing as graphic as anything in first law, but I have a distinct memory of reading a sex scene on a train and worrying about being judged

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

No Dignity posted:

I recall him doing the fakeout sex scene he did with Monza and Shivers again but more chaste?

I think it was something like that yeah; we were supposed to think that the male and female lead were loving each other but syke, it's drama

It was probably more of a fade to black thing than I'm remembering, I think I just got my hackles up because I was reading in public and I know how his scenes usually go

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FWIW, a lot of people think The Heroes (the next standalone book) is the best he's ever written, so it's definitely worth powering through and going one book further. Or, you know, if you're really not feeling BSC, just putting it down and skipping ahead. There are some references later on to the events of BSC and it does change the status quo a little bit but it's nothing you can't figure out through context (or googling a plot synopsis).

I do like BSC if only because it lets my boy Cosca have an arc, I liked him in it a lot. I did not like him in Red Country one bit however

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i don't know if it's possible to both like a character and be glad he's dead but abercrombie pulled that off with morveer for me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harton posted:

Best served cold

When he tried going back to prison lol

the Saejima of first law

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Social Animal posted:

I just finished the First Law trilogy and absolutely enjoyed it. Very interested in continuing through the rest of his books but I get the impression Best Served Cold is kind of a low point. I'm just going to be blunt, will I be chasing the dragon from here on out?

The Heroes, the next book, is generally considered to be one of his best, so take heart! Opinions seem more mixed about the latest trilogy but I liked it overall.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like Red Country on the whole--I think he did my favorite character dirty, but when you decide to have a favorite character in an abercrombie book, these are the risks you take, and i'm at peace with that

i still wish cosca never came back after BSC though, I liked his arc in that and didn't care for him having a heel turn offscreen and becoming a villain again

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Magitek posted:

I think the discussion came up earlier in the thread regarding Red Country, but personally I really liked the way Cosca was utilized in the story. With the possible exception of the last 1-2 pages he appears on, he’s the exact same person we had seen in previous books. What changes is perspective — this story is written by people who are victimized by his merry band of amoral mercenaries, rather than the fellow mercs or the people who hire them.

I hadn't thought of it that way, maybe i'll give it another look if I read the book again; I do agree that his treatment in red country is much more consistent with how he comports himself in the original trilogy, I just thought he had a kind of redemptive arc in BSC that would have been nice for him to go out on instead of getting back on his bullshit but hey, that's grimdark for you. One thing I can't remember; is he drinking again in Red Country? Him beating the habit was one thing I liked in BSC and I feel like they undid that for Red Country (which to be fair is not an unrealistic portrayal of an addict, but still), but now that I'm writing it out I can't remember if that actually happened

e: tried googling it and couldn't find the answer but I did appreciate this reddit user's description of him: "He's a lovable-rogue, and he is at least as much rogue as he is lovable"

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 24, 2022

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Social Animal posted:

Cool thanks guys I'll grab BSC. The trilogy books were just so perfect for reading before bed. A little dangerous though when that "just one more chapter" hits when you really need to turn the light off and sleep.

I didn't even see this one, looks cool. Should I get on this after the standalone stories or does it not matter? I like catching references.

I can't remember how much of the standalone novels tie into it, but it was published (according to google) 4 years after Red Country, so I'd probably read the novels first just to be safe

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I guess at the end of the day, if you're hoping for a happy ending for a character in this series and are unpleasantly surprised, then that's on you really

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

His writing improves markedly across the stand alone books.

Yeah, and you can tell that someone gave him the "your female characters need improvement" note and he took it to heart, he gets a lot better about that too.

The sex scenes do not improve however, but fortunately there's only ever like 1 or 2 per book tops i think. frankly i hope he never gets better, their badness lends a certain kind of charm if you squint at it just right

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I thought they did it in a cave or something but yeah it's them. iirc the dialogue is mostly transliterated grunting

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HELLO LADIES posted:

The funny thing is that there are plenty of dudes who could do a great Bayaz (including Jeff Bridges, damnit).

The real question is: who the gently caress could do Glokta justice?

One thing that surprised me on a re-read was (technically re-)discovering that Glokta is 35 at the beginning of the first trilogy. I'd internalized him as an old man so much that it would be weird to see a 35 year old actor playing him. Though I imagine they'd use makeup

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd hope so. Severely disfiguring an actor to play the role is a bit over the top.

I bet Tom cruise would do it

maybe jared leto but nobody wants that

e: maybe we could see how far jeremy strong's dedication to method is--he's played military before after all

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 24, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I suppose there are actual disabled actors who might fit the role too

You’d have the reverse problem for flashbacks, but there weren’t a ton of them in first trilogy anyway were there? Mostly dreams if I remember right

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can't entirely explain why, but I see Frost as Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys in my head

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not for nothing, but I feel like if someone I had met more than once or twice suddenly had two different colored eyes, I'd notice it quickly. Might even be the first thing I notice about them meeting them the first time actually, it's a very distinctive trait

Maybe everyone in the first law universe is just very polite about this kind of thing and it's rude to talk about it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I enjoyed it on the whole; probably a little less than the first trilogy or the better parts of the standalone novels but it's still a first law trilogy. If you've read and enjoyed all the books up till now, I would recommend that you keep going

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Devorum posted:

I love a good fantasy Western, and this is probably the best example of it.

It hurt my heart to see Cosca falling back into his old ways, though.

:same: on that last front.

I thought it did him dirty at first, but someone ITT explained it to me in a way that made it make sense; it's not a heel turn at all, he's always been a bastard, we just liked him before because he was on our side; to his enemies he was always like this, now we just have the bad luck of seeing it from that POV

I get it but I miss the ... old new? him

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He’s a great character yeah. It’s been mentioned a bunch of times before but Abercrombie does a very effective job of showing “oh THIS is why he has a reputation” when the time comes. And the short story in sharp ends drives it home a little more

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hadn’t considered that before but I can see it. I had always attributed ferro’s questionable necessity to the plot to Abercrombie not quite getting the hang of female characters yet for the original trilogy (which to his credit I feel like he fixed for the subsequent works, Savine in particular was a great character I thought)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mewse posted:

I think it's a short story in Sharp Ends that shows Bethod is an intellectual as far as the northmen go, Logen is the psycho.

Yeah it's been a while since I've read sharp ends, but my recollection of that story is that it suggests that Bethod is generally well-intentioned (as well-intentioned as anyone who ever wanted to be a king ever was, anyway) but in over his head and that Logen...well the subtext of his shocking act of depravity is "ah geez, here we go again," you get the sense that he's prone to that kind of thing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mewse posted:

I just googled bald actors lol. Jason Alexander would kill it as Bayaz. Dean Norris is closer to the person I envisioned while reading.

I’m here for Jason Alexander’s odenkirk-ish transition to drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I really want an HBO series adoption but I have no idea how they keep the series main character Salem Rews reveal for three seasons.

he’s badly burned, isn’t he? You could do it with makeup I’m sure. And if you can’t you can always make him wear a mask and maybe a fat suit before he gets sent off or something