Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Logen not appearing in Heroes isn't exactly a spoiler. Logen is gone, forever, get over it! His story ended perfectly, exactly as it began.

edit: Gosh. It's not really a big deal.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

To be fair, his story last ended on a cliffhanger (heh) so why wouldn't his status in future books be considered a spoiler?

Not if you're a thinking person with half a brain. As I said, his story ended exactly as it began, with him jumping over the edge of a high cliff and into a river. That's left open ended for a reason: Not so readers can expect to see more of him in the future, but to poetically leave him exactly where he started. He's either going to fall back into his old bloodthirsty ways "Aww gently caress it I'm already fat might as well keep eating", or move on to a new location and attempt to be a better man only to fail yet again. Either way, it doesn't matter. It would just be retreading ground that he already covered over the course of three books.

Logen's story ended perfectly. Just like Costa in the trilogy. It was ultimately harmful bringing him back in Best Served Cold.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Woohoo! The Heroes just arrived on my kindle. :dance: I've been bookless for a week or two and it's been killing me!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Have I forgotten this much about what happened in BSC? What did Bremer do to deserve this?

Oh, right, it's a Joe Abercrombie book. :doh:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Diver Dick posted:

A whole bookcase of Halo universe spinoffs are available, but not one copy of The Heroes is in stock at Borders.

What the gently caress

Kindle, bitch :c00l:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Whirrun's loving cheese-trap. :laffo: This guy is alright.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Finree is pretty rad too. There's something about a power hungry, sociopathic officer's wife that just works.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Smoky Bandana posted:

Absolutely cracking read by the way, Abercrombie's one of the few authors I get the hardbacks for, just don't want to wait on anything that good.

I read that as "Abercrombie's one of the few authors I get the hardons for" and I didn't really think to confirm what I read. I, too, get the hardons for Abercrombie's work.

vvv I don't remember that either, but I'm only about 47% through the book.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 24, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Black Dow reminds me a lot of Al Swearengen in The Heroes. I'm just waiting for him to call someone a cocksucker.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

no pantsu posted:

Audio book for The Heroes is out, read by Michael Page (the guy who read Best Served Cold). audio sample below cover art
http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_5?asin=B004N1OHD8&qid=1299131327&sr=1-5

Gross, it almost sounds like a synthesized voice. That voice from those stupid videos that are all over the place now.

edit: This poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGgVY6Ref4I

Audio books are for retarded people.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 3, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I wonder how he's going to introduce guns to the series. They've already got gunpowder and extremely experimental cannons prone to violent self destruction, but that's a long way from cowboys and bang bangs.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

silly posted:

I don't know if there will be guns. Like Jekub said I expect it to be about Ferro Maljinn in the South and at least involve her. It will probably just use a lot of Western tropes and such which would be interesting since he's always made the South out to be an Islamic caliphate-like.

Extremely minor Heroes spoilers. Really not a spoiler at all buttttttt spoiler tags anyway.

Bayaz was experimenting with cannons during the fight. Even if they did violently disassemble themselves (and their operators), it was a clear example of technological progression. I don't see it as too crazy to see some sort of primitive muzzle loader coming in the near future. Dude had a table full of cowboy/gunslinger books, after all. There have to be guns coming.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 4, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

silly posted:

I have thought a lot about fantasy in a gunpowder universe though. I think it would be interesting but it strains a lot of the genre's conventions the further you get away from the more medieval settings.

Adrian Tchaikovsky has planes and (simple) guns and poo poo in his series and it works very well.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

"Knives, and threats, and bribes, and war?"
Bayaz' eyes shone with the lamp light, "Yes?"
"What kind of a loving wizard are you?"
"The kind you obey."

Bayaz is such a baller.

Edit: I don't want it to be over! :cry: I hate it when books end!

Major spoilers for The Heroes ending

Who else called Black Dow's death? The instant he called Shivers "dog" I knew that poo poo was on.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 6, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

aeverous posted:

So I've finished ASOIAF, can't bear to go past book 8 of Malazan, and I've read all of Abercrombie...where can I even go from here that won't be a massive disappointment?

You haven't finished ASOIAF, and you never will.

Check out The Dresden Files (thread). They're pretty god drat ridiculous books, in a good way. Just don't take them too seriously.

edit: also don't google the series. Wikipedia has a nice way of putting spoilers into the search result preview text. Wikipedia needs spoiler tags. I found out the sad way.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

dyehead posted:

Oh, Bummey, have you finished the Dresden files yet?

Oh dear, nowhere near finished. The first two books were down in a day each, but I'm only a few chapters into book 3. I'll wreck that one once I get some free time.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bayaz is one of Juvens' half a dozen or so apprentices. That's his only relation to the Bigs.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

That's a loving nice ceiling.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Beastie posted:

Can anyone offer me a physical description of the Gurkish and the Shanka? From what I can piece together the Gurkish are just savage men and the Shanka look like goblins.

I always saw the Gurkish as egyptians and the Shanka as hobgoblins. Not goblins, hobgoblins.

What I really like about Abercrombie is that he does so little world building that he leaves it largely up to the reader to imagine the world. I don't think any two people will have the same internal vision of the world or people in it. There is no right or wrong, there is only what you imagine.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

e

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 23, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Logen calls them "loving flatheads," so I've always pictured them looking something like Neanderthals.

That was Dow!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Beastie posted:

I hope he's been playing the Undead Nightmare expansion. :zombie:

No. No no no no! Zombies would be a loving terrible addition to the world. Simple muzzleloaders are the logical next step.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Clinton1011 posted:

The Shanka can be the Zombies.

What. No.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Demtor posted:

After watching Game of Thrones, I would prefer an HBO series as opposed to movies. Better yet, an awesome hard R animated mini series... but they never do those anymore.

What? No. No. HBO would butcher this series just like they did with A Song of Ice and Fire. Books should not be made into movies. Muppet Christmas Carol is the only exception to this.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Oatgan posted:

Yeah they shouldn't have ever made The Godfather, Gone with the Wind, The Shining, L.A. Confidential, Psycho, No Country for Old Men, Goodfellas, Silence of the Lambs, or Ice Station Zebra into films. What a total waste of time those endeavors were.

Okay maybe we could have done without Ice Station Zebra.

The books were better. v:shobon:v Movies just can't give you the same experience as a good book.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

They are separate mediums and you can enjoy one, the other, or both. It's not mutually exclusive. A movie with fantastic acting and direction can be absolutely better than a well-written novel.

That's not what I'm arguing, but this isn't the place for such a debate.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

Given that the he ends exactly the way he begins, going over a cliff, I'm pretty much 100% certain that he's going to be back.

You mean you're pretty much 100% certain that he's not going to be back. His story ended perfectly! Bringing him back would not be good character development.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Dude, he's not a young man, but he's not pushing 70.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Omar ending is the only way to go.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Fly Molo posted:

I'm re-reading the books and one question stands out to me: how did Tul Duru and the rest survive their duels with Logen? I mean, "it's easier to divert the Whiteflow than to stop the Bloody-Nine."

Keep in mind that Logen barely survived the duels, too. I know that Logen spared them, but I can't remember if that was his decision or Bethod's.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Jewlian posted:

I don't really recall anything Ninefingers did that earns him the title of "pretty big rear end in a top hat". He did kill some people as the bloody-nine but that's not really him.

I must've missed it. Where does it say that Monza is pregnant with Shiver's child?

I don't remember if there was any explicit confirmation, but they boned and it was hinted at.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

BananaNutkins posted:

For some reason I got the feeling that Stranger-Come-Knocking was the son of Crummok-ee-moon guy whatever, but I have nothing to base this on. The name Pip sounds really familiar, but its not ringing any bells for me.

All them mountain folk/wild men are related, if you know what I'm saying.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 6, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Please, no more Cosca. He had a fantastic story in The First Law trilogy and was, by far, my favorite character of that series despite his relatively short role. I felt his character was ultimately harmed in Best Served Cold. I loved the poo poo out of Cosca, but I really don't want to see him again. Joe does a great job with character progression and he (usually) ends them in the best possible places.

The Wire spoiler. Really, don't mouse over this. Or, uhh, quote this post if you haven't watched The Wire since you'll end up seeing the spoiler text: Like Omar buying cigarettes at a corner store, then getting shot in the back of the head by an eight year old. That was the best and only way Omar could have gone. A glorious shootout would not have been a fulfilling ending for him.

Please stop trying to bring back characters. :(

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 19, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Clinton1011 posted:

Yea I loved the way he ended Logan's arc, while I would like to see more of the character he really shouldn't be brought back due to how well his story ended.

I do hope we see more Glokta though, I loving love that character and can't wait for another book with him in it.

Here's what I think, again.

Louis CK is probably the best living comedian. One of his most important, and self imposed rules, is that at the end of the year he throws away his previous act. This makes him create an entirely new set, from the ground up, for the next year. It is what has allowed him to get better as a comedian because it keeps him from stagnating, always coming up with new material. He also says that he'll occasionally tell his best bit right from the start, forcing him to really bring out a performance for the rest of the show. I've seen him live half a dozen times and he never fails to impress.

I like Abercrombie for the same reasons. He's (mostly) not afraid to ditch the very well loved characters from a previous series and create a (mostly) new cast for the next book. I don't want to see the same characters over and over. So many other authors have made these long, grinding series that end up going on for more than a dozen books, but never actually going anywhyere: Jordan, GRRM :rolleyes: , Goodkind, etc. It encourages complacency. Cameos are fine if done properly (Dogman in Heroes), or taking background characters and bringing them into the spotlight (Calder in Heroes), but relying on established characters over and over can't be good for a writer's developmental processes.

BananaNutkins posted:

Im the opposite. I thought he had little depth in the First Law and loved him in Best Served Cold. Different strokes I guess. I also really liked the Day/Moreveer relationship in that book, especially the way it ended.

Morveer was great. For all his talk of being the greatest poisonmaster the world has ever known, he totally followed through. I was chalking him down as all bluster for most of the book, but that.. you know. That one part. Man. Morveer was a great character.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 20, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Illuyankas posted:

I read Best Served Cold before the First Law trilogy, and while it had a couple of minor spoilers it also some interesting moments when I realised who the Cripple was and why the king preferred Monza's hair colour but they're all still pretty good books.

Refresh me, what's the deal with Monza's hair color?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Scrubber posted:

Seems like they would have worked better if they were just really powerful in direct combat, instead of really, really, really, really powerful. Maybe give them a similar power level to Fenris the feared.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Fenris is an immortal and nigh invulnerable half demon. Even without the witch channeling that spell on him he's still on the same level as eaters, if not more powerful. Remember, not all eaters are granted the same powers.

Eaters are sort of boring though.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Scrubber posted:

I disagree. Despite the fact that Fenris is a half demon who fought alongside freakin' Glustrod, the majority of the Eaters are generally still presented as more powerful/dangerous, which is the problem.

Fenris isn't really nigh invulnerable. Half his body is nigh invulnerable. The other half is covered by armor, but can otherwise be harmed normally. People generally don't live long enough to figure out his gimmick and have time to counter it, but if it was widely known, there wouldn't be anything stopping a bunch of normal soldiers from killing him by smashing his armored side with maces or other weapons that are effective against armor. They could also hack off his tattooed limbs and not give him time to re-attach them.

Fenris did take on half a dozen named men and survive, but for most of the fight they were not all focusing on him, he only killed one, despite extended fighting and he eventually got driven off. (He did also kill some grunts earlier in the fight, before the named men started focusing on him.)

On the other hand, the Eaters in book three were coming in piecemeal and taking on a tight pack of something like 20 of the Union's most elite royal bodyguards, wearing full plate armor, led by Bremer Dan Gorst. The eaters kept charging in alone and slaughtering 5+ guards in seconds, before being dispatched by weight of numbers.

Fenris was powerful, but he still seemed to have limits. It took him several blows to kill Threetrees and the Bloody Nine was actually stronger than him once he lost his magical support.

Fenris would lose to an Eater unless he managed to get lucky and kill it very quickly while it was figuring out his gimmick. Once it realized that it could attack his armored side, he'd die, since the Eaters are much quicker and can ignore armor with their fists.

Pretend I put an emoticon here relating to how nerdy this post is.

First of all, Fenris' weakness is not known. No one lives long enough to see Fenris as anything other than an invulnerable juggernaut, that's His Thing. Saying "Well if people knew how to kill him, he'd be easy to kill!" is just stupid and dumb and you're missing the point.

Second, Fenris wasn't driven off by Threetrees and company, he was called to withdraw. Fenris was acting as an instrument of fear in that case. Had his orders been to kill everyone, he could have done it.

Third, not every eater is granted the same powers. Not every eater is Shenkt. Shenkt is merely an extreme example of what eaters can be.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 8, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, their power levels vary a lot. Glokta and his guys took down one with relative simplicity, most of the hundred who attacked were cannon fodder for Bayaz to deal with. Shenkt, Mamun, Ishri and probably Yori Sulfur are the only ones we have seen that seem to be truly powerful.

Shenkt and Yoru were both able to break free from the Prophet's influence, too. It's not just loyalty that keeps eaters in line. They're immensely powerful (though in vastly different ways) eaters, but they're certainly not the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I'm still pretty sure it was mentioned that the eaters are beholden to Khalul and reliant on him for... something, but I was totally wrong about Yoru and Shenkt. :doh: Oops.