Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Just finished Best Served Cold. Pretty solid overall and definitely a fast read. Definitely liked how Benna was handled in the chapter intros. Fun seeing how Monza basically lies to herself about how he was. He may not have been as big of a killer, but he was as big of a bastard as anyone else. On the other hand Shivers was kind of disappointing. Right from the start he's treading dangerously into Nine-fingers territory. Big nasty barbarian, done bad things, blah blah blah. I don't think anyone was really shocked that he never got better and busted out a can of some minor Bloody Nine. Cosca as usual though was fantastic. I loved his mini-rant about brave soldiers.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

drat. I will be all over that poo poo.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Friendly was really more OCD.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Probably the weakest spot is Dreams of Steal, Bleak Seasons, and She is the Darkness. Cook being able to write how people would kind of bites him in Dreams because Lady isn't really supposed to be a compelling writer. Bleak Seasons is really disorienting and Murgen is an emo gently caress, which continues into She is the Darkness. I think Water Sleeps and especially Soldiers Live pick back up significantly. Whatever you may say for the rest of Books of the South/Glittering Stone the very end of Soldiers Live was perfect.

Related: Screw everyone that hates Silver Spike because of Case. I don't care if he's basically a fantasy redneck. He's fairly funny and the only person in the whole god drat series with any common sense. He does what he has to help his best friend, then gets the gently caress out of adventuring.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It may fall under the category of he doesn't want us to know too much about the past. It takes out half the fun if we have a clear idea of how big a douche all the characters were or were not. I mean, our only view of the past is basically from the winner.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The Books of the South both fix and are worse at that problem. Also despite definitely being a hick Case holds a certain soft spot in my heart. He's actually a largely functional human being who's just out to help his buddy and maybe pick up chicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Even without the Bloody Nine going on it sounds like Logan was kind of a prick in the bad old days though. Just less ally murdering.