Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I just read the excerpt, and I cannot wait for this book. I just started re-reading First Law to quench my Abercrombie thirst in the mean time. I haven't been this excited for a new fantasy novel in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So I'm re-reading Best Served Cold for the first time, and I'm noticing that Shivers has a lot of close calls with losing his eye throughout the book. Of course on the first read, I didn't pick up on it...but on the re-read, they all stick out and each time I feel bad for him, knowing what is coming. . Spoilered it, just to be safe.

I re-read the First Law before Red Country, and am doing BSC and Heroes again now. I enjoyed Red Country a lot, though I found the pacing to be less tight than usual for Abercrombie.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

I don't get how The First Law is anything like Glen Cook, other than "they both have morally ambiguous characters" which can be said for about half of fantasy nowadays.

Yeah, I don't see the connection at all. Even as a "setup" book, I thoroughly enjoyed TBI. I thought the chase through the city was very well done, and exciting as a climax.

Also, I think that shoehorning the characters into archetypical D&D roles shows bias from the beginning. If you go into fantasy with pre-conceived notions, then force it to fit those notions...what else can you expect?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

But my lady I carried this scribe all the way from Adua!

Say one thing for this comment, say it's a loving work of art.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

A fun side effect of Pacey's narration is that my wife, who did audio only for the series, pronounces "Glokta" as "Glokter".

I listen to the first few chapters of every new book just so I can know what voice Pacey gave the new characters.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Pacey brings the story to life in a way I rarely experience with audiobooks. Marsters doing Dresden (once he hits jos stride) comes close. His delivery is just so perfect, and he's not afraid to inject pathos. His "it should have been you" in BSC was so complex and heartbreaking. So many emotions tied up in a single sentence.

In both cases, the audio is the canon way to experience the story for me.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DeVito or bust.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

Danny Devito for Bayaz, just give him a beard and shave his head and tell him to play Frank Reynolds.
“When I’m dead, just throw me in the trash.”
“Well, I don’t know how many years Magic’s got left. I’m gonna get real weird with it.”
The rear end in a top hat rich guy, who doesn’t give his friends a dime, while pretending to pick up the monster condom he uses for his magnum dong?

He’s 100% perfect.

It's really a perfect casting.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ninurta posted:

The Wisdom of Crowds just released on Kindle/presumably other ebook platforms. Time to stay up late and power through it.

I've got thirty pages of Billy Summers left, then I'm going to find out just how much cocaine the characters can do before Bayaz transmutes them all into V&B promissory notes.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 14, 2021

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Finally finished it and caught up on the thread. My feelings are pretty in line with a lot of stuff here, but I want to ruminate on them a bit to see if they change.

Two biggest things for me right now are:

Disappointment in Orso getting hanged. I knew he had to die, and I knew it would be hanging...but drat I wish he'd have gotten a different method. Poor bastard hated hangings. Loved his last dig at Leo, made me laugh out loud.

Profound relief that Logen didn't show up. I was convinced he was going to make an appearance just to go out like Omar in The Wire, and I don't want that for him. I just want him to have a quiet retirement in the Far Country.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

My favorite KJ Parker series is the Engineer Trilogy. They're all good, but that one really stands out to me...maybe because it's the first one I read.

As for Joe, I'm hoping we get a few more standalone novels, as they're my favorite. I'd love to see him take on a detective novel (Hard Boiled, but I guess Sherlockian would do) now that we've gotten Heist, War Movie, and Western.

Maybe a spy novel? I could see a Spy Who Came In From The Cold type thing with some of Shylo's folk.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Best Served Cold is my favorite (The Heroes very close behind), but I'm a sucker for heists. I absolutely loved all the double-triple fakeouts and hidden info because those are heist tropes.

I can see how people might be put off by it, but it's the one I re-read the most.

All in all, the three standalones are the best. I think Abercrombie is at his best when he's targeting something specific to subvert.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Catching up on the thread after finally finishing the book; I saw a bunch of people mentioning KJ parker, any particularly recommended starting places for his works? I can see he has a bunch of trilogies but I can't tell if you're supposed to read them in chronological order or not

The Engineer Trilogy is my favorite and the one I recommend starting with.

I agree that The Folding Knife is a good litmus test, though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

loquacius posted:

The Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan has all three of those but the vikings are actually pirates and are not a major focus of the story so really it only has two of them

e: also apparently the third book is v bad, I've only read the first two

It's not *very* bad, but it's also not good.

Darkrenown posted:

Try the Raven's Mark series by Ed McDonald.

Yes, absolutely this. I wish there were more than three books and a couple of short stories.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 22, 2021

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

VagueRant posted:

God, KJ Parker is so loving underrated. I still find myself thinking about the goddamn bow.

That reveal quite literally stunned me for a moment. I think about it anytime a composite bow is mentioned in any context. That loving bow.

Wisdom of Crowds chat:

I thought it was painfully obvious that Glokta was pulling the strings from the moment Pike was "revealed" as The Weaver. Pike doesn't have the imagination to be the puppet master on that level, and is fanatically loyal to Glokta. It was hammered home by Savine continually wondering where he disappeared to. I was actually mildly disappointed when he popped out from behind the curtain.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 1, 2021

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Social Animal posted:

I just finished the First Law trilogy and absolutely enjoyed it. Very interested in continuing through the rest of his books but I get the impression Best Served Cold is kind of a low point. I'm just going to be blunt, will I be chasing the dragon from here on out?

BSC is one of my all-time favorites, but I'm a sucker for the type of story being told in it.

The Heroes is fantastic. Red Country is very good. Sharp Ends is great. New trilogy is...just okay.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I bet Tom cruise would do it

maybe jared leto but nobody wants that

e: maybe we could see how far jeremy strong's dedication to method is--he's played military before after all

I think you'd find a sizable population that would support Jared Leto being disfigured.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Harton posted:

Red country is so good

I love a good fantasy Western, and this is probably the best example of it.

It hurt my heart to see Cosca falling back into his old ways, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was personally really disappointed in the last trilogy. To the point it lessened my interest in future stories. Though I'll likely still read them. But I doubt I will re-read it.

My overall reaction was "Oh, that's it? Okay...". Have no desire to re-read it.