Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A Nice Boy posted:

Yeah, what the hell should I read after Best Served Cold? :(

I've read these, the Malazans, ASoIaF, Locke Lamora, and WoT lately. Need something new to dive into!

The Iron Elves books by Chris Evans are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jekub posted:

It's good writing and that is one of my favourite scenes in the books.

One of the things that strikes me the most about this scene, and really the trilogy in its entirety, is that it's Abercrombie's first book (or series of books). Right now, at the start of his career, he's better than 99% of fantasy writers.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr.48 posted:

Anyways I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Logen to show up.

If he shows up at all, I'm betting it's nothing more than a cameo at the very end, just enough to let us know that Logen is still alive.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Unkempt posted:

Well, I finished 'The Heroes', and I have to say I liked it more than 'The First Law', which I liked quite a lot. I can't think of anything more to say about it that doesn't involve spoilers but if anyone wants some then ask away.

Just a yes or no on this will suffice.

Does Logen show up?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I never take dust jackets to signings, especially when the signing is at a convention - it's likely the jacket will get hosed up somehow before the end of the day. The only downside to not having the dust jacket is that if you're carrying the book in your hands all day, it's probably going to get kind some smudges on it from your filthy hands. So, you know, take a book bag.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Can we just not talk about Martin in the Joe Abercrombie thread? There are already two active threads for the guy and his work.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hollis posted:

I'm still looking for books similar to the Ambercrombie novels, someone called them Scoundrel Fiction in a interview. The latest one I've read is the Adamantium Throne. It was not very good at all.

Have you read any of the Black Company books by Glenn Cook? If not, read the first omnibus.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You might like The Iron Elves series by Chris Evans (motherfucker needs to finish up the final installment though). The Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman is also pretty good. If you can find them, any of the Kane stuff by Karl Wagner is worth reading.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

What? No. Regarding Glokta:

He has to keep living his life. That's a pretty grim ending, all things considered.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You know your books are pretty dark when just surviving is seen as a grim ending.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You guys are forgetting one simple fact: no matter how powerful he is, Glokta still shits himself every night and has to have someone else clean it up. I'm pretty sure the dude would welcome death.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I must salute my mail carrier, he braved some pretty treacherous roads to deliver this today.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Look at all of you, with your regular hardcovers or even paperbacks - I just preordered my signed/numbered copy of Before They Are Hanged :smug:.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Not only do I hate trees, I also hate cows - I have several leather-bound books.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Bummey posted:

Kindle, bitch :c00l:

Amazon regular book, bitch; I had my copy like two weeks before you and your fancy Kindle version :c00lbert:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

IRQ posted:

Whatever grandpa, you gonna do some cave paintings of your latest mammoth hunt next? Paper books. :smug:

A Kindle does not allow me to stand back and bask in the glow of my shelf full of signed and limited edition books :spergin:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

IRQ posted:

I agreed with this until the last time I moved and had to carry all those loving books.

Barring some unforeseen circumstances, I don't plan on moving out of my house for at least 10 more years, and there's always the option of paying someone to move your poo poo.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ganthony posted:

A Kindle doesn't mean you can't still buy first editions, and such. But, do you get -every- book you read signed, or buy them as firsts? I totally get the appeal of -books- as physical objects, but unless everything you get is going to be hardcover, paperless is awesome.

Yeah I buy hardcovers except in circumstances where they simply don't exist for a given book, and I aim to get as many signed as I can (I usually spring for the signed/limited stuff when it is available and not retardedly expensive).

My wife had a Kindle, though, and it's certainly convenient for stuff I'm reasonably sure I'll never get a first edition of, like classic literature.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ornamented Death posted:

Look at all of you, with your regular hardcovers or even paperbacks - I just preordered my signed/numbered copy of Before They Are Hanged :smug:.

Oh hey look what I got today.

Matched number with my copy of The Blade Itself :smug:.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I know I'm probably the only one that cares about these, but the SubPress cover for Last Argument of Kings:

Better than Before They Are Hanged, not as good as The Blade Itself. At least there are no oddly-shaped letters this time.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Why did they intentionally misspell argument

Haha, I didn't even notice that. You can't even claim it's a Brit thing because it's not spelled that way on Gollancz's webpage.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Gunslinger posted:

Whenever I find a new author I like I normally send a quick piece of fan mail just because my job is probably 10x easier than being an author but it still blows at times so I figure they could use the encouragement. I've never gotten anything but form mail back which is fine, I don't really expect anything. Joe actually sent me a personal response with that patented Abercrombie cynicism which I thought was pretty cool.

I emailed Chris Evans (The Iron Elves trilogy) and he sent me three signed bookplates.

Completely unrelated to Joe Abercrombie...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Clinton1011 posted:

This post reminded me to check when his next book comes out, looks like it comes out next month.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Even though the cover is loving horrendous.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Morose Man posted:

For sheer brutality Karl Edward Wagner's Kane books are a worthwhile read.

A solid recommendation, but interested parties should be aware that while you can get the novels fairly cheap in paperback format, the short stories are another matter. They're only collected in Midnight Sun, which is rare and expensive (other collections exist, but they don't have all of the stories (and they're expensive, too)). It's unfortunate, because the short stories are better than the novels.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kukash posted:

What are some other authors with a similar style of writing as Abercrombie? It doesn't even have to be a fantasy setting; I just really like his style.

Have you read Glen Cook's Black Company series? If not, read Glen Cook's Black Company series.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

isochronous posted:

Wow, a fantasy cover I actually like. Is that a US or UK version?

Looks like that's the cover for the Subterranean Press edition.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

In case anyone cares, you can preorder the UK edition of Red Country from Amazon. It costs a fair bit more, but you'll get it a month early and don't have the terrible American cover.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I like to read stuff in the park and otherwise out in public but I'd be too embarrassed of that to carry it outside the house.

I'll never understand people that leave the dust jackets on their hardcovers while reading :psyduck:.

But really, while that cover is definitely bad, it's not embarrassingly bad. I don't need to post the cover to Saturn's Children, do I?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tossing this out there in case anyone is interested.

I'm looking to get out of the SubPress Joe Abercrombie series. I have all four titles printed to date (the trilogy + Best Served Cold) in a matched number set. This would obviously include the rights to purchase future volumes of the same number (The Heroes comes out later this year.

If there's any actual interest I'll post a thread in SA Mart to make it official, but I figured this thread would be the best place to test the waters.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr.48 posted:

Can you post a link to the artwork.

Do you mean the dust jackets or the interior illustrations? Here's the link to the publisher's page for the first book, and links to the other three can be found at the bottom of the page. You can see the covers and some examples of the interior stuff.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr.48 posted:

How many interior illustrations are there per book approximately? And how much are you asking for them?

It looks like four illustrations per book. I was thinking $700 for the set, which would include overnight shipping of some variety, most likely FedEx as I've had the best luck with them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr.48 posted:

Ouch! Too rich for my blood.

That's cool, I didn't really expect to move them here; signed limited editions aren't very big around these parts. I've got some feelers out elsewhere, but if none of that plays out, I guess I'll bite the bullet and go with eBay.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

For the uninitiated (and too broke to swing $700), how exactly do these editions work? Did you buy a 'subscription' to Abercrombie's novels or something like that?

Generally speaking, with Subterranean Press, when you buy the first book in a series (or the first one they're publishing if for whatever reason they don't start at the beginning (see: GRRM)), you're randomly sent a number and then have the future rights to that number. So when you order the next book, you email them and say "I have #293, please match that!" though now apparently it's all automatically tracked so the email isn't strictly necessary. When I sell my set, I'll have to email the publisher and transfer the rights to my number to the new owner.

The upside, in case it isn't obvious, is that having a matched set causes the value to skyrocket. That $700 is my "goons are good people" price; if/when this goes on eBay, the BiN price is going to be somewhere north of a grand (due, in part, to the ridiculous number of fees I'll have to pay).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

withak posted:

Basically it is an incentive to buy their stuff, knowing that you can be sure that you will be able to get every item of something that might be in a relatively limited supply. Is a signed & numbered series worth more if every item has the same number?

These editions are automatically in limited supply, they only printed 500 of the numbered edition. And yes, they're worth more when all volumes have the same number; it's kind of redundant to say it's worth more only to collectors as collectors are the only ones that are going to be buying these books :).

Edit: I know the price seems high, but it's peanuts compared to some other SubPress stuff. That's just one book, by the way (well, two physical books but one title).

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 3, 2013

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm liking the covers for the standalone books much better than the trilogy. I wonder how the jacket art for Red Country will look...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If Abercrombie is involved at all odds are that isn't present-day Logen, then. There's probably a "Logen's childhood" sequence somewhere in the comic.

Odds are Joe sold the rights and doesn't have a tremendous amount of say over the specifics of the comic. Also, comic artists almost always draw the heroes as beautiful people.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Don't see why he'd be parading it on his Facebook then.

That's a really stupid thing to say. Even if he sold the rights and gets nothing extra no matter how well the comic sells, he'd want it to do well because that puts him in a stronger bargaining position the next time someone wants to make something (comic, game, movie, whatever) based on his IP.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Prince of Thorns is awesome. King of Thorns is even better. I expect Emperor of Thorns to be just as good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Clinton1011 posted:

I personally can't stand books with a lot of rape and cruelty...

Just for clarity's sake, I'm going to post every single scene of rape from Prince of Thorns:

Mark Lawrence posted:

a) I saw what they did to Mother, and how long it took.

b) The fat girl had a lot to say, just like her father. Screeched like a barn owl: hurt my ears with it. I liked the older one better. She was quiet enough. So quiet you'd give a twist here or there just to check she hadn't died of fright.

That's all of them, in their entirety.

Which brings up a good point that both Lawrence and Abercrombie (and Richard Morgan and others) have discussed on their blogs over the last few months: the so-called grimdark books that people constantly attack and decry don't actually exist. Instead, you either have very small bits like the ones above blown completely out of proportion, or people just make poo poo up whole cloth (like the reviewer syphon linked to). That's not to say that the works of the three authors I just mentioned aren't dark, because they are, but they are not the nihilistic works of fiction their detractors like to pretend they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oh Snapple! posted:

May wanna read the last few posts again.

As I was talking about a topic that several authors, but not GRRM, blogged about, I did not feel it relevant to bring him up, though those authors certainly mention him.

So perhaps you should read the last several posts again.