Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Plucky Brit posted:

One thing I didn't pick up from the books. Why are the Magi so long-lived?

Because Gandalf is actually a minor god and so can be any age he likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

onefish posted:

Well, I don't know, it's new-ish. Particularly, the idea that a wizard is fundamentally different than a human, and will not have human interests at heart seemed *relatively* new, or newly employed, with Abercrombie. I have no idea if Merlin in that series has that feel to him as well, but it sounds like not quite. Though "good" wizards aren't usually short-tempered/manipulative/ruthless either.

Not only is it not relatively new, it's old as balls. Gandalf is an angel, Merlin is the antichrist

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

keiran_helcyan posted:

They say next to nothing on him, I know because I was wondering the same thing. We know he's the one who specialized in talking to spirits but that's about it, so at the very least he was still around when the seed was stored. I think someone asked Joe about it once and he played coy.

I strongly suspect that Ninefingers is either one of his descendants or that of one of his acolytes without even realizing it. The Magi serve Jeuvens and get magic, the Adepti serve Kanedias and get technology, and somehow Ninefingers can talk to spirits. He's obviously linked to the third brother in some way.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Jalenhorm was one of the guys who Jezal used to beat at cards back when he was training to be a fencer. They went to war when Jezal went on his adventures, and Jalenhorm is the guy who West sent back with the message that he was getting owned by northmen.

not gonna put this in spoilers because it spoils literally nothing.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clinton1011 posted:

I hope you are going to pick up Best Served Cold next, then The Heroes. I think he only gets better with every book he releases.

I really disliked Best Served Cold, it just didn't work for me. The Heroes ruled though.

I kind of feel like the risk of writing *Dark Fantasy* is that authors feel like they have an obligation to screw their characters and make unhappy endings even when it doesn't make sense to do so. Abercrombie has avoided this so far and I really like his characters, but sometimes I kind of worry that he'll end up like K.J. Parker and just start throwing unhappy endings in for no reason. I found The Folding Knife to be guilty of the very cliches it was trying to subvert, with an ending where it was like "welp, suddenly everything goes wrong even though things were totally fixable" and the catalyst for everything collapsing felt as contrived as when a bunch of eagles swoop down and save Sam and Frodo from Mount Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What irritated me about the Assassin trilogy is that the main character brings it all on himself. The princess who his uncle marries clearly loves him, his foster father who talks with dogs would have killed himself before hurting him, he completely fucks up the plot to make him kind by being a jerk to everyone he meets, he's mean to the dude who can see the future because he's a homophobe, he's even a dick to his wolf pal. Then he gets a new trilogy where he keeps loving up even more and it's just a disaster.