Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

John Charity Spring posted:

I agree here, but I still felt really sorry for West. He was a genuinely good man who tried to change and sort of managed it, unlike Logen who is an awful man who tried to change and absolutely couldn't. Although Logen when he's trying to change is pretty great; his character throughout Before They Are Hanged, when you can mostly forget who he actually is (or don't entirely know it yet), is probably the most likeable of anyone in The First Law.

I didn't think he was a bad guy in the books. He sounded like a real bastard when he was younger, but it's not entirely his fault later on. He just goes into uncontrollable psychotic rages at random. He's mentally ill instead of an evil dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

But remember that bit at the end of Kings? The one where Glokta and Luthar discuss making things better for the common man and stuff as best they can without Bayaz getting wind of it? All I'm saying is that Glokta isn't entirely a twisted evil little parody of a man. And show me the part where West dies, I challenge you. Oh, it's heavily hinted at, but even if magic=radiation, I'm not convinced that he was exposed enough to bite it. I don't think Bayaz said that the entire population of Aulcus died even if a lot of them did.

I will find my silver lining you bastards!!!

edit: also it's fun to use spoiler tags so it looks like whatever you're saying is really interesting, especially when it's not.

He's probably just lying to the idiot king and also at the very endHe tortures the Arch Lector for no reason other than his own amusement. You can empathize with him and he's not cartoonishly evil, but don't forget that he tortures and murders people for a living. Actually, not even a living his family is rich he just doesn't want to stay with his mom.

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 21, 2010

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

GloktaI thought Glokta ended up pretty well all things considered. He has a hot wife to help him around. He basically runs the Union. Plus, he still gets to torture people and doesn't have to deal with as many stairs. He realizes that he is a puppet, but he's just fine with that. Isn't the end of the book him torturing the former Arch-Lector for shits and giggles?