Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 handles footage off my 5dmkII in real time. This is a pretty serious step forward for editing on the PC. I was able to do this in Pinnacle before, but it wasn't nearly as fast as this. I'm not even using a CUDA video card to really take advantage of the Mercury Engine hardware acceleration.

Now if I can only get around to shooting something besides my parrot in his cage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 handles footage off my 5dmkII in real time. This is a pretty serious step forward for editing on the PC. I was able to do this in Pinnacle before, but it wasn't nearly as fast as this. I'm not even using a CUDA video card to really take advantage of the Mercury Engine hardware acceleration.

Now if I can only get around to shooting something besides my parrot in his cage...

:aaa:

I have a CUDA card. I must get CS5.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Cross_ posted:

No such thing as natural refresh rate.

The visual sensory store is about 100ms. A stimulus flashed for less than 100ms appears to last for about 100ms in our vision, and then quickly dissipates. This is the reason really old films seem to be flashing in brightness -- they were shot around 10fps and the actual presentation of a single frame was less than 100ms, and then there would be black until the next frame, so the perception of the previous frame begins fading (growing dimmer), and then the next frame flashes at full brightness. Dyseidetic dyslexia is caused by the sensory store being too strong -- as someone with dyseidetic dyslexia is reading, their eyes are rapidly moving to the next "frame" with each saccadic eye movement; because their sensory store is too strong, however, the next "frame" of words becomes difficult to read because the previous "frame" of words is now interfering.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

orange lime posted:

:aaa:

I have a CUDA card. I must get CS5.

You can get a 30 day trial of it (or any other CS5 app) from Adobe's website.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
That's quite interesting. However, I am not sure that I would call this short term memory a "refresh rate" since clearly we can see faster than 10 fps (up to 300 fps with large intersubject variance if memory serves).

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
The gravity cam guy has a new demo vid up : http://www.vimeo.com/12189571

Looks so awesome.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I made a dolly using the Ikea Ivar shelf plans that are floating around.

Total cost was like $60, works loving awesome.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

brad industry posted:

haha, awesome. Until steadicam rigs etc. come down in price I have the feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of macguyver video dSLR accessories.

I'm embarking on making a steadicam rig soon.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I was pretty surprised, most of the other ones I've seen used twice as many wheels and poo poo but I didn't want to spend that much and it works great. Super smooth. I'm borrowing a 5Dmk2 next week to do some tests, and I think I might get another Ivar and extend the track.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I watched a bit of the Vincent Laforet broadcast, and was shocked to see how much differently a video tripod was built. They've got a whole different use, and I was like, great, so nothing really shares between video and still.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more moderately priced video gear to cash in on dSLR users who don't quite have the liquidity to throw down 800 for a steadicam merlin.

If they don't we should get in on it, there's definitely money to be made at the low-mid end of this stuff as evidenced by the number of DIY projects.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 4, 2010

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am planning on picking up a rebel t2i for some video shooting\practicing. How would you guys recommend it?

I am definitely saving up for the next generation of mark 2 on the side. I have a feeling canon will focus on the video capability even more. Any idea when they will announce the new models? I am not quite sure when 7d and mark 2 came out.

Goose42
Dec 30, 2002
Figured I share this - friends and I have a group that competes in film contests (48 hour film challenges/ video commercials) and shot this "homage" to the SNL opening for a party we threw for all our supporters.

Was shot with Canon 7D at night, at an ISO of 3200 using the Canon EFS 18-135(i think - it was awhile ago) and no other lighting other than what was on the street/in the interiors of the places.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Goose42 posted:

Figured I share this - friends and I have a group that competes in film contests (48 hour film challenges/ video commercials) and shot this "homage" to the SNL opening for a party we threw for all our supporters.

Was shot with Canon 7D at night, at an ISO of 3200 using the Canon EFS 18-135(i think - it was awhile ago) and no other lighting other than what was on the street/in the interiors of the places.

This is really well done. As a life long SNL fan (except for a bunch of years there when it was terrible), I approve.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The D90, and I would imagine all Nikon's video-capable DSLRs, stops down to your set aperture when you enter Live View. Say you've set it to 3.5, if you then turn on LV, the aperture goes to 3.5. This doesn't matter when shooting still photos, but for video, that will be your aperture until you stop recording and exit LV.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

pwn posted:

The D90, and I would imagine all Nikon's video-capable DSLRs, stops down to your set aperture when you enter Live View. Say you've set it to 3.5, if you then turn on LV, the aperture goes to 3.5. This doesn't matter when shooting still photos, but for video, that will be your aperture until you stop recording and exit LV.

Thats why the lenses with a physical aperture ring are sweet to use. I point at something bright or dark, then lock exposure, then manually open or close the aperture on the lens itself to set it for the scene. But, I have to do all this because there are no video controls built into the stupid camera. drat early adoption.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Thats why the lenses with a physical aperture ring are sweet to use. I point at something bright or dark, then lock exposure, then manually open or close the aperture on the lens itself to set it for the scene. But, I have to do all this because there are no video controls built into the stupid camera. drat early adoption.

So you could do that with say this lens?

pwn
May 27, 2004

The aperture ring only works for this purpose if the lens isn't fully mounted.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I watched a bit of the Vincent Laforet broadcast, and was shocked to see how much differently a video tripod was built. They've got a whole different use, and I was like, great, so nothing really shares between video and still.

Well its really dependant on what you're shooting.

If you have a lot of static shots and not too many fast pans you can use a photo camera (you don't want wind either).

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

keyframe posted:

I am planning on picking up a rebel t2i for some video shooting\practicing. How would you guys recommend it?

I am definitely saving up for the next generation of mark 2 on the side. I have a feeling canon will focus on the video capability even more. Any idea when they will announce the new models? I am not quite sure when 7d and mark 2 came out.

The Rebel T2i is fairly close to the 7D in terms of sensor quality, the main differences for video people lie in the build quality (professional, weatherproofed vs. Prosumer-quality), the amount of buttons and dials on the back of the camera, and some audio stuff.
I would say that the Rebel is the best way to start off with, mainly because it leaves you with more money to throw into lenses (which really is what people should be concentrating on, because it really is what makes the picture great, plus the fact that they don't become obsolete and you can take them with you when you upgrade to your next camera body).

Also, I highly recommend checking out a nice lens or two for a weekend from a place like lensrentals, just so you have the experience and a chance to try things you normally wouldn't.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So I've rented a D300s for the week just to try it out and I'm bummed that the video options aren't any better than my D90. I mistakenly thought the D300s had manual shutter and ISO controls. Does the 7D have manual exposure control?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Josh Rushing from Al Jazeera English just posted on Facebook a link to the latest episode of his show Fault Lines. The show was recorded in several prisons in the US and done on a 5D mkii according to his Facebook post.

Josh Rushing/Al Jazeera + 5D mkii = a really good video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvqj8hgxRfg

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
A friend of mine who works for 944 told me that he can get me in as an 2nd photographer on every shoot he does, if I do Video on my 7D.

I'm gonna give it a shot at some band shoot in a couple weeks, but I haven't touched video since being a camera man in high school for the Morning Show we put on.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Does the 7D have manual exposure control?
7d, t2i, 5dmkII and the 1dmkIV all have manual exposure controls

g - fresh
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran
If you guys want to see a pretty in depth breakdown of different cameras and their video capacity you should check out http://www.zacuto.com/shootout which compares dslrs along with film cameras, its pretty amazing how well the dslrs stand up.

I had a chance to shoot a weekend of basketball with a 5dmk2 and an assortment of nice lenses and was really impressed with the quality. Its very challenging to shoot any kind of action and maintain a shallow depth of field since you have to focus manually, but we got some very nice results.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

g - fresh posted:

If you guys want to see a pretty in depth breakdown of different cameras and their video capacity you should check out http://www.zacuto.com/shootout which compares dslrs along with film cameras, its pretty amazing how well the dslrs stand up.

Watched the third and first videos and both were awesome. The amount of work that goes into filming is awe inspiring.

DelLobo
Jun 1, 2000

If you had a choice between using a 7d or an HVX, is there any reason to go with the 7d? I've been told by a bunch of friends about how great video on these dslr's is, but if you already have access to an HD video camera, why bother? Especially if you are trying to capture sound to it (which, as the sound guy on this next shoot, is my major concern. they are asking me to use an external recording device if we go with the 7d, but this just seems like a HUUUGE hassle for the editor when he has to sync everything up in post)

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

DelLobo posted:

If you had a choice between using a 7d or an HVX, is there any reason to go with the 7d? I've been told by a bunch of friends about how great video on these dslr's is, but if you already have access to an HD video camera, why bother? Especially if you are trying to capture sound to it (which, as the sound guy on this next shoot, is my major concern. they are asking me to use an external recording device if we go with the 7d, but this just seems like a HUUUGE hassle for the editor when he has to sync everything up in post)

It looks like the HVX is a better choice unless you want the depth of field that you can get with a digital SLR or the much larger SLR lens selection. I don't know how significant the depth of field differences are -- it would be much more pronounced when comparing a 5D2 and an HD video camera.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

DelLobo posted:

I'm still really inexperienced (hence following this thread silently for so long so maybe I can learn something :v:), but I can assure you that from what little experience I do have (mostly in editing, and recently more in sound), syncing second system audio is really not that difficult unless your AD and camera operator have absolutely no idea what they're doing, and even then it's only a little bit of a hassle unless you've got a massive amount of footage. Mostly it's a little time consuming, but getting a good work-flow going is easy and it just flies by.

For me, anyway. This is coming from a first/second year film student who's only worked on a few short films, though, so take it with a grain of salt, I guess.

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 16, 2010

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Goose42 posted:

It's pretty freaking awesome to see someone do an SNL style opening around Philly :)

I've been saving up some money for a t2i. They seem to be in pretty short supply though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DevNull posted:

Josh Rushing from Al Jazeera English just posted on Facebook a link to the latest episode of his show Fault Lines. The show was recorded in several prisons in the US and done on a 5D mkii according to his Facebook post.

Josh Rushing/Al Jazeera + 5D mkii = a really good video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvqj8hgxRfg

That was really good, thanks for sharing.

I'm watching the Cyberwar one now and jesus christ the cinematography is annoying. CHECK OUT MAH SHALLOW DEPTH OF FIELD YO

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

DelLobo posted:

It's really not that hard unless your editor is a complete retard.

Just make sure to slate every take, and take halfway decent sound logs.

DelLobo
Jun 1, 2000

Viper_3000 posted:

It's really not that hard unless your editor is a complete retard.

Just make sure to slate every take, and take halfway decent sound logs.

this is reassuring. I've always just shot into the camera. Thanks for the advice dudes.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
What should I do for wind noise in stuff like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_rintjema/4713582975/ ?

Is there anything I can put on the camera, or do I need an external mic? I have a 7D.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I have found that an external mic is the only way to go. I use this one on my 7D/5DII, it works great and cancels out focus/image stabilization noise. It also comes with a "dead kitten" muff that kills wind noise in even the most extreme conditions. Even the slightly cheaper mics are a gigantic improvement over the on board mic.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Wooten posted:

I have found that an external mic is the only way to go. I use this one on my 7D/5DII, it works great and cancels out focus/image stabilization noise. It also comes with a "dead kitten" muff that kills wind noise in even the most extreme conditions. Even the slightly cheaper mics are a gigantic improvement over the on board mic.

Haha I was going to post that. I used it recently at E3. Still picked up a lot of background noise but it's not designed to prevent it. Also the dead kitten muff a. works great in windy conditions and b. just looks hilariously awesome.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

brad industry posted:

I love the DIY Dolly rigs. My friend built a dolly rig using particle board, skateboard wheels, and pvc pipes.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I don't even own a dslr, but I thought this was really interesting: http://www.zacuto.com/shootout

I guess most of you have seen it, but I'd like to hear some dorkroom opinions on it, if you have any. :)

Were the tests fair? What did you think of their conclusions and predictions?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I shot this for a friend on his 7D a few weekends ago. I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to pull focus in daylight with that tiny rear end screen. Next time when I get more than a few hours notice I'll look into renting one of those eyepieces and an actual shoulder rig. I'm still happy how it turned out though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-XNZKlxb4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Viper_3000 posted:

I shot this for a friend on his 7D a few weekends ago. I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to pull focus in daylight with that tiny rear end screen. Next time when I get more than a few hours notice I'll look into renting one of those eyepieces and an actual shoulder rig. I'm still happy how it turned out though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-XNZKlxb4
You did pretty loving good for no shoulder rig. Great video.

• Locked thread