Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I'm recording some company presentations to my Sony a7S, but the audio isn't great. I'm looking for a lavalier mic with decent audio quality (3.5mm if possible). The expected range is probably between 6 and 9 meters.

Does anyone have recommendations for good microphones for filming or general advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Sennheiser G3.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried Sony's new digital hybrid stuff? Running off the multifunction shoe on the FS7 seems interesting. I've never even touched a Sony wireless set—seems like everyone I know is either on the G3 or something from Lectrosonics.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Not useful to most people probably but it looks like ML found a way around the internal record limits for the build it released last week.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14644.0

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

powderific posted:

Has anyone tried Sony's new digital hybrid stuff? Running off the multifunction shoe on the FS7 seems interesting. I've never even touched a Sony wireless set—seems like everyone I know is either on the G3 or something from Lectrosonics.

It's usually because we've all experienced interference using anything that's not a stupidly expensive wireless system.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Just out of curiosity, what's out there for DIY MoVi rigs?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't think that's something that's worth DIYing, especially if you're just starting out. Don't buy/build so much poo poo.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Thoogsby posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's out there for DIY MoVi rigs?

The cheesy cam guy diy'd something like this a while back but as 1st AD said it's probably not worth the hassle. Pretty sure it was around $1-2k.

Pretty sure I saw that Came either updated or slashed the price of their gimbal. Around $1300.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

So does the C100 price drop to $3k completely eliminate the demand for the 5D3 as a video camera?

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
The 5D3 eliminated the demand for the 5D3 as a video camera

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It took 3 people to convince me this wasn't an April Fool's joke.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The 5D3 records a better image than the C-series cameras IMO. Plus it has raw capability even if it's annoying to use and requires that you buy/rent the most expensive CF cards.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

1st AD posted:

The 5D3 records a better image than the C-series cameras IMO. Plus it has raw capability even if it's annoying to use and requires that you buy/rent the most expensive CF cards.

You're out of your mind. In H264 mode the sharpness and clarity is completely killed because of anti-aliasing

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Anyone here ever use Cinelog-C? I'm getting some pretty cool results going from BMD 4k > Cinelog-C > Alexa Log-C Wide Gamut in Resolve and I can ditch my raw files almost right away.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Why would you ditch your raw files again? I'm not following the logic here.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Storage and organization mostly. I can store a Cinelog-C ProRes 4444 intermediary file that I can open in Resolve and transform into any colorspace with a third of file size.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That sounds like a really convoluted way to get to Prores, if you don't plan to finish your grade with the original raw why wouldn't you just shoot Prores to start with?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Wouldn't that require an external recorder? If you set up a preset in Resolve it only takes a minute or two and if you ever wanted to you can revert the intermediate file back to DPX files.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Oh for some reason I thought you were shooting with a Blackmagic camera. Magic Lantern adds a lot of time to your workflow, you may want to consider instead upping the bitrate and shooting h264, especially if you're not doing the kind of grading that would break an h264 video (heavy curves manipulations, keys everywhere, etc). Especially when you're starting out, you'll get a lot more longevity out of your footage if you learn to light and compose your shots better. Raw is icing on the cake for those who are already working with fantastic footage and are good colorists.

Generally I would recommend converting Magic Lantern raw to DNG, generating some kind of low bitrate proxy (Avid 115 or Prores LT) with your LUT of choice inside Resolve, edit, then roundtrip back to Resolve and grade the DNG.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
What's the advantage of grading in dng rather than the original file? Resolve processes in 32 bit float no matter what, yeah?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I don't think you could grade a file right out of ML even if you wanted to. If you're using mlv_rec the file needs to be extracted to DNG using something like MLVFS and then debayered in ACR or Resolve.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Totally misread that and convinced the two paragraphs. Thought he was advocating covering H.264 to DNG for some reason.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

DJI is showing off a new trimmed down Ronin model at NAB that looks to be geared towards DSLRs and Blackmagic cameras.

https://vimeo.com/124775834

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read someone saying that it'd work with cameras up to a stripped down C300, which is a pretty big swath of cameras.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Double posting to say that the new URSA mini looks pretty sweet. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursamini

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Resolve 12 looks tight, but we'll see how long time users feel about the UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMsLQDS0YeU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thoogsby posted:

Resolve 12 looks tight, but we'll see how long time users feel about the UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMsLQDS0YeU

Good. Granted we JUST built a Resolve station so we aren't long time users, but really it felt like it wanted to have those features anyway and just sort restrained itself. Now it's just like "gently caress it people edit in us anyway so let's just be an NLE."

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The UI largely looks the same as it has since 10. I just hope the editing panel actually works this time out because editing in 11 was way too clunky and seemed to assume that you were going to be using mostly a mouse.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Looks like it will support Canon RAW CR2. I'm hoping some of the new features like the clip ISO adjustment aren't locked down to just BM cameras.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ISO adjustment isn't locked to Blackmagic cameras, it works on r3d files just fine and has been a feature forever :confused:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
God loving damnit. So a documentary fell in our lap and an important meeting popped up this morning and we had basically zero warning. So I grab my D600 and equipment and head out to get some footage. End up getting some good footage (made 5 or 6 clips). Go to switch lenses and when I put the new lens on it won't record anymore. Says Card ERROR and welp all the loving footage is gone. All of it. Jesus loving christ. loving piece of poo poo sandisk Transcend card. Never using them again.

edit: It says 5 gigs are used although zero files show up. Running a Recuva deep scan on it to see if it fixes it.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 14, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I've had that happen before, it was a bad card but the device locking up was always fixed by reseating the lens and pressing the shutter to clear it.

This is why I only buy Sandisk Extreme Pros, they have a 5 year warranty and they always replace the card with a current model one which is how I ended up with more of the fancy 95 mb/s cards.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

I've had that happen before, it was a bad card but the device locking up was always fixed by reseating the lens and pressing the shutter to clear it.

This is why I only buy Sandisk Extreme Pros, they have a 5 year warranty and they always replace the card with a current model one which is how I ended up with more of the fancy 95 mb/s cards.

Once I took the bad card out it worked fine. Blech. And yeah only nice cards for me from now on. I usually use our work stuff which is much nicer but the last minute-ness of this caught me off guard. Never again! (it will happen again)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So the deep scan recovered ALL of the files and movies that were on the card BEFORE I formatted it (pics of my baby girl). Yet there was zero of the new stuff on it. How does that even work?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think what happens is the card isn't recording a thing, so the entire video fills up the frame buffer until you run out and the camera just crashes.

I really wish Nikon would implement overflow recording for video since they have it for photos, but right now you have to manually select a card slot to record video to and there's no automatic switching when one card runs out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

I think what happens is the card isn't recording a thing, so the entire video fills up the frame buffer until you run out and the camera just crashes.

I really wish Nikon would implement overflow recording for video since they have it for photos, but right now you have to manually select a card slot to record video to and there's no automatic switching when one card runs out.

If it was just the video that was recording when it crashed or the last video or something I could understand. But recording 5 or 6 clips and have NONE of them show up in the recover is kinda weird.

Either way, I'm ordering those new cards today and firing these into the loving sun.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Usually mine would fail about 3-4 minutes into recording which is why I guessed it was the buffer filling up and getting stuck, if it's multiple clips then that's really weird.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

1st AD posted:

ISO adjustment isn't locked to Blackmagic cameras, it works on r3d files just fine and has been a feature forever :confused:

I think now you can adjust pre-debayer

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Files recovered!

Unfortunately none of the free services out there (I'm lookin' at you Recuva) would work for whatever reason. They never saw the files.

I tried the free trial of UndeletePlus which lets you do the scan before paying. They showed up there but were marked red and listed as "overwritten." Decided to chance it, bought the program, recovered them and it worked perfectly.

Phew!

Now I need a decent handheld stabilizing rig. I'm using a Zacuto Marauder I won a while back and it's a nice 3 point contact system, but I want something with some stabilization abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

I think now you can adjust pre-debayer

If you're talking about changing ISO in the raw tab, that was always the first correction before anything else is applied like LUTs, curves, etc.

• Locked thread