Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Was point presenter on an update to multiple C-Suites today. It went about as smooth as it could - all it took was my subconscious thinking we were talking to cops and yelling “SHUT THE gently caress UP” whenever I thought about speaking more than necessary.

Got a “thank you, nice job” email afterwards which I’m printing and putting on my annual review.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Our talent development org released their skill priorities for the year and told all employees across all functions around the world to focus on taking the internal training for them. These trainings are "optional but highly encouraged." Each curriculum is about 8 hours and is a mix of LinkedIn Learning courses and internal ppt decks. The skills are: AI, Coaching, Finance, and Resilience.

I'm waiting for the follow-up to people leaders saying "while they're optional, make sure your team still takes all the trainings even if it's not relevant to your function at all and the courses won't be enough to make them skilled in the areas."

Wtf is 8 hours of resilience training going to consist of.

Edit: is just doing all 8 hours supposed to teach you resilience?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Sundae please tell us what drugs you're manufacturing so that I can know to find alternatives now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Democratic Pirate posted:

Was point presenter on an update to multiple C-Suites today. It went about as smooth as it could - all it took was my subconscious thinking we were talking to cops and yelling “SHUT THE gently caress UP” whenever I thought about speaking more than necessary.

Got a “thank you, nice job” email afterwards which I’m printing and putting on my annual review.

Shutting the gently caress up is the best and hardest skill to develop in that scenario. Bravo!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Volmarias posted:

Given how direct deposit and the checking system works in the US, I feel like that's a nice thought but generally irrelevant. The bank doesn't really care who's taking the money or why, as long as it sounds legit.

Again, given that from a legal standpoint the only consequence is at worst a mean glare from a regulatory agency and having to give it back, I'm not going to hold my breath on a company doing the right thing, especially when you probably signed some sort of forced arbitration document when you were hired, and they'll assume you don't actually know your legal rights.

The consequence is the employee sues and wins. If your employer does a textbook illegal thing with your paycheck that’s generally a good thing if you can wait a bit to get paid more in the settlement.

I’ll gladly take them seizing a $4k check to collect $8K-$25k on the settlement 9 mo later knowing that they also paid $10k-$20k to my counsel who took the case on contingency.

Please dick me over in textbook illegal ways, US companies. Wage and hour employment litigation really puts the civil in civil litigation. For the most part the sub $75k cases are very cordial unless the clients are on the call and done in around 7 months, at least in the jurisdictions I’m familiar with. The FLSA in particular is quite prescriptive so it’s basically make an excel sheet to figure out liability then argue for as much as you can to get it done before real discovery/summary judgement. Judges rarely want to throw out FLSA cases for minutiae so the defense bar knows a motion to dismiss prob ain’t gonna work. Defense attorney costs to summary judgement start at $75k. Attorneys fees and double damages are written in to the FLSA, so if they’re found to owe you $1, they pay attorneys fees. They could bring counterclaims for the clawback, but they still probably violated the FLSA, and potentially other laws as well, so they pay your attorneys fees.

I wrote this for the other posters ITT cause Volmarias the type of dude who likes to make things up and double down when wrong.

If someone fucks with your pay you can generally gently caress them back in the US. Even in Texas.

EDIT: in case it’s not obvious, withholding an entire paycheck for a clawback would *probably* reduce an employees compensation for the affected weeks below the minimum wage. This is likely a textbook FLSA violation and may violate other laws as well. This sort of textbook violation is what plaintiffs attorneys love. They’ll pile on the other stuff but something that black and white means they’ll get paid.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 19, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Democratic Pirate posted:

A nice, early observation of "Shut the gently caress up Friday" !

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Awkward Davies posted:

Every time I have to push through several hours of bullshit liability-shifting 'training' that hasn't been accounted for in terms of my other deadlines, I feel a lot less bothered by everything else in my life, including those other deadlines, so in that sense all pointless training is resilience training.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Awkward Davies posted:

Within cells interlinked.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm not sure if the AI or Resilience courses are more useless.

The latter is a prereq to having to listen to the former

CarForumPoster posted:

I wrote this for the other posters ITT cause Volmarias the type of dude who likes to make things up and double down when wrong.

That's... fair. I've corrected too hard from baseless optimism to baseless cynicism, so I actually do appreciate the call out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Sundae please tell us what drugs you're manufacturing so that I can know to find alternatives now.

Early stage development. Unless you're a Phase I trial patient, you can't take them anyway.