Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Tomfoolery posted:

Maybe there are goats out there working as seasonal laborers, migrating from company to company as financial years end.

...completing the circle.
It'd be nice to see the barbarity of stack ranking completely defeated by a conspiracy of everyone below the C-suite.

"Yes boss, stack ranking and associated terminations have concluded for another year. We really separated the wheat from the chaff thanks to your enlightened leadership!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Barudak posted:

Been fired three times this season, hoss. Be a nice even number this friday, god willing and the reviews come in.

*Checking over a new applicant's CV, eyebrow raised*

"Says here you've had six jobs in four years."

"Yep! In and out, smooth as."

"But before then I see you lasted two years at Gigacorp."

"That wasn't my fault! Consent decree! They couldn't fire anyone until the judgement expired!"

"I don't know. I need goats, understand? Not complications."

"I'm good for it I swear! I'll ignore task descriptions! Microwave fish! I don't know what the second line of an email even looks like!"

"Fine. You'll get your chance. But if you're not fired by September I'll... uh. Hm."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Atopian posted:

...completing the circle.
It'd be nice to see the barbarity of stack ranking completely defeated by a conspiracy of everyone below the C-suite.

"Yes boss, stack ranking and associated terminations have concluded for another year. We really separated the wheat from the chaff thanks to your enlightened leadership!"
I propose stack ranking the C-suite.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Can't do that, they're all very different skill sets, couldn't possibly compare them to each other

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tnuctip posted:

Good read thank you. As someone that made a successful company (obviously not mine) and been in that world, do you agree with the tone of the article, or is that just a widely accepted definition?

I generally agree with the article, yea.

My startup turned into a decent but small lifestyle business and this article is a portion of explaining why. Also we went through YC which means that I personally must blow Paul Graham is he ever asks. Fortunately he hasn’t, but I would if asked, it’s in the contracts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah if you are going to have action items in an email you need a thing at the top that says ACTION ITEMS: with a sentence, a when, and an @

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Could be worse, could be sniffed.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Or snuffed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah if you are going to have action items in an email you need a thing at the top that says ACTION ITEMS: with a sentence, a when, and an @
This is where consultancy is great. You can just dump everything into a report and then charge for meetings to explain the report to people. As many times as they like.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Slicked?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Swapped

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Nm hadn’t refreshed

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Last week's re-org meeting featured the phrase "blue sky research" with the apparent definition of "research being done for the sake of research without advancing a project." In context, "no more blue sky research will be permitted; all research must be project-coded and have an approved project cost center. The days of research just to advance research are over."

Nobody has ever once used "blue sky" correctly, have they?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Last week's re-org meeting featured the phrase "blue sky research" with the apparent definition of "research being done for the sake of research without advancing a project." In context, "no more blue sky research will be permitted; all research must be project-coded and have an approved project cost center. The days of research just to advance research are over."

I’ve always understood blue sky to mean “unfettered by current practical considerations”.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sundae posted:

Oh hey, I didn't realise the dev team in my last place had a pharmaceuticals manufacturing arm.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
YouGov sent me a study that said
24% of workers admitted to committing """expense fraud"""
where they claim business expenses on personal purchases. Ignoring the fact that they call it "Spendageddon" (seriously what?) when I think back to every firm I've ever worked for I feel like """expense fraud""" was heavily encouraged by my superiors and peers?

My first job as an intern/co-op while I was in university still I got sent to the other side of the country routinely and I remember my first trip I ever made my boss pulled me aside and said "here's what you do: you're going to eat free breakfast at the hotel and get a cheap lunch, maybe splurge for some dinner; you're going to claim the full per diem that corporate allows for and you'll just pocket all of it, ok?"

This has more or less been the norm for every business related travel I've ever taken for multiple companies.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That’s not fraud. Per diem is per diem.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That’s not fraud. Per diem is per diem.

Exactly. And what your first boss told you is pro-level per deim. I used to sleep int he back of my pickup on Bodie Island and pocket my per diem. I even structured my service calls to make drat sure to hit the outer banks on thursday/friday and occasionally get "stuck" on Ocracoke past the last ferry so whoops gotta spend another day. That barely-articls doesn't even characterize what they're talking about.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 16, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The look of horror on my boss's face when she realised that I had expensed gummy bears was pretty great.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I have a corporate card, and my expense report is auto-populated with charges to the card. I also have to provide a receipt for anything over $20. And you have to jump through a lot of hoops to expense things not on the card (like if you paid cash for a cab or something), so it's harder to take advantage. But you know I'm getting snacks and ordering more food than I really need at meals because it's in my business travel daily allowance.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 17, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

in a well actually posted:

Could be worse, could be sniffed.

Pounded.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
When I worked for Motorola the per-diem was garbage but the food allowance was insane, something like 125GBP for London, 80zl for Krakow, in 2007, alcohol included.
I was a pretty uncultured kid but I tried to spend as much of that as I could. :patriot:
(hardest part was getting a receipt in Poland)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

~Coxy posted:

When I worked for Motorola the per-diem was garbage but the food allowance was insane, something like 125GBP for London, 80zl for Krakow, in 2007, alcohol included.
I was a pretty uncultured kid but I tried to spend as much of that as I could. :patriot:
(hardest part was getting a receipt in Poland)

I did the opposite, we did get fairly generous fixed per diems, so the trick was to spend as little of it as possible, and pocket the rest. You had to spend some money on a meal, or you got zero for that meal.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey guys I have a genius idea. We need to reduce the number of outages related to maintenance work so here's what we're gonna do.

Forms. Lots of required forms. We're going to add so many required forms to our change request system that it takes 45 minutes to put in a ticket. The newest form is simply named "CTIO Questionnaire". The change management team straight up couldn't figure a better name so they're calling it exactly what it is. A bunch of questions the CTIO want answered that serve no real purpose. Of course, most of the questions being asked in it are already answered in other parts of the ticket.

We also have so many extended lockdown periods for every reason under the sun, that many projects are being rushed in order to fit in between the embargo periods. This is having the exact effect you would think.

I've straight up stopped doing optional work. I catch a typo on an interface description on a router? I could spend 45 minutes putting in a change request form in order to be allowed to fix it sometime next week, or I can just ignore it. I understand the requirements high risk or major work, but my day to day requires 2-3 of these things that I just put in for documentation purposes and they're extremely low risk.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Also on the newest form, one of the questions is "Is this part of a greater project?"

Easily the best question that's on there! You can use this as an opportunity to link a ton of change requests together to more easily track progress or search for everything that has been worked on a specific system when we do our outage scrubs. But no, it's a yes/no dropdown that you can't even put the project name into.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's asking if that change is doing the right thing to serve God

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lockback posted:

It's asking if that change is doing the right thing to serve God

God is dead otherwise he would never have allowed corporate to happen.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Why the gently caress does the new OneNote have bigger tabs? Font size is still the same - it's just more spacing. So much so that it bumped three of my tabs that would be visible on the old version to the drop-down :argh:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evobatman posted:

I did the opposite, we did get fairly generous fixed per diems, so the trick was to spend as little of it as possible, and pocket the rest. You had to spend some money on a meal, or you got zero for that meal.

My last job let me cash out my per diem ahead of the trip. This was nice for conferences because I would have the hotel breakfast, conference lunch, then my boss would buy dinner.

These days I carry a corporate card.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Having a corporate card was nice because then you don't need to figure out the exchange rates or wait before finding out they mucked up something on your paystub.. Just gotta add a little explainer for anything over $250 which was very infrequent - hotels was pretty much the only thing that would trigger it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

In my Big4 days I passed by the office managing partner telling a new partner that the food and drinks expectations for new client dinners was ‘reasonable spend, not unlimited.’

Still curious what the bill looked like and what bottles of wine got them flagged.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

What have I learned from today's training? 100% implementation of GMP leads to either death or pirates. 10 / 10, no notes.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

priznat posted:

Having a corporate card was nice because then you don't need to figure out the exchange rates or wait before finding out they mucked up something on your paystub.. Just gotta add a little explainer for anything over $250 which was very infrequent - hotels was pretty much the only thing that would trigger it.

My favorite thing is that purchases on the card are automatically imported to certify and I don't even need receipts unless I exceed a category threshold.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Fool posted:

My favorite thing is that purchases on the card are automatically imported to certify and I don't even need receipts unless I exceed a category threshold.

:same: it was very seamless and easy.. and the $250 was a really good amount to not have to get all sorts of approvals for lol

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Our R&D conference has been scheduled, but with new changes. It's...

1) At an even smaller place than previous years, so it'll be even more overcrowded
2) Not reimbursing mileage to get to it (take the company bus if you don't like paying for gas)
3) No more hoodies, just a T-shirt
4) No reimbursing parking if you don't take the bus
5) Eat the specified meals at the conference or no meal reimbursements while there.
6) Require upper management approval for not sharing a room with another employee now (big old nope to me right there)
And 7) it's on my anniversary

I was tempted to open Chrome's Inspector mode just so I could modify the "No" button to "gently caress No" before clicking it. :v:

(Sales folks still fly to Vegas for theirs, of course.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ve had about 3 “table flip” moments so far this week where I strongly considered saying “gently caress this poo poo” to my boss and peace out’ing. This isn’t even related to the problem employee but all the rapid fire pivots we are being forced to do along with the inevitable being around at 9pm to start tests on a new hilariously broken bit of software. And then getting poo poo because we didn’t check it again at midnight to ensure it was still running (script crashed because no one can test anything because we don’t have any systems available to test our infrastructure on).

If another posting locally opens up I’m just applying I don’t give a poo poo about having to pay back signing bonus at this point.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sundae posted:

6) Require upper management approval for not sharing a room with another employee now (big old nope to me right there)

christ, it's an adult job, not summer camp.

priznat posted:

If another posting locally opens up I’m just applying I don’t give a poo poo about having to pay back signing bonus at this point.

I think we've had this discussion before, but I would never pay a signing bonus back. Maybe if you really felt like you dicked them over and it's the fair thing to do, but obviously the job wasn't as advertised. That's on them. They aren't going to take you to small claims. Maybe HR will mention it if a prospective employer calls them up, but I would think that would be the worst possible thing that could happen. Perhaps someone has some experience to the contrary though....

Baddog fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 17, 2024

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Baddog posted:

christ, it's an adult job, not summer camp.

Agreed. I have medical reasons for not wanting to share a room, but frankly I shouldn't have to explain those to some random admin I've never met because we make enough money to build a loving hotel and burn it down after the convention each year if we wanted without turning a loss. Give people their own rooms.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sundae posted:

Wow what? Big NOPE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Early in my career, I was in a training where we had to share rooms. Luckily, it was a suite style, so we had individual bedrooms (but a shared bathroom and living space). I was 24 and didn't know any better.

Fast-forward to a few years ago at my last job, where I was asked to attend a client's business development conference. I found out that they were making participants share rooms, and I told my boss "I'm getting my own room. I can expense it fully to the client, or I can charge the difference internally. But I'm not going to this conference and sharing a room with someone." I ended up expensing it fully to the client.