Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Was point presenter on an update to multiple C-Suites today. It went about as smooth as it could - all it took was my subconscious thinking we were talking to cops and yelling “SHUT THE gently caress UP” whenever I thought about speaking more than necessary.

Got a “thank you, nice job” email afterwards which I’m printing and putting on my annual review.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Our talent development org released their skill priorities for the year and told all employees across all functions around the world to focus on taking the internal training for them. These trainings are "optional but highly encouraged." Each curriculum is about 8 hours and is a mix of LinkedIn Learning courses and internal ppt decks. The skills are: AI, Coaching, Finance, and Resilience.

I'm waiting for the follow-up to people leaders saying "while they're optional, make sure your team still takes all the trainings even if it's not relevant to your function at all and the courses won't be enough to make them skilled in the areas."

Wtf is 8 hours of resilience training going to consist of.

Edit: is just doing all 8 hours supposed to teach you resilience?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Sundae please tell us what drugs you're manufacturing so that I can know to find alternatives now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Democratic Pirate posted:

Was point presenter on an update to multiple C-Suites today. It went about as smooth as it could - all it took was my subconscious thinking we were talking to cops and yelling “SHUT THE gently caress UP” whenever I thought about speaking more than necessary.

Got a “thank you, nice job” email afterwards which I’m printing and putting on my annual review.

Shutting the gently caress up is the best and hardest skill to develop in that scenario. Bravo!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Volmarias posted:

Given how direct deposit and the checking system works in the US, I feel like that's a nice thought but generally irrelevant. The bank doesn't really care who's taking the money or why, as long as it sounds legit.

Again, given that from a legal standpoint the only consequence is at worst a mean glare from a regulatory agency and having to give it back, I'm not going to hold my breath on a company doing the right thing, especially when you probably signed some sort of forced arbitration document when you were hired, and they'll assume you don't actually know your legal rights.

The consequence is the employee sues and wins. If your employer does a textbook illegal thing with your paycheck that’s generally a good thing if you can wait a bit to get paid more in the settlement.

I’ll gladly take them seizing a $4k check to collect $8K-$25k on the settlement 9 mo later knowing that they also paid $10k-$20k to my counsel who took the case on contingency.

Please dick me over in textbook illegal ways, US companies. Wage and hour employment litigation really puts the civil in civil litigation. For the most part the sub $75k cases are very cordial unless the clients are on the call and done in around 7 months, at least in the jurisdictions I’m familiar with. The FLSA in particular is quite prescriptive so it’s basically make an excel sheet to figure out liability then argue for as much as you can to get it done before real discovery/summary judgement. Judges rarely want to throw out FLSA cases for minutiae so the defense bar knows a motion to dismiss prob ain’t gonna work. Defense attorney costs to summary judgement start at $75k. Attorneys fees and double damages are written in to the FLSA, so if they’re found to owe you $1, they pay attorneys fees. They could bring counterclaims for the clawback, but they still probably violated the FLSA, and potentially other laws as well, so they pay your attorneys fees.

I wrote this for the other posters ITT cause Volmarias the type of dude who likes to make things up and double down when wrong.

If someone fucks with your pay you can generally gently caress them back in the US. Even in Texas.

EDIT: in case it’s not obvious, withholding an entire paycheck for a clawback would *probably* reduce an employees compensation for the affected weeks below the minimum wage. This is likely a textbook FLSA violation and may violate other laws as well. This sort of textbook violation is what plaintiffs attorneys love. They’ll pile on the other stuff but something that black and white means they’ll get paid.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 19, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Democratic Pirate posted:

A nice, early observation of "Shut the gently caress up Friday" !

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Awkward Davies posted:

Every time I have to push through several hours of bullshit liability-shifting 'training' that hasn't been accounted for in terms of my other deadlines, I feel a lot less bothered by everything else in my life, including those other deadlines, so in that sense all pointless training is resilience training.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Awkward Davies posted:

Within cells interlinked.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm not sure if the AI or Resilience courses are more useless.

The latter is a prereq to having to listen to the former

CarForumPoster posted:

I wrote this for the other posters ITT cause Volmarias the type of dude who likes to make things up and double down when wrong.

That's... fair. I've corrected too hard from baseless optimism to baseless cynicism, so I actually do appreciate the call out.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Sundae please tell us what drugs you're manufacturing so that I can know to find alternatives now.

Early stage development. Unless you're a Phase I trial patient, you can't take them anyway.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sundae posted:

Early stage development. Unless you're a Phase I trial patient, you can't take them anyway.

TraderStav posted:

TraderStav if it makes you feel any better, every single thing you eat and drink that passed through a factory has had the same shortsighted bullshit happen to it. It’s not just in pharmaceuticals!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tactlessbastard posted:

TraderStav if it makes you feel any better, every single thing you eat and drink that passed through a factory has had the same shortsighted bullshit happen to it. It’s not just in pharmaceuticals!

This is not a very fun fact

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So that's what's behind this bag of Torridos.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
New guy in my team who bitched endlessly about management in his old team has decided it's now his mission to correct the problems in his old team, and believes this can be done by raising the old team's culture as a health and safety risk with the CEO (who is like 6 levels of management above me). After I tell him this isn't his problem to solve and no, he is not allowed to continue to do work from the old team because he has a new job now, he sends me a passive aggressive email stating that he "respects my opinion" and won't raise it again.

My dude, this is not how you get your contact renewed :(

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

tactlessbastard posted:

This is just not true. Not all companies or industry are equally incompetent, nor are there similar opportunities for failure or harm.

Sundae, I won’t press the issue, but…at some point this is something to report.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Discendo Vox posted:

Sundae, I won’t press the issue, but…at some point this is something to report.

I don't know who needs to hear about this BS, but if I ever figure it out, I'm PMing Sundae loving stat.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Discendo Vox posted:

Within cells interlinked.

Interlinked.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

~Coxy posted:

Interlinked.

This entire thread is... actualy entirely on baseline, carry on.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

bee posted:

My dude, this is not how you get your contact renewed :(

I respect your opinion on that, op

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That’s not fraud. Per diem is per diem.

My old, old, boss said that one of the guys that we worked with back in the day used to eat cheap food for lunch/dinner and then spend his entire per diem on a bottle of champagne at the hotel, now that's some top tier min-maxing right there.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Looking at Gantt charts causes me physical and psychological pain

idk I think they're fine unless they're overloaded with poo poo and taken super seriously when it comes to dates. Unless you're doing something important and not just throwing out aspirational goals like I am.

My MD boss asked me why the hell he hasn't seen a consolidated roadmap (which imo is best done as a sort of gantt/timeline combo so you can do high and low level) and the only answer I could give was "because the actual programme managers won't take the view I've built for them and add to it, or take the dates and add it to theirs. I don't know wtf they're doing". "Ok fine maybe they are just too junior and have no idea what they're doing, I didn't want to do this but I'm going to call their management ".

Also I got "when will this issue be closed out? We must have dates! Why are there no items in Q6? We need a six quarter view!", ok 1) that issue can never be closed it's literally "we don't have enough people to do the work and we can't hire more and we have no way to change this" and 2) because we haven't got work planned that far ahead? Which the plan shows?.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

My old, old, boss said that one of the guys that we worked with back in the day used to eat cheap food for lunch/dinner and then spend his entire per diem on a bottle of champagne at the hotel, now that's some top tier min-maxing right there.

idk I think they're fine unless they're overloaded with poo poo and taken super seriously when it comes to dates. Unless you're doing something important and not just throwing out aspirational goals like I am.

My MD boss asked me why the hell he hasn't seen a consolidated roadmap (which imo is best done as a sort of gantt/timeline combo so you can do high and low level) and the only answer I could give was "because the actual programme managers won't take the view I've built for them and add to it, or take the dates and add it to theirs. I don't know wtf they're doing". "Ok fine maybe they are just too junior and have no idea what they're doing, I didn't want to do this but I'm going to call their management ".

Also I got "when will this issue be closed out? We must have dates! Why are there no items in Q6? We need a six quarter view!", ok 1) that issue can never be closed it's literally "we don't have enough people to do the work and we can't hire more and we have no way to change this" and 2) because we haven't got work planned that far ahead? Which the plan shows?.

On the one hand it's nice that anyone in a corporation cares about anything beyond the current quarter. On the other hand, Q6?!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

TraderStav posted:

Shutting the gently caress up is the best and hardest skill to develop in that scenario. Bravo!

+1. “It’s like talking to the cops” is a brilliant analogy for upper exec reporting.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Fil5000 posted:

On the one hand it's nice that anyone in a corporation cares about anything beyond the current quarter. On the other hand, Q6?!

It's a stupid long term planning thing in some companies to try to guess what will be done 6 quarters from now. Yes that's as stupid as it sounds and yes it's a waste of time thinking about it

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

When I was running a small design department I found them super useful. People would come and say “we’ve got this project, can you have a designer to work on it during this time?” I maintained my own Gantt chart so I could just look and see availability. Worked great.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
I work for a large financial company. Gantt charts here are nightmarish and they're never ever right and we have a whole group of people who we pay 6 figures to spend their week badgering everyone for updated dates and updating the charts and then repeating the process

To make things worse we also have almost every software team highly specialized to do exactly one thing each so there are a zillion dependencies to keep track of

Nobody seems to want to fix or even improve this system at a high level because "we just have to get stuff done". gently caress you. Stop over committing to too much work and give us all some breathing room to make our system better. Clowns

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Beefeater1980 posted:

+1. “It’s like talking to the cops” is a brilliant analogy for upper exec reporting.

HR are the cops.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nobody seems to want to fix or even improve this system at a high level because "we just have to get stuff done". gently caress you. Stop over committing to too much work and give us all some breathing room to make our system better. Clowns

This is the source of so many problems in like every industry. Everyone is willing to let poo poo collapse in the name of output. “Company culture” goes exactly as far as the next quarterly statement.

I also hold that lean principles are (broadly applied) cancerous to organizations and will eventually destroy any group they are applied to, with mayyybe a few limited exceptions that I can’t think of before my sixth cup of tea.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
For some reason my Outlook has stopped showing badges or any indicator on my taskbar that I have a new email. It's made me miss emails today because I never bother to tab into Outlook unless the taskbar says there's a new email.

Anyone else seeing this and/or how do I fix it?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

This is just not true.

Oh, word?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Word. As someone who cares about this stuff, doommongering cynicism about industry does not help inform people or improve the situation.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Cool. After "revamping" our quality process, we once again ended up with something that is a checklist gotcha rather than actual good feedback for what we are doing. Totally missing the forest for the trees.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I work for a large financial company. Gantt charts here are nightmarish and they're never ever right and we have a whole group of people who we pay 6 figures to spend their week badgering everyone for updated dates and updating the charts and then repeating the process

To make things worse we also have almost every software team highly specialized to do exactly one thing each so there are a zillion dependencies to keep track of

Ah, you have "change functions" too! As noted, ours do everything in PowerPoint. Everything. I had to put the same updates into 4-5 different places to fit their different templates for different meetings.

These are the same ones that can't put a coherent combined roadmap together because the one they currently use is based on dragging icons round a table in... PowerPoint.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

Cool. After "revamping" our quality process, we once again ended up with something that is a checklist gotcha rather than actual good feedback for what we are doing. Totally missing the forest for the trees.

Quit doommongering, that would never happen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I don't know who needs to hear about this BS, but if I ever figure it out, I'm PMing Sundae loving stat.

It sounds like the people who would care are the ones telling him to do it and he's being set up to be the fall guy. If his earlier speculation is correct the collision of "can't produce" with "can't keep factory in compliance" is the excuse they've been looking for to move everything to a discount manufacturing facility outside of the country.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

For some reason my Outlook has stopped showing badges or any indicator on my taskbar that I have a new email. It's made me miss emails today because I never bother to tab into Outlook unless the taskbar says there's a new email.

Anyone else seeing this and/or how do I fix it?

Is the new mail systray icon in the overflow area?
Or is it not appearing at all?

Sometimes marking all mail as read (you will have to add it to the ribbon, it's not there by default" clears up oddities like that, although I normally find it's the opposite issue. (new mail icon in the systray without any unread emails)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
You all feel that???? That's the feeling of all those terrible morale issues just melt away.

That's right! It's free office pizza day! Morale is cured! Our poo poo rear end raises no longer matter! All the bad things are gone!!!! Everything is perfect! Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

On one hand, yes. On the other hand, Pizza is good.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
We’re on our 3rd layoff in a year with the startup I’m at. While it’s not really corporate, the incompetence and tone-deaf approach to them definitely rings heavily of corporate.

I need to find a new loving job.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Grumpwagon posted:

On one hand, yes. On the other hand, Pizza is good.

I unironically could eat pizza 7 days a week and be fine with it.

rufius posted:

We’re on our 3rd layoff in a year with the startup I’m at. While it’s not really corporate, the incompetence and tone-deaf approach to them definitely rings heavily of corporate.

I need to find a new loving job.

Sounds like somebody needs some free office pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Renegret posted:

I unironically could eat pizza 7 days a week and be fine with it.

Sounds like somebody needs some free office pizza.

Waffle party!