Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I hate the idea of tracking small fungible crap and asking for it back. I run the IT for a mid market company with about 1000 employees, many of whom work remotely. My cost to send someone a dock, two monitors, and a keyboard + mouse is under $500. I don't track what I send to who, and when someone separates I'm just concerned with getting back things that can hold our data, not things that cost more than they're worth to ship.
I tell finance to chalk it up to the cost of employee acquisition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We were cutthroat about it when I worked for the military. The mice and keyboards were whatever, we had plenty. The monitors and laptops we demanded back and doing inventory every year was a nightmare, everything needed to be confirmed as being in X location and higher ups would get on us about missing things. We were help desk but you know, you get to do almost everything like inventory too

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wow 5pm Friday and still waiting on a bundle drop we need to be testing over the weekend that was promised for noon. You could set a loving atomic clock by the drop schedule, 7pm on a Friday guaranteed.

There’s a job posting for a company that I am perfect for - the only problem is that I would probably have to support the current company, lol.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Mine the miners? I don’t know how much dumbness they push on to their vendors but maybe you have an inkling?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Tonight is night one of my vacation. I have been in my hotel for 3 hours. I have already been texted twice for emergencies with "CALL US BACK RIGHT NOW" as the messages, roughly. PG&E power outages in our manufacturing area, where we have products currently running.

I am cursed.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Silly Newbie posted:

I hate the idea of tracking small fungible crap and asking for it back. I run the IT for a mid market company with about 1000 employees, many of whom work remotely. My cost to send someone a dock, two monitors, and a keyboard + mouse is under $500. I don't track what I send to who, and when someone separates I'm just concerned with getting back things that can hold our data, not things that cost more than they're worth to ship.

This should probably go in the dumb poo poo your work does thread, but at my work property were upset that apparently some monitors and docks went home with people when covid kicked off and didn't come back, so now all peripherals are cable locked onto the desks.

Meanwhile, last week I helped do a hazard audit and discovered a storeroom with a dozen $2000 Herman Miller chairs in it that I'm told are waiting to go to the dump. Apparently someone ordered too many, but couldn't return them. Can't donate them because we're a government department and it might appear preferential, can't let employees take them home because taxpayers funded them. We don't have room to store them so off to landfill they go :rolleyes:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bee posted:

This should probably go in the dumb poo poo your work does thread, but at my work property were upset that apparently some monitors and docks went home with people when covid kicked off and didn't come back, so now all peripherals are cable locked onto the desks.

Meanwhile, last week I helped do a hazard audit and discovered a storeroom with a dozen $2000 Herman Miller chairs in it that I'm told are waiting to go to the dump. Apparently someone ordered too many, but couldn't return them. Can't donate them because we're a government department and it might appear preferential, can't let employees take them home because taxpayers funded them. We don't have room to store them so off to landfill they go :rolleyes:

Sounds like Bee's Waste Handling Service should tender a bid to handle this job.

Sundae posted:

Tonight is night one of my vacation. I have been in my hotel for 3 hours. I have already been texted twice for emergencies with "CALL US BACK RIGHT NOW" as the messages, roughly. PG&E power outages in our manufacturing area, where we have products currently running.

I am cursed.

Maybe a PM should just schedule another batch about it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bee posted:

You can't sell them as government surplus?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Wowee what did someone gently caress up so hard that we're on the second month of "nobody touch anything we need to ensure things are stable!"?

Also we were dealing with a guy on something and on Monday got an email from someone else in his team saying "yeah he got canned along with half the entire team", my theory is that there's a "purge your bottom X% of people" going on because it's the only reason I can see for the number of these things happening.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 27, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sundae posted:

I am cursed.

What the gently caress are you supposed to do about it from a different continent?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The best part about my work and vacations is that if you’re outside of the US, it’s insanely mega turbo illegal to do any work unless the client and the contract are very, very specific about it. Can’t bring your company or client laptop under any circumstance.

I’ve got a workaholic coworker on vacation in Greece right now. They had asked for the invite for a meeting before they left “because that day is a rest day”. I reminded them that it’s turbo illegal to do any work while overseas, and the disappointment in their voice was incredible.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Quackles posted:

Apparently the only surplus place around here is overstocked and won't take anything. I've heard that there may or may not be a period of time where said chairs are left outside the building while waiting for the removalists to come pick them up and who knows, maybe some of them might roll off down the street or something :iiam:

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Good-Natured Filth posted:

One of my direct reports is a go-getter to a fault. He's regularly volunteering for work "extracurriculars" - employee satisfaction committees, DE&I clubs, moderating an ERG panels, etc. This has certainly gotten him lots of high-level exposure, but it has also puts a ton on his plate, so I've been coaching him on how to assess these opportunities against his workload before volunteering. Because the last thing I need is for him to get burnt out due to his own eagerness.

Today, we were on an org meeting, and the Director was asking for volunteers for some BS committee and specifically called on my report by name (because people know that he's historically loved that poo poo). My report replied "I'll need to look at my upcoming workload and get back to you if I have bandwidth."

Saying no without saying no. I'm so proud.
Nice, I just recently noticed some of my reports needed to be given this advice. It took me years to learn, so hopefully this saves them a lot of over-commitment.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Vasudus posted:

The best part about my work and vacations is that if you’re outside of the US, it’s insanely mega turbo illegal to do any work unless the client and the contract are very, very specific about it. Can’t bring your company or client laptop under any circumstance.

I’ve got a workaholic coworker on vacation in Greece right now. They had asked for the invite for a meeting before they left “because that day is a rest day”. I reminded them that it’s turbo illegal to do any work while overseas, and the disappointment in their voice was incredible.

Oh really? I wonder if that why my US colleague wasn't allowed to do a day in the office when she was over here on holiday because "you can only work if it's a company paid flight".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Oh really? I wonder if that why my US colleague wasn't allowed to do a day in the office when she was over here on holiday because "you can only work if it's a company paid flight".

The vacation thing wouldn't apply but there's different interpretations on "travel for business" and when your authorized to work and your company sounds like they take a fairly strict line.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lockback posted:

The vacation thing wouldn't apply but there's different interpretations on "travel for business" and when your authorized to work and your company sounds like they take a fairly strict line.

It sounds like it's related to export control and compliance.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Boris Galerkin posted:

It sounds like it's related to export control and compliance.

Oh yeah that will do it, especially if it's ITAR. The law is way less settled/cut and dry than you'd think, I've had all sorts of combinations of nationalities and countries people have worked in and across multiple companies I've gotten a lot of "yeah I guys as long as they commit a felony I didn't think anyone will care".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Quackles posted:

If this is US government they are REQUIRED to as far as I know. Because if not they just "donated" them to the waste hauler who will absolutely resell them. This kind of thing that's talked about when we're discussing government waste and our tax dollars at work.

Their boss or facilities or whoever needs to contact the GSA so the correct thing can be done here. Because throwing away new surplus product paid for with tax money is not it. (again, if US) But on second thought, if they bought these properly, from someone on the GSA schedule and on a GSA contract the would have been anle to return them. So somebody probably hosed up and is trying to bury it. Notifying the GSA would be asking for a reprimand.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 27, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bee doesn't work for US fedgov, if memory serves.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Eric the Mauve posted:

What the gently caress are you supposed to do about it from a different continent?

Look like you are a Serious Employee by “helping” in a time of crisis!

This kind of performative bullshit is de rigueur at my work.

See also: adding anyone even tangentially related to an issue to the teams chat channel as it gets more escalated until there are 50+ people on the chat all carrying on simultaneous conversations and arguments with each other.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

See also: adding anyone even tangentially related to an issue to the teams chat channel as it gets more escalated until there are 50+ people on the chat all carrying on simultaneous conversations and arguments with each other.

Sundae just needs to call the power company and tell them to turn it back on, easy peasy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Thinking back to old laptop chat, job before the job before I spent two years in my office before I got around to having facility drill the lock to the drawer in my desk.

There was a laptop in there, we never figured out where the gently caress it came from or who it belonged to. Head of IT claimed we’d never used that model.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Generally desk drawers have such poo poo locks that if you're ever in the same situation again buy a box of shirt pins, stuff the keyway full of them, and twist. It'll more than likely open and let you get whatever is in there. Then you twist back to re-lock it and claim it must have always been empty.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Generally desk drawers have such poo poo locks that if you're ever in the same situation again buy a box of shirt pins, stuff the keyway full of them, and twist. It'll more than likely open and let you get whatever is in there. Then you twist back to re-lock it and claim it must have always been empty.

Every third-party-contracted after-hours corporate office cleaning person knows this

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's why you should always be nice to the cleaners. They'll teach you cool tricks like that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

That's why you should always be nice to the cleaners. They'll teach you cool tricks like that.

They also probably work harder than you, be appreciative!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I always leave them fine candies and computer equipment and stuff as a thank you. I keep them locked in my desk drawer so my greedy co-workers don't get at them first.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Silly Newbie posted:

Our asset management has asked for some monitors to be shipped back for when people leave, but the box that arrives for the laptop to go back doesn't have room. For some reason, they think that everyone in the company is using the same monitors and don't understand that there are multiple generations of lovely monitors and its not worth sending any of them back.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Or just use a key from any other nearby drawer because they'll use a couple of patterns at most.

Or if it's really lovely, lift the unit and see if it's one of the ones with the locking bar you can just pop from the bottom.

I always lol when work are like "clear desk pls, laptops must be locked away in the office in a desk" when the drawer locks are such utter poo poo. Compared to the 25 character password required on boot, building security etc., I feel like one useless lock is probably not adding much. Same for those locks that tie the laptop to the desk that literally nobody has ever used.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah I tried picking it, and I never had any keys. No one did. That’s what happens when your company has a 200% y-o-y turnover.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Volmarias posted:

They also probably work harder than you, be appreciative!
They objectively do TBH.

Or just use a key from any other nearby drawer because they'll use a couple of patterns at most.

Or if it's really lovely, lift the unit and see if it's one of the ones with the locking bar you can just pop from the bottom.

I always lol when work are like "clear desk pls, laptops must be locked away in the office in a desk" when the drawer locks are such utter poo poo. Compared to the 25 character password required on boot, building security etc., I feel like one useless lock is probably not adding much. Same for those locks that tie the laptop to the desk that literally nobody has ever used.
Those locks that you can open by wrapping a bit of paper around a pen and then shoving the resulting tube into it? Those are very secure, everyone should use them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Picking master locks and similar low quality locks is an extremely cheap hobby that genuinely impresses people. I keep a rake and tensioner around for this reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It discourages casual snooping and pilferage. It also means that if someone gets caught with information or material that they aren't supposed to have then they were going out of their way to acquire it, which can have further implications in some high security environments.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know why but it just occurred to me that countless white nerds have probably celebrated getting their PMP to the tune of 50 Cent and I don’t like it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CarForumPoster posted:

Picking master locks and similar low quality locks is an extremely cheap hobby that genuinely impresses people. I keep a rake and tensioner around for this reason.
Many years back when I went back to college I saved the head of the school a bunch of money off the yearly budget when she forgot her keys in her office and I showed her how to pop Kensington locks with paper. She was horrified for a moment, and then realised she could just stop pissing away money on them when stuff inevitably got stolen anyway.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CarForumPoster posted:

In the UK going around with lockpicking tools can considered "going equipped" to commit a burglary which can land you with three years in prison, which takes some of the fun out of it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Fil5000 posted:

In the UK going around with lockpicking tools can considered "going equipped" to commit a burglary which can land you with three years in prison, which takes some of the fun out of it.

That can be true in the US as well. I had them at work/home where I was the boss, going around with them is prob a bad idea in many places.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

CitizenKain posted:

Our asset management has asked for some monitors to be shipped back for when people leave, but the box that arrives for the laptop to go back doesn't have room. For some reason, they think that everyone in the company is using the same monitors and don't understand that there are multiple generations of lovely monitors and its not worth sending any of them back.

It really is insane, the value of a standard monitor drops to basically zero when you pull it out of the box, and they're expensive to ship. Just write them off!
I do have some sympathy with the cable locking stuff to desks crowd though. I had one office so looted that the people that actually worked in office didn't have enough gear. I had to send a company wide email telling people not to just take things from the office. It's no secret that if you have a legitimate business need I'll just send brand new stuff to your house!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

priznat posted:

Also, "impact assessments" and "return to service action approvals" are a thing for us. PG&E had their usual brown-out fun in a way that the generators deactivated to avoid blowing everything up, which meant the air handlers turned off and the production environment lost its differential pressure between inside/outside. They weren't contacting me to fix the generators, but rather to tell me there was product being manufactured in the rooms. Then it was up to me to tell them what to do with the materials, whether the exterior rooms are contaminated now, what they need to do to get the rooms back up and running / QA-approved / aligned with the validation master plan, etc etc. That plus they needed to know the safety risks of the products so they knew if they could even enter the area or if they had to go and get hazmat-qualified folks with PAPRs.

So, slightly more reasonable than "Sundae, fix the power," but still horseshit that the rest of my (former) engineers could have handled if they'd stop being so loving helpless. Some of that learned helplessness is my fault for not kinda-sorta hanging them out to dry earlier in my tenure here and making them handle it themselves, and part of it is the weird organizational thing where I'm not a manager, but a senior IC who also manages. It's tough for me to balance growth opportunities for direct reports with things that legit are in my job expectations and not theirs.

Doesn't matter once this transitional period ends; I lost all but one of my direct reports in this last re-org and am back to a formal senior IC again. Still, so loving irritating.

Oh, and then when I tried to go to bed, out came all the roaches in my hotel room. I changed rooms at 3AM and then slept in until 2PM. Happy vacation everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias posted:

Maybe a PM should just schedule another batch about it

Sundae posted:

Oh, and then when I tried to go to bed, out came all the roaches in my hotel room. I changed rooms at 3AM and then slept in until 2PM. Happy vacation everybody.

nailed it