Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

My coworker microwaved fish. To make matters worse, he threw some of it in the trash. On a Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Good power move

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The power move was to microwave fish next week as well.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Marking his territory.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

priznat posted:

The linkedin things where they try to get "experts" to answer questions like "how would you debug an automotive processor" or whatever is just bizarre. Is this just harvesting lovely answers to train AIs or something?

The one I got today was "How can you troubleshoot a USB port that isn't working on your PC?"

Absolutely inane bullshit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

~Coxy posted:

The one I got today was "How can you troubleshoot a USB port that isn't working on your PC?"

Absolutely inane bullshit.

It’s so weird because any useful answers are going to take effort to write up and anyone who actually knows probably won’t waste their time. So you get a lot of folks who kinda sorta know some stuff and give the most useless answers possible.

Also I noticed LinkedIn now doesn’t have enough posts from people or companies I follow to show me anymore and they just start showing me random people’s stuff without even the “suggested” title on it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

After I added my new job title (which is some incredibly anodyne corporate speak) I get spammed with connection requests from random people, mostly recruiters or people trying to sell consultancy services.

But also I occasionally get this celebrity dentist guy adding me, twice he's done it now! Jokes on him though, when I finally got my teeth fixed it was by a dentist that went on to get in some fancy magazine for being really good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Crossposting from retail thread:

Cowslips Warren posted:

got my employee review last week, and we went through the entire loving 15 minute deal until the very end, when my manager realized he had gone over another employee's review instead of mine. Whoops.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If only the thread title could be that long.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Dammit I made a note on my calendar and everything but I still managed to miss it--gonna do it now anyway. Happy 5th anniversary (a month ago) to the greatest post in this thread's venerable history

Midjack posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A LOGFILE INTO THE NETWORK. IT’S YESTERDAY'S ACH TRANSACTIONS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN BANK HSBC. I LOOK AT EVERY TRANSFER AND I LOOK AT EVERY TRANSFER HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME RTGS PAYMENTS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP RECIPIENT ACCOUNTS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY LAUNDERED THE WORLDS MOST DANGEROUS CASH. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY AML COMPLIANCE DIVISION AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE SWIFT CODES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:cheerdoge:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lmao

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Our quarterly town hall this morning has a list of questions people submitted. One is (paraphrased) "Our stock price is low, but execs know things we don't. When do you think it will go up?"

In other words, please help me do insider trading.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Our quarterly town hall this morning has a list of questions people submitted. One is (paraphrased) "Our stock price is low, but execs know things we don't. When do you think it will go up?"

It's always frustrating when I see one of the dumbest people on the planet yet they somehow make more money than me. Always makes me wonder how they got there.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

We got an email saying "submit your anonymous questions for X, send an email to the team here, don't worry, we won't use your name!" lol nice try.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Had an urgent call yesterday because one of the VPs had been speaking with the CEO, who was complaining that the market reacted negatively to the quarterly results. Please ignore that revenue outperformed and the actual negative news was that he fired 10% of the company.

The takeaway is, of course, that we have to defy physics and biology to get clinical results even faster.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

"So, uh, you guys gonna be doing any vibe based layoffs too or nah?" is a more generous read.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Talked to current boss more about my departure, and I told him about the amount of risk in my staying (not being in charge of things I’d need to fix/improve, etc), he did make some good points about taking a leap to be happy and not living to work. Still told him no, it’s more money now from new place.

Then I found out that he’s been getting in to crypto day trading…… possibly another red flag to calibrate off his risk preferences? :lol::lol::lol:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tnuctip posted:

Talked to current boss more about my departure, and I told him about the amount of risk in my staying (not being in charge of things I’d need to fix/improve, etc), he did make some good points about taking a leap to be happy and not living to work. Still told him no, it’s more money now from new place.

Then I found out that he’s been getting in to crypto day trading…… possibly another red flag to calibrate off his risk preferences? :lol::lol::lol:

Not a red flag because you are leaving anyway. RIGHT????

Once you make the decision to leave you should probably stop talking to your current employer about it.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Jordan7hm posted:

Once you make the decision to leave you should probably stop talking to your current employer about it.

I’ve tendered my resignation and have not withdrawn it, despite boss going hard on counter to get me to stay. I’m an idiot so I’ve actually gave it honest consideration and it’s torn my brain up for the past week. Because I’m an idiot, just not so massive of one to accept the counter.

And a bunch more poo poo was broken on my day off…..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Please leave

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If acting like you're considering it keeps the peace for your last days there, that's fine, but yeah, leave and don't look back

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Tnuctip posted:

I’ve tendered my resignation and have not withdrawn it, despite boss going hard on counter to get me to stay. I’m an idiot so I’ve actually gave it honest consideration and it’s torn my brain up for the past week. Because I’m an idiot, just not so massive of one to accept the counter.

:frog:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

docbeard posted:

If acting like you're considering it keeps the peace for your last days there, that's fine, but yeah, leave and don't look back

This'll also help preserve your relationship with your boss, so in the future he can invest his FAT CRYPTO STACKS into your new business

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Tnuctip posted:

If your boss really wanted you to stay, he would have offered you shares of Dogecoin.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Jordan7hm posted:

Nah, it's probably a job you should HODL on to.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

At the town hall this morning, they mentioned that an update to the "flexible" work policy was coming and to keep an eye out because it will impact folks working remotely. The e-mail just came from the head of HR. The policy update is that the radius to be classified as a remote employee was increased from 50 miles to 100 miles. This means if you live within 100 miles of an office, you can't be remote without 2 levels of management + HR approval for an exception.

Still doesn't impact me because I'm 600 miles from the nearest office, but loving :lol:. They really want to lay people off without laying people off. Obviously getting my resume in order and paying more attention to openings elsewhere. Because the company is increasingly hostile towards remote employees.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

... if you live within 100 miles of an office, you can't be remote without 2 levels of management + HR approval for an exception.

3-5 hours of driving every single day, no big deal

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Baddog posted:

3-5 hours of driving every single day, no big deal

It's good for the culture, obviously. All that time sitting in their car, they'll be able to think of so many ways to contribute to the organization!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Looking forward to hearing about how they're environmentally friendly

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Maybe I’m biased living in the Boston area, but the amount of stress and psychological damage incurred by requiring a commute probably shaves a year or two off of your employees’ lifespans, before even considering the more tangible risks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
woof

my commute is a little over 40 miles, is absolutely hellish, and has been recognized as one of the worst in the department.

100 miles, that's a solid lol from me. That's almost the entire length of long island

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
However, today I tried to swipe my badge to open the motion sensor to the bathroom door.

So if I find out anyone saw me do it, unfortunately I'm going to have to ghost my job in embarrassment.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I had a recruiter ask me if I'd travel 80 miles each way once a week. I said no.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Anonymous Robot posted:

requiring a commute probably shaves a year or two off of your employees’ lifespans

Yes but at that point they will have left the workforce so it's a non-issue!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

I had a recruiter ask me if I'd travel 80 miles each way once a week. I said no.

I had a ~100 mile commute once a week for 2 years. The only thing that made it manageable was getting mileage for it. Even then I got a hotel most weeks because the drive was easily 3 hours one way with morning traffic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trabant posted:

Yes but at that point they will have left the workforce so it's a non-issue!
Not if the retirement age keeps creeping up they won't! :eng101:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't commute anymore.

When I first started I would metro for at least an hour each way (bus down the street to the metro, then the metro from VA into MD) that sometimes turned into two hours based on whatever disaster was happening with metro at the time. Five days a week for four years.

Then I changed contracts to another location and my commute cut down to 30 minutes, but still required a bus and a metro connection and was still five days a week. Did that for a year.

Changed contracts/client again and bought a house - commute cut down to a single 10 minute bus ride, but again five days a week on-site (or more like 1-2 days a month remote maybe).

Pandemic happened and nobody was allowed on-site period. We managed to make it work, and the spell was broken. If people want me they can get me for MAYBE a single day a week, probably for a half day, and only if it's something that absolutely needs to be held in-person like a whiteboarding session or anything involving classified content.

I've reached a level of seniority in my field that I have the luxury of outright refusing to commute and being able to demand people bend their schedules to accommodate my travel restrictions. It's pretty nice, you just have to be in complete agony for a decade to get the juice.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a 70km commute each way, opposite direction to the traffic, I sit in my nice car and listen to a podcast for 40 minutes. The Swiss suck at driving but even dealing with the incompetence is no big deal.

Honestly less stress than commuting the same duration by public transport in London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
100 miles without accounting for traffic also.

My first job in LA was 11 mi from my apartment and could take 45m-1 hr to get home from when traffic was bad (which was always).