Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

CancerCakes posted:

I'm interviewing today, can someone give me some interview questions that might actually give the candidate an opportunity to show their value, other than the poo poo ones I got from hr. Please?!

Do you have stairs in your house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Ungratek posted:

Tell me about a time something went wrong and it was entirely your fault

Tell me every sin you've made since birth, in chronological order.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Heat death or stable state?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Motronic posted:

I just took a security training that was a 20 minute fully produced story of a hacking attempt from the perspective of the hackers and our company's internal security staff shot like an ersatz episode of NCIS. Someone burnt a ton of money and on what could have been conveyed in a 4-slide deck. It was kinda surreal.

And ended with "the next episode of what happens after the hack will be out soon".

My old job did this and it was great because it was so serious but had things like "back in the hacker den..." Which was of course dark and had blue lights and desktop towers and two people going "*hacker voice* I'm in", and of course it was all based on basically "hi no I don't need aml clearance to change the payment details, it's really urgent, you need to do it to get this deal through!"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Ungratek posted:

Tell me about a time something went wrong and it was entirely your fault

I sigh as I unfold a printout of my posts.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I sigh as I unfold a printout of my posts.

Hmm.

*takes notes*

Hmm. I see. And then?

*takes notes*

Of course. Nice meltdown, Mr Hander.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
"Tell us why we should hire you"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

How many table tennis balls could fit in the fuselage of a 747?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

How many table tennis balls could fit in the fuselage of a 747?

If you're interviewing for Boeing, "How many table tennis balls would you leave in the fuselage of a 747 after manufacture?"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My old job did this and it was great because it was so serious but had things like "back in the hacker den..." Which was of course dark and had blue lights and desktop towers and two people going "*hacker voice* I'm in", and of course it was all based on basically "hi no I don't need aml clearance to change the payment details, it's really urgent, you need to do it to get this deal through!"

Yes, it was exactly this level of cheese. Along with "technical" details that any first year IT person would know are fiction.

CancerCakes posted:

I'm interviewing today, can someone give me some interview questions that might actually give the candidate an opportunity to show their value, other than the poo poo ones I got from hr. Please?!

On a serious note, I like to ask open ended questions about how they would approach solving a problem relevant to the position they're interviewing for...something vague, not specific and I make it clear I'm just looking for their approach, not a technical solution. That not only gets you a sense of how they operate, but gives them a chance to plug in relevant experience and get a feel for just how collaborative or individually they're likely to approach work.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Atopian posted:

If you're interviewing for Boeing, "How many table tennis balls would you leave in the fuselage of a 747 after manufacture?"

I've seen Mythbusters, those would provide lift buoyancy, which is actually relevant to Boeing as well.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CancerCakes posted:

You’re in a desert, walking along the sand when all the sudden you look down and see a tortoise. It’s crawling towards you. You reach down and flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise is on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t. Not without your help, but you’re not helping. Why is that?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cemetry Gator posted:

You’re in a desert, walking along the sand when all the sudden you look down and see a tortoise. It’s crawling towards you. You reach down and flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise is on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t. Not without your help, but you’re not helping. Why is that?

Gonna start asking this just so I can insta-hire anyone who responds with, "The Turtle Moves."

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

CancerCakes posted:

"What do you actually want to do?"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"Would you rather be right or be happy?"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

can't have one without the other

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

God dammit some guy on the other side of the world has incorrectly tagged me on a photo on linkedin somehow and now I'm getting pinged with "Steve Ballsack liked a post you're mentioned in!".

Car Hater posted:

What if proving people wrong makes me happy though?

(It does)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Car Hater posted:

"Buddy, at this point, I'd be glad to take either one"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

(It does)

Well, would you objectively recommend people to hire you?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

God dammit some guy on the other side of the world has incorrectly tagged me on a photo on linkedin somehow and now I'm getting pinged with "Steve Ballsack liked a post you're mentioned in!".

Is it spam? Did they tag a bunch of unrelated people at once to try to garner views? That poo poo happens on Facebook all the time, and I could definitely see it making its way to LinkedIn.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Car Hater posted:

There's a podcast called Comedian's Comedian where the host interviews comics and always ends with the question "are you happy?". That might be a fun one to throw at people.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Trabant posted:

I've seen Mythbusters, those would provide lift buoyancy, which is actually relevant to Boeing as well.

Not when the door pops off and they all flow out!!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I found out someone at my company resigned because they wanted him to pivot into people management and he said no, and they promoted him to a management role anyway and told him he didn't really have a choice because his resources are needed there. Today was his last day lmao.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's a beautiful story. I wish I was that smart.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Lockback posted:

Well, would you objectively recommend people to hire you?

I...hmmm.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hotel Kpro posted:

"Tell us why we should hire you"

Only hire them if they answer "Tell me why I should work for you"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I found out someone at my company resigned because they wanted him to pivot into people management and he said no, and they promoted him to a management role anyway and told him he didn't really have a choice because his resources are needed there. Today was his last day lmao.

Respekt. What’s he doing next? His old job but for someone new?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Cemetry Gator posted:

The turtle is represented and I have no time for grievance hearings.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

priznat posted:

Respekt. What’s he doing next? His old job but for someone new?

He told us at lunch today that he doesn't have another job yet. He just really didn't want to manage people.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Boris Galerkin posted:

He told us at lunch today that he doesn't have another job yet. He just really didn't want to manage people.

Absolute legend

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Out: finance consultant

In: Fractional CFO

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Absolute legend

:agreed:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Boris Galerkin posted:

(It does)
I feel like these posts should be related.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Boris Galerkin posted:

You love to see it

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Out: finance consultant

In: Fractional CFO

I was thinking about doing that on the side.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Jesus Christ. I thought I was going to get actual work done today, but instead one of my staff members has decided, on her last day before going on parental leave, to flip her poo poo over not being allowed to take her work laptop on leave with her. Turns out she had a sneaky plan to delay her computer upgrade until her final week, got a brand new Macbook Pro from IT and was planning on taking it home with her for the next year, which would leave her replacement with no device.

She then sent an enormous email to me, my director and HR claiming that it's discriminatory, that this "debacle" means she can no longer manage and track her payslips and employment paperwork (which....you can do on any non company device), and that she is entitled to keep it because..she's worked here long enough? I had to literally grab it and stuff it in my locker so she didn't steal it on the way out. Glad she did it all in writing, please enjoy your PIP when you return.

People management, not even once

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
She sounds like a bit of a piece of work, but you should really just give people their own laptop.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We are a fully Krompliant workplace so the only hiring question is the riddle of steel

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

~Coxy posted:

She sounds like a bit of a piece of work, but you should really just give people their own laptop.

Also the part about retaliatory PIP directly after maternity leave would look pretty sus, if she literally hasn't been to work for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Issaries posted:

Also the part about retaliatory PIP directly after maternity leave would look pretty sus, if she literally hasn't been to work for a year.

Eh, if you've got receipts for lovely behaviour with everything dated and you're just saying "Hey, you don't get to have company poo poo when you're not working and you sure as gently caress doing get to be lovely to people when they tell you no" then I dunno if that counts as "retaliatory".

I agree that it's crappy to not have a laptop per person though, even in academia finding a few hundred bucks for kit doesn't seem absurd.