Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Getting passed over for 'promotions' (which are really just extra responsibilities with no pay) based entirely on seniority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Oh god. I've worked as an engineer for an A/C and heater manufacturer for five years. While we're a smaller company, it looks like pretty much everything applies to me. Some fantastic bullet points:

1. My boss is retarded. He cannot spell, he cannot use proper grammar, and he even lacks verbal communication skills. Here is a typical email he sent to a customer.

quote:

We will seal around the holes with foam filter on Booth side to seal. We do not want to make this to small so you will have some tolerance for you hose connections.

My emails are typically very detailed and I have gotten in trouble in the past for that.

2. I am the only person in the company that knows how to use a computer. I routinely show people how to access the files on the server, remove viruses, etc... Half of the people don't even know how to save stuff to their computer from an email. If I send someone an email stating that a file is at S:\TCHENG\31-33\31\filename.pdf, they call me and have me email it to them because they don't know how to access it. Which would be fine, if they didn't need me to do it every other day.

3. I am the only person in the company that knows how to use a camera. If I want a decent picture, I have to take it myself. Otherwise it will either be blurry (nobody knows what macro mode is), a video instead ("I wondered why it said it was recording!") or you won't be able to tell what they're taking a picture of. I am also the only person in the company that knows how to get pictures off of the camera, and so every hour I have people bringing me one of the three company cameras with pictures that they need printed/emailed.

4. I am the only person in the company that knows our part numbering scheme. It's not very good, but its been in use for twenty years and its not something we can easily change. But, there are certain tricks to it. If somebody tells me they need a 3425022A6001A I can immediately tell you it's a painted part (34...) for a condenser (250XX) and it is probably a bracket (6001). People are constantly amazed that I can tell them what a part is based on the part number (we have thousands of numbers).

5. The blame game. The motherfucking blame game. If something goes wrong, its always somebody's fault. This is why I am stupidly anal about paperwork. If someone rights something up with a wrong part number on it and I process it without noticing it, I always make sure I can find it easily. I have excel sheets with thousands of ECR numbers so I can quickly search through them and find the request and who wrote it, to absolve me of any wrongdoing (not that I'm perfect, but I'll at least admit when I make a mistake, unlike other people). Because I do all of the CAD, all of the instructions, and all of the engineering changes, I'm the first person people look to blame; I have to make sure that if it's not my fault, I can let it be known. I hate passing the buck like that, but my job pretty much depends on it.

6. Everyone wants their requests done immediately. Everyone. Sales promises customers things that can't physically be done. I have to find a way for it to work, but to do it properly takes time. We regularly release systems that haven't been properly tested, built, etc... and despite being burned on it repeatedly, we still do it. I tell them we can either do things quickly or correctly, but we always end up doing the former rather than the latter.

7. Parking spaces. We don't have assigned parking spaces. But certain people get mad if they can't park in the same spot they always do. I like to show up a few minutes early and take their spot just to piss them off.

So basically, I usually feel like I'm the only competent person working here, and because of this I've become a 'go-to' guy for special requests, in addition to my already massive work load. However, I've long since stopped caring, and I don't come in early, I don't stay late (I can't anyway, I have a daughter to pick up) and I take my time and do things correctly, which gets on a lot of people's nerves.

I don't do any of the bullshit office politics that tends to go on. I do my job and I think I do it pretty well, and it's gotten to the point where if I quit I'd probably gently caress the company pretty good because I'm the only one that ever knows what's going on. Not that I'd test my luck of course. I have successfully gotten a raise though, when nobody else in the entire company (supposedly) did because they were afraid of losing me and knew I was underpaid.

edit: Wow, this was longer than I thought. I'm more disgruntled than I would have thought. I don't even feel that disgruntled - though I do like to mess with people. One of our sales girls has the unfortunate task of updating a customer's 'issues list' which has all issues for a certain system. When we fix one of the issues, they want exactly what we did written on it. Which wouldn't be a problem, except they just gave this to us a few months ago and it has issues on it from years ago, which have been fixed, which we hardly remember. So we had a new issue come up (they wanted a hole .030" smaller) and when I was done making the simple change, I sent the salesgirl a 5-6 paragraph email detailing exactly what was done, what it will effect, etc... going so far as to estimate the expected gravitational influence from the additional .030" of plastic on the part. She was not amused. I certainly was, though.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 21, 2010

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
Simple networking and programming concepts fly far above the head of my main coworker. Daily I feel like responding with 'magic' when she asks one of her inane questions that readily demonstrate she has no idea how things work. She knows how to do her job, as long as nothing goes wrong (and things go wrong given what the job is), but she has no understanding of why or how things work beyind 'press this button and this screen comes up'.

I had to explain something as simple as how to map a network drive and what a network drive actually is, which I'm still not sure if she gets. The idea that virtual drives and network drives are two different things is totally lost on her.

She asks me questions about testing process tasks that she trained me on a year ago. Repeatedly.

... We're software testers.

... ... She's been here 2 years longer than I have.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Michael Kelso posted:

I've been "teamed" to death. There's a "team" for every god damned thing in my company. The whole organization that I live and breathe in (the IT branch of the corp) has been so ridiculously compartmentalized that it feels like nobody has any authority to do anything anymore. On top of that, they're dissolved and reformed without reason or notice so if you try to get something done that you haven't in a while, there's a smug email about how you need to be filling out such-and-such form you've never heard of and contacting such-and-such team you've never heard of.

A lot of my complaints are probably somewhat at fault of the fact that I'm a remote IT admin in a company with a HUGE main office where all of the IT authority resides. I'm pretty sick of being treated like I'm a dick for not following a policy because I was never told.

This is my work life summed up in two nice little paragraphs. I work in a branch office for a company that is barely over 100 employees total. The home office is halfway across the state and if there are policy or procedural changes it is never communicated to the branch offices. This 100 or so person company has the bureaucracy of IBM or Microsoft, I'm sure of it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

SheepNameKiller posted:

I read the wikipedia article and it seems like it was a legitimately popular phrase 80 years ago, it still doesn't explain why the hell it's being used in 2010 in IT firms. Nuts aren't exactly the prototypical American dessert anymore.

That's what i was thinking. Lets replace 'soup to nuts' with 'soup to jello' or even 'salad to jello'.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Guess I should also mention this super secret formula for how a company saves its shareholders money:

1.) Open software development office in India
2.) Get rid of the majority of existing people with 10+ years of industry experience
3.) Hire hundreds of people in India with no relevant experience
4.) Hire many of the laid-off people back as contractors for 3x their previous salary to go to India and train people
5.) Have non-Indian staff work extreme hours fixing problems from code coming out of Indian office due to the inexperience of the staff working there.
6.) After one year watch 90% of all trained Indian workers leave for the company next door.
7.) Goto 3.

Currently my company has finally figured out that after 7 years of trying, maybe moving most of the development to India wasn't a great idea.

We're currently moving it to Poland and Brazil right now. I'm sure that will be better.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I work for a major internet company doing some engineering work on bugs that get created by our "Tier 3 support" group. Now, by some magic of the all mighty org, I report to the same manager as the Tier 3 folks. So, my small team of engineers gets abused to gently caress by these employees because they're all like "OH HAY, I'LL ASK AN ENGINEER!" I can deal with this, however, my manager I cannot. I had a conversation with my manager that went something like this:

:downs: Hi Winkle-Daddy, can you please come to the conference room so we can discuss your bonus plan?
:bang: Yes, I will take myself away from my current project that I'm working on now so I can listen to some wacky bonus structure you've come up with this week.
:downs: So, the rest of my team's bonus is mostly based on how many escalations they work through and the customer satisfaction surveys they get back. You don't talk to customers, so you don't get surveys, and you don't have a constant stream of tickets, so that wont work either. You also work on other various projects that involve rewriting some of our code base. I've decided that your bonus should be based on how well you help the rest of the team meet their goals.
:bang: So...you are going to hold my large quarterly bonus hostage at the hands of other people on the team?
:downs: Well, if we're going to have you on this team, we need to make sure you're helping people.
:bang: And how will you determine how much I help them?
:downs: Based on their stats improving.
:bang: Okay, so...it is the job of the Manager to hold each individual on his or her team accountable to their individual goals. If the manager is good, and the team meets those goals, then the manager gets a good bonus. I am not a manager and I need individual goals that I have 100% control over. That's kind of the difference between being an employee like me, and a manager like you.
:downs: Oh! I see what you're saying and that makes perfect sense. I don't know how I thought my way was fair. So, you need goals specific to you.
:bang: Yes, do you have any ideas around that?
:downs: Sure, your individual goal is to improve the team's stats!

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I wish I was joking. My job is mostly awesome, but sometimes I just want to :smithicide:

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Amnistar posted:

Getting passed over for 'promotions' (which are really just extra responsibilities with no pay) based entirely on seniority.

You think that's bad, try actually getting one of those "promotions". A year ago I had a reasonable workload, did a good job and felt (relatively) respected and appreciated. Now I'm half-rear end in charge of a new unit (all the responsibility with no authority to back it up), neck-deep in poo poo and everyone hates me. What have I received in return? Well, I got a cube by a window now. Of course I have no way of opening or closing the curtains without climbing up on my desk and yanking on them which is strictly prohibited by our safety coordinator, but hey, it's still a window.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Ballsworthy posted:

You think that's bad, try actually getting one of those "promotions". A year ago I had a reasonable workload, did a good job and felt (relatively) respected and appreciated. Now I'm half-rear end in charge of a new unit (all the responsibility with no authority to back it up), neck-deep in poo poo and everyone hates me. What have I received in return? Well, I got a cube by a window now. Of course I have no way of opening or closing the curtains without climbing up on my desk and yanking on them which is strictly prohibited by our safety coordinator, but hey, it's still a window.

I'd agree with you, but each of these promotions has 1 spectacularly amazing perk.

You don't have to answer calls anymore.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

InternetJunky posted:

Guess I should also mention this super secret formula for how a company saves its shareholders money:

1.) Open software development office in India
2.) Get rid of the majority of existing people with 10+ years of industry experience
3.) Hire hundreds of people in India with no relevant experience
4.) Hire many of the laid-off people back as contractors for 3x their previous salary to go to India and train people
5.) Have non-Indian staff work extreme hours fixing problems from code coming out of Indian office due to the inexperience of the staff working there.
6.) After one year watch 90% of all trained Indian workers leave for the company next door.
7.) Goto 3.

Currently my company has finally figured out that after 7 years of trying, maybe moving most of the development to India wasn't a great idea.

We're currently moving it to Poland and Brazil right now. I'm sure that will be better.

I once worked for a company that did that. What they never seem to get is the fact that in India, there is a 24/7 bidding war for wage people. Your entire office will go next door for a penny an hour raise, or some other perk.

ericdrawback
Nov 10, 2009
A small part of me dies every time I have to end an email with "Please advise"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Oh I almost forgot: the following tale is precisely why I hate some of the people I work with.

In September, I found a problem with a switch of ours. I wrote a change request, sourced a new part, etc... Sales would not sign off, because the new switches were $4 more per, and there was only the one supplier. So, it was put on hold. We would slightly rework the switches we had to make them work. The rework would be ghetto and there was a lot of room for error, but if done correctly, it might work. I filed it and moved on.

Last week, sales got a call from the customer about the switch. It was having the exact problem I had tried to fix. Sales wanted to know why we had not done anything.

Somehow, in December, our purchasing department had ordered 1,000 of the new, more expensive switches, for no reason at all. Still don't know why. Nothing would have prompted them to do so. We had them in stock, though.

So I put the original request through, and thought I was done.

But no, sales knew it was their fault it was not done sooner. They wanted me to cancel the original request and write a new one, with a newer date and number assigned to it. They didn't want to look bad. Suck to be them though, I had logged everything using the original number, and that is something that cannot be edited. So ultimately in stating to the customer was was done to resolve the problem, the sales department was intentionally vague and didn't reference any of our own documents.

The best part was when purchasing refused to sign it, insisting I call the sales guy, who was out of town (and who restarted the whole mess), to confirm. I had the phone in my hand, and I told my boss what I was going to do, and he wouldn't let me and told me to go ahead with it without confirming. Which put me right in the middle of stupid loving people politics.

:rolleyes:

I hate how irresponsible and immature 'the bosses' can be. And it makes me sick to think of how much more than me they make. Which is why I don't usually do them many favors.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 21, 2010

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
:cool: - "Respect the chain of command, Harry. Linda had a good reason to code it this way and you shouldn't have questioned her."

:cool: - "Harry you really need to correct Linda if you see her do something wrong. You know she's not very careful."

These were said to me in the same day.

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000
woohoo. I love the corporate world. I love being at the top of my "pay scale" so I haven't gotten a raise in 3 years. I love being on call 24/7 and getting paid $2.50/hr to come in on the weekends to fix poo poo for idiots. I love being pushed into Six Sigma project management so I can tack on another bullshit certificate to my resume.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Mister Fister posted:

That's what i was thinking. Lets replace 'soup to nuts' with 'soup to jello' or even 'salad to jello'.

I like 'salad to cake', or should it be 'salad to pie'?

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Amnistar posted:

I'd agree with you, but each of these promotions has 1 spectacularly amazing perk.

You don't have to answer calls anymore.

Ok yeah that is so worth it. gently caress the telephone.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Just had another conversation with a manager two levels above me...

:downs: Hey Winkle-Daddy, can you upgrade the server we host internal tools on?
:doh: Upgrade what, exactly? Is something not working?
:downs: Well, you said a few months ago that you're running FreeBSD and the newest servers are running RHEL5.
:doh: Yes, but not all of our internal packages that I'm using will work on RHEL yet.
:downs: Well, we should upgrade anyway, we don't want to fall behind.
:doh: We're not falling behind, this is the standard set up. If everything works, and all security updates are installed, we're okay.
:downs: So...are you going to upgrade or not?

Some time passes, and he comes by my desk

:downs: So, did you upgrade that server we were talking about?
:doh: No, I explained why we shouldn't right now.
:downs: We really need to, though.
:doh: Okay, I'll look into it and get back to you.

At this point, I realize he's just re-using things he's heard elsewhere and he has no idea how to even SSH into the server to check. I decide to just tell him I upgraded everything. He hasn't bothered me since.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sundae posted:

I am a scientist. When I am not stuck attending meetings where nothing useful happens, I abandon my cubicle, turn left and go through the decontamination room into my laboratory. I shut the door, put on headphones, and I do mad loving awesome poo poo.

This awesome poo poo is apparently completely unimportant, and needs to be interrupted about four times a day so that I can go to meetings, sit there for 1-2 hours per meeting, and spend about two minutes explaining that I have nothing new to show them because I've had to spend 4-6 hours per day in meetings for the last six months. Every hour I spend stuck with people wearing suits is an hour I'm not spending with people wearing lab-coats.

How the gently caress am I supposed to get anything done like that?

Oh gently caress, I feel for you buddy.

I work R&D in a building complex that also houses the corporate oompa loompas. Well, it's supposed to be R&D, but budget cuts make it more quality control than anything else nowadays :( Meetings that serve no actual purpose take up more than half of every day.

Bonus, once a fortnight I travel by plane halfway across Australia to participate in a two hour meeting that my department has absolutely no interest in. My idea to video conference the whole thing was rejected out of hand because the company likes the idea of people "pressing flesh together".

Ewww.

Also, I've coming to the conclusion that anyone with a degree in business is a sociopath, lacking any concept of human empathy, and a dick. Case in point was a recent OH&S refresher course. The lecturer tried to make things pertinent with examples relevant to our industry and gave us the following situation:

"In the shipping department a forklift hits a crate and there's a chemical spill. Workers complain of nausea and dizziness, but the agent hasn't been identified as actually harmful. What do you do?"

Naturally, I said to shut the whole place down, call ambulances for the affected workers and start isolation and decontamination proceedures.

Every single corporate whore argued against shutting down, saying they'd make everyone work until they knew for sure the chemical spill was toxic.

The same people who always go on about employee loyalty are the first ones happy to throw them under a bus at the first opportunity.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite thing in the entire world is when I get an e-mail reminding me to send a reminder e-mail to someone else. Hey, guess what, in the time it took you to remind me to remind them you could have reminded them yourself!

Also, I'm a big fan of emails that start out "Reminder - As you know,"
If I know already, and you KNOW I know, WHY ARE YOU REMINDING ME :supaburn:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I don't really understand people who work in an office and yet still enjoy Dilbert or watch shows like The Office. Once I started working in an office, Dilbert stopped being funny and just started being true and making me think "oh my god, it's all terrible."

One of the other managers in my area keeps packets of crisps and chocolate bars at his desk. He's 40something, single and sleazy as hell. The only reason he keeps his desk stocked with snacks is so that if one of the younger women in the office is staying late, he can cruise over to her desk and offer her something to eat "since it's so late" while flirting really awkwardly. Generally he does this literally minutes after the normal finishing time of 5pm, and sometimes they visibly flinch.

Oh, and I also once got a pay raise of about £12 per annum because there "wasn't enough in the budget but we'd feel bad if we didn't give you something..." Gee, a pound extra a month before tax? THANKS!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Threads like this absolutely scare the poo poo out of me when I hear libertarian types rambling about how everything should be privatized and run by huge corporations because unlike the evil bloated government, the private sector is amazing! Every time I've seen some government service privatized it always ends up costing more, for less, and even more corruption/incompetence. Have none of these corporate-savior obsessed types ever worked for a large corporation?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

"In the shipping department a forklift hits a crate and there's a chemical spill. Workers complain of nausea and dizziness, but the agent hasn't been identified as actually harmful. What do you do?"

Naturally, I said to shut the whole place down, call ambulances for the affected workers and start isolation and decontamination proceedures.

Every single corporate whore argued against shutting down, saying they'd make everyone work until they knew for sure the chemical spill was toxic.

Funny that you mention this. One of the cost-cutting measures here last year was the elimination of all first aid kits in the laboratories and in their associated buildings.

That's right. To try to cut costs... they removed the only things we have for quick and easy injury maintenance in the laboratories. I work with fairly heavy machinery by lab standards, and it would be possible to lose a hand in an equipment malfunction. They have removed the tourniquets to save... oh... $5.00? That's apparently how much an employee's life is worth, given my building is cut off from road access, preventing any emergency services from getting here either.

Apparently this is legal, too. All they have to do is supply eye washes and an overhead shower. I was surprised when I looked that up.

quote:

The same people who always go on about employee loyalty are the first ones happy to throw them under a bus at the first opportunity.

This can sum up everything in corporate life, I've found. :(

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 21, 2010

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Threads like this absolutely scare the poo poo out of me when I hear libertarian types rambling about how everything should be privatized and run by huge corporations because unlike the evil bloated government, the private sector is amazing! Every time I've seen some government service privatized it always ends up costing more, for less, and even more corruption/incompetence. Have none of these corporate-savior obsessed types ever worked for a large corporation?
Of course not, they're all HARD WORKIN' REAL 'MERICANS :911: NEVER FORGET OORAH :patriot:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Baronjutter posted:

Libertarian goons are basically neckbeards who work at radio shack and dream of becoming captains of industry one day. The oppressed will be the oppressor one day! :argh:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Sundae posted:

Funny that you mention this. One of the cost-cutting measures here last year was the elimination of all first aid kits in the laboratories and in their associated buildings.

That's right. To try to cut costs... they removed the only things we have for quick and easy injury maintenance in the laboratories. I work with fairly heavy machinery by lab standards, and it would be possible to lose a hand in an equipment malfunction. They have removed the tourniquets to save... oh... $5.00? That's apparently how much an employee's life is worth, given my building is cut off from road access, preventing any emergency services from getting here either.

Apparently this is legal, too. All they have to do is supply eye washes and an overhead shower. I was surprised when I looked that up.
Are you in the US? Cause there's got to be some sort of OSHA regulation against that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yes USA. Nope, entirely legal. OSHA was even notified by one of my lab co-workers, and the response was that the only obligations are to provide safety glasses, appropriate protective gloves (nitrile), and eye-washes / safety showers.

Edited for more info.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

GiveMeABreak posted:

The anorexic chicks who sit in operations without enough body mass to generate heat have access to the only thermostat in the office. The rest of us sweat with the heater on an 80 degree day because they can't be bothered to bring a drat jacket. Whine whine whine!

This, oh god, this. It's bad enough that you've turned off the AC in the middle of summer, but tack on the heat generated by the electronics throughout the office, and it's god drat ridiculous. If I hear you complain one more time that you're still cold in this 75 degree plus office in the middle of July, I might have to punch you in the face. Meanwhile, these same people are cold in winter even with the thermostat set to some absurdly warm temperature. Seeing a pattern? Bring a loving sweater. I cannot focus on my work when it's this goddamn hot and I sure as poo poo can't take my clothes off to cool off.

Also, I get that we have a large number of computer illiterate people working throughout the offices, but Mr. IT Supervisor, do you really have to send us three emails a day about silly poo poo like "remember to turn off your computer to save energy!" Don't you have better things to do? (I don't have access to my emails right this second to give a better example, but anyone who has an IT department knows precisely the emails I mean).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The women are always freezing no matter what. This is a big downtown office building, so the temperature in here is always constant year round. Because of this, I wear a short sleeve polo shirt every day, even in winter. The women ask me how do I manage? I say "I have a coat for when I go outside."

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Auracounts posted:

Also, I get that we have a large number of computer illiterate people working throughout the offices, but Mr. IT Supervisor, do you really have to send us three emails a day about silly poo poo like "remember to turn off your computer to save energy!" Don't you have better things to do? (I don't have access to my emails right this second to give a better example, but anyone who has an IT department knows precisely the emails I mean).

Yea...probably not his idea. Probably him going "If I don't do this, X will happen, then it looks bad on me and I get yelled at...because they're stupid." It's just CYA for the IT department when corporate comes in and says, "Why are costs so high, dn't you tell your employees to turn of computers?" and the IT people can say, "Yes. Now go yell at them."

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

FogHelmut posted:

This short cartoon sums up my life

http://www.businessinsider.com/cartoon-a-day-in-the-life-of-an-analyst-2010-4

Basically I get tasks dumped onto me that my managers (yes, plural, I have 3) don't want to do themselves, and they can't really describe to me what it is that they want me to do. I think I've finally figured out that it doesn't matter what I do as long as some bullshit is there, as incomplete or irrelevant it may be.

I have no other word to describe the video in this link outside of "Amazing". It seriously brought tears to my eyes knowing that others out there deal with the same shitstorm I have at work. Thank you for making my day a little brighter :)

Will contribute some personal experiences to the thread when I am done with my soul-sucking tasks. I am enjoying this therapeutic thread! Thanks for the laughs.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

The women are always freezing no matter what. This is a big downtown office building, so the temperature in here is always constant year round. Because of this, I wear a short sleeve polo shirt every day, even in winter. The women ask me how do I manage? I say "I have a coat for when I go outside."

At a previous job, one team was always too warm, the other was always too cold (because the vents for the a/c were oddly spaced in the office). This led to constant wars over the thermostat, and repeated calls to our maintenance department. Eventually, to stop us adjusting the thermostat every two minutes and loving up their attempts to fix the supposed problems, maintenance just put a lock on the thermostat so no one could open it up to adjust it without the key.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Amnistar posted:

Yea...probably not his idea. Probably him going "If I don't do this, X will happen, then it looks bad on me and I get yelled at...because they're stupid." It's just CYA for the IT department when corporate comes in and says, "Why are costs so high, dn't you tell your employees to turn of computers?" and the IT people can say, "Yes. Now go yell at them."

Yea, you're probably right on that specific example. I wish I had my email in front of me this moment though because some of the mass emails he sends (to like 300 plus people) are such a ridiculous waste of time, it makes me wonder what he's even being paid to do (there's a department of them, and from what I've seen, the others are the ones who go computer to computer assisting with end user problems, setup of machinery, and user errors).

Edit: I do sympathize with IT, however, over some of the "user error" problems they have to deal with. Like, the fact that a bunch of professionals need to be told that the mass email they got from Nigeria asking for Western Union money in exchange for 1 bajillion dollars is a scam? The emails directing us to ignore them always make me chuckle, because how do people still not know this?!

Auracounts fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 21, 2010

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I have two direct supervisors, a manager and 2 data flow administrators who feed me my responsibilities. None of them understand my job description.

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
I asked to be let go. They wouldn't do it. I then spent about 8 months coming to work and doing almost no work. I'd work maybe 5 hours during 30 hours of face time. The last 2.5 months I tuned it down to 0 hours of work during 25 hours of face time.

Then they finally let me go. I was paid mid 6 figures for this.

edit: this is in finance where most people do at least 55 hours a week.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Auracounts posted:

Edit: I do sympathize with IT, however, over some of the "user error" problems they have to deal with. Like, the fact that a bunch of professionals need to be told that the mass email they got from Nigeria asking for Western Union money in exchange for 1 bajillion dollars is a scam? The emails directing us to ignore them always make me chuckle, because how do people still not know this?!

Yea...the number of times we get a call about how this email "looked legit" and they clicked on it and now it's not working and "could they be related" make me cringe.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Amnistar posted:

Yea...the number of times we get a call about how this email "looked legit" and they clicked on it and now it's not working and "could they be related" make me cringe.

Haha. I actually know of a company around here that got boned out of a SUBSTANTIAL amount of money because one of its older execs fell for one of those emails. I don't want to give out too many details, but yea....I can just picture their entire IT department facepalming over that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
God, I remember being on a conference call with a vendor about a payment system fuckup a few years back. This guy was a total douche and he must have used the phrase "soup to nuts" literally at least 50 times during the conversation. I so wanted to punch him in the face by the time it was over.

Now, anytime I hear this phrase uttered by someone I pretty much don't bother dealing with them any further. I don't know what it is, but it seems like only shithead people say it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I haven't heard "soup to nuts" in 20 years up until reading this threqd. Even that was in the context of a hardware store ad jingle saying they had everything "from scoop to nuts" (get it? clever). I pity those who have to hear this antiquated figure of speech daily.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Winkle-Daddy posted:

:bang: Okay, so...it is the job of the Manager to hold each individual on his or her team accountable to their individual goals. If the manager is good, and the team meets those goals, then the manager gets a good bonus. I am not a manager and I need individual goals that I have 100% control over. That's kind of the difference between being an employee like me, and a manager like you.
:downs: Oh! I see what you're saying and that makes perfect sense. I don't know how I thought my way was fair. So, you need goals specific to you.
:bang: Yes, do you have any ideas around that?
:downs: Sure, your individual goal is to improve the team's stats!

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I wish I was joking. My job is mostly awesome, but sometimes I just want to :smithicide:

This is when you ask him when your promotion to management goes into effect and how much of a raise that involves. I mean, if he wants your goals to be management ones, then now you're management, right?

I wouldn't last a week in corporate. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

My company has come up with the excellent idea to make everyone salesmen.

So, as an engineer, I have to watch hour long training videos explaining to me how to be one of those annoying people I hate that try to sell things.

On top of that, they have an external company that calls every employee and quizzes them on the sales material while role playing as a customer.

Now here's the even better part...When you refer a customer, you are eligible for these reward point things where you can get money or products. Hey, that's cool! I can win stuff!

Nope. I am not eligible since I work for a division of the company that was acquired years ago.

However, I am still expected to take the training and the calls even though they offer none of the products in my part of the country and even if they did I wouldn't get any incentive for selling anything.

/rant