Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I’m just saying, maybe we could table this in the parking lot and circle back around on it before we all hop the horse. Quick decisions sink ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tnuctip posted:

Boss’ counter was akin to telling me he’ll make me head of scissor engineering for the chain of barber shops, in the future. But right now it’s a non-franchised sports clips where the head barber (founder) won’t even let me sweep up hair. And my job has been to document the awesome hairstyling abilities of the founder, whom has it all in his head and is not a people person.

This is always hilarious to me because there's a parade of people in this, and other employment-related threads on these forums, who have been promised a future raise or promotion or conversion from contract to salaried and it has never materialized, sometimes after multiple years. These promises are worth nothing. Even if they're in writing they can just lay you off before the trigger conditions happen.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

GODDAMMIT ERIC QUOTE IS NOT loving EDIT

Sounds like a personal failure you can talk about on your next interview

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

Is this some new way of mentally challenged gen Z interviewing that I'm unaware of? Or is it to filter out people who have a backbone? I don't get it.
It's the STAR interview method; it's terrible and becoming very common. Google has a million resources on typical questions so that you can prepare with a bunch of inane stories in response to such questions as "How do you handle collaborative workstreams?", "Tell me about a time when you made the wrong decision.", and "Tell me about the last time your workday ended before you were able to get everything done.".

It's equally as terrible being an interviewer, because you get candidates asking questions like "If I was hired, where would you see me in 5 years?", and "How do you measure success?".

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

TheLastManStanding posted:

It's equally as terrible being an interviewer, because you get candidates asking questions like "If I was hired, where would you see me in 5 years?", and "How do you measure success?".

1) I won't see you because I'll be loving gone.
2) I measure my success by still having my login credentials the next morning.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheLastManStanding posted:

"How do you measure success?"
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's the fundamental human misunderstanding about counter-offers: Your hindbrain, hardwired by evolution to instinctively feel that change = danger, believes that jumping is the risky move and staying is the safe move, and that's exactly wrong.

Accept a counter-offer if you absolutely must, but do so in full comprehension that staying is the risky move, jumping is the safe move.

Ha, I need to be more clear. Yes, moving is definitely the safer option, that was the intended message.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

This might not make sense since I'm trying not to give too many details, but I our company is downsizing the amount of work and thus had to layoff a handful of now-redundant jobs. (Which, don't get me wrong, sucks.)

Today I had two of the people in these roles who are not being laid off act pissy and downright unprofessional with key clients. One was in front of my boss and she was shaking mad. "If he was on my team, he'd be fired for that. That's how bad it was."

So now I have to scramble to run damage control with the clients.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Midjack posted:

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

??? Are you implying that your enemies are all straight males or else lesbians? That type of vitriol has no place at our company.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tnuctip posted:

Turned in my notice with my current “startup”, felt real sad because my boss asked right when I walked in if I was resigning, to which I said yea of course. Told him I was offered a lot more money, and he said I’m loving him. Asked a little while to put a counter together. And not to sweat the cockblocking founder president that torpedoed a promotion for a (smart and good) colleague a couple months ago.

Just so the thread can remind me, it’s bad to take a counter offer 99% of the time, right? And cockblocker won’t be going anywhere, just a continual dismantling of his power which I’m sure he’s thrilled with, and thrilled with me for actively working towards that goal.

Why do I feel bad, quitting was supposed to feel good :sigh:

1) Look at the bolded part
2) Don't take the counter offer

The fact he's trying to make you feel guilty says all you need to know about the kind of person/boss he is. Just like the old saying goes: employees don't quit bad companies, they quit bad managers.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BOOTY-ADE posted:

The fact he's trying to make you feel guilty says all you need to know about the kind of person/boss he is. Just like the old saying goes: employees don't quit bad companies, they quit bad managers.

All of this.

Also Tnuctip, you feel bad because you are a human being with empathy and you've mistaken your boss for a fellow human being.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

GODDAMMIT ERIC QUOTE IS NOT loving EDIT

At least you now have an answer to "describe a personal failure" in future interviews

efb

CancerCakes posted:

Sounds like a personal failure you can talk about on your next interview

And now so do I!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dango Bango posted:

This might not make sense since I'm trying not to give too many details, but I our company is downsizing the amount of work and thus had to layoff a handful of now-redundant jobs. (Which, don't get me wrong, sucks.)

Today I had two of the people in these roles who are not being laid off act pissy and downright unprofessional with key clients. One was in front of my boss and she was shaking mad. "If he was on my team, he'd be fired for that. That's how bad it was."

So now I have to scramble to run damage control with the clients.

Why did they put them in front of clients after finding out they were laid off? That laid off folks weren't the ones being unprofessional there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lockback posted:

Why did they put them in front of clients after finding out they were laid off? That laid off folks weren't the ones being unprofessional there.

Dango said it was people who WERENT being laid off that had the attitude. And I get why they're pissed off as presumably their workload just went through the roof.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Why is morale so low everyone should be happy that they survived The Great Layoff of 2024.

Let's buy them some pizza.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Dango said it was people who WERENT being laid off that had the attitude. And I get why they're pissed off as presumably their workload just went through the roof.

Correct. The guy in front of the clients today is sticking around and his entire team is as well. His workload won't increase - the handful of people were let go because there wasn't enough work going forward to support keeping them on. It wasn't a downsizing strictly for costs.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Oh well then that guy just screwed himself I guess

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm tired and cranky and haven't slept properly in weeks.

Yesterday somebody @ed me in an e-mail chain for something that doesn't have anything to do with me, with no clear ask and an otherwise empty body. Today they're giving me an attitude for not providing an update, but still haven't actually clarified what they want.

I'm gonna have fun with this. Congratulations motherfucker I've found a way to get my aggression out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
If you guessed "continue to ignore it until after their deadline has passed' you're correct.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Renegret posted:

I'm tired and cranky and haven't slept properly in weeks.

Yesterday somebody @ed me in an e-mail chain for something that doesn't have anything to do with me, with no clear ask and an otherwise empty body. Today they're giving me an attitude for not providing an update, but still haven't actually clarified what they want.

I'm gonna have fun with this. Congratulations motherfucker I've found a way to get my aggression out.

I have been advised that you require advice but I need further advice on the advice of which you wish to be advised. Please advise.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Aaaand layoffs incoming. Surprise meeting just showed up on my calendar for an hour from now but only managers are in the invite. But not all managers just the majority. Yay calendar stalking looking for private busy blocks at the same time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I just quit a bad company with a great manager.

I suspect he'll quit soon too TBH.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fil5000 posted:

Oh I missed that. Well yeah thats also reaping what you sow to a degree..

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Arquinsiel posted:

I just quit a bad company with a great manager.

I suspect he'll quit soon too TBH.

Great managers can't prop up bad companies. So yeah, they'll quit, burnout, or get fired because they don't fit in.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Xguard86 posted:

Great managers can't prop up bad companies. So yeah, they'll quit, burnout, or get fired because they don't fit in.

Mhm. They don't have the authority or resources to make the company good, or it already would be.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Tnuctip posted:

Turned in my notice with my current “startup”, felt real sad because my boss asked right when I walked in if I was resigning, to which I said yea of course. Told him I was offered a lot more money, and he said I’m loving him. Asked a little while to put a counter together. And not to sweat the cockblocking founder president that torpedoed a promotion for a (smart and good) colleague a couple months ago.

Just so the thread can remind me, it’s bad to take a counter offer 99% of the time, right? And cockblocker won’t be going anywhere, just a continual dismantling of his power which I’m sure he’s thrilled with, and thrilled with me for actively working towards that goal.

Why do I feel bad, quitting was supposed to feel good :sigh:

Its telling your referring to this VP as cockblocker and your manager is complaining your loving him. This sounds like the sort of toxic environment where staying will gently caress you.

1) They could have fixed the problems sooner to keep you and found kore money without you leaving.

2) You will be viewed with suspicion and never receive promotions or raises again.

3) Place your now changing your response to no will blackball you eternally.

Worst career choice I made was a counter offer, it pissed off my employer and a prospective employer I would not recommend taking one here especially given how they responded.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Shrieking Muppet posted:

3) Place your now changing your response to no will blackball you eternally.

Not necessarily true in quite that extreme, but... pissing off a company that demonstrated more interest in you than the one you're staying at is a Very Bad Thing, and a huge consideration in favor of not taking a counter.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
New CEO since January has now decided to shake up the corporate reporting structure so they had an all hands meeting at t-3 hours from my normal start time to roll this out.

The only change for us here in the boondocks is that my great-great-grandboss in NYC now reports to a new person.

They are super hyped to announce that the new person has just a ton of experience in ‘growing brands’ and I’m sure that’s awesome for them but I’m a little pessimistic they’re going to fix the little things like the trash is piled on the dock and spilling into the building because the trash doesn’t get picked up because AP keeps not paying waste management.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Layoffs happening, some managers in my org had their directs laid off and are now staff ICS. Me and my team unaffected and I'm even getting a contract position converted to fte. Full org announcement happening soon

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lots of layoffs this week at my company as well. Seems to be manufacturing and some weird bits like publications and market access most affected. A few people in clinical have had their jobs offshored to India which is a bad development.

I was looking for an article I found a while ago that analysed what causes CEOs to initiate layoffs, their finding was that the biggest factor was other CEOs doing layoffs. Probably a good thing I can't track it down. I did leave some mildly spicy comments in last week's employee survey in anticipation of something stupid happening.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Eh our layoffs are due to our CV study results and having to update and retest. Not surprising. More surprised my team escaped unscathed. It pays to directly support the main company product.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

Lots of layoffs this week at my company as well. Seems to be manufacturing and some weird bits like publications and market access most affected. A few people in clinical have had their jobs offshored to India which is a bad development.

I was looking for an article I found a while ago that analysed what causes CEOs to initiate layoffs, their finding was that the biggest factor was other CEOs doing layoffs. Probably a good thing I can't track it down. I did leave some mildly spicy comments in last week's employee survey in anticipation of something stupid happening.

Presumably second biggest factor was "consultants told us to"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
CEOs are more governed by peer pressure than any other group, bunch of weird little freaks

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fil5000 posted:

Presumably second biggest factor was "consultants told us to"

Google and Facebook are doing it therefore,

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

priznat posted:

CEOs are more governed by peer pressure than any other group, bunch of weird little freaks

Clearly we need to raise their compensation so they can afford therapy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm thinking about opening my e-mails with a mad-libs style arrangement.

I hope this e-mail finds you well. I hope this e-mail finds you carbon-based. I hope this e-mail finds you eventually, alive and safe. I hope this e-mail finds your missing TV remote. I hope this e-mail finds you screaming and covered in bees.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hrm... Not really sure how I feel about Zoom's big visual refresh.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

priznat posted:

Can't get pushed out of your cushy figurehead job if you just follow the "thought leadership" of the majority of the other people in your position

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
In this specific case (every company in an industry doing layoffs at about the same time) it serves a purpose beyond merely hivemind twitching: flooding the labor market with supply keeps labor costs down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

In this specific case (every company in an industry doing layoffs at about the same time) it serves a purpose beyond merely hivemind twitching: flooding the labor market with supply keeps labor costs down.

I'm not sure companies care that much about flooding the market for the benefit of other companies (these guys always slam betray in the prisoner dilemma), but I do think there is way less pressure to keep high man power due to FOMO so it's a lot easier to slim down. So similar idea.