Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Awkward Davies posted:

100 miles without accounting for traffic also.

My first job in LA was 11 mi from my apartment and could take 45m-1 hr to get home from when traffic was bad (which was always).

Yeah the only thing that makes my 40 mile commute manageable is that it's only 2 days a week I start at 5 in the morning. So for as much as it sucks to get up that early, I have a straight unimpeded shot to work, about 45 minutes.

My trip home on the other hand, ohhhhhhh boy. If I have to pick the kids up from daycare then I'm looking at about 2 hours. Otherwise it's about an hour and a half at best, but often longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sometimes I take the bike

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Vasudus posted:

I don't commute anymore.

When I first started I would metro for at least an hour each way (bus down the street to the metro, then the metro from VA into MD) that sometimes turned into two hours based on whatever disaster was happening with metro at the time. Five days a week for four years.

Then I changed contracts to another location and my commute cut down to 30 minutes, but still required a bus and a metro connection and was still five days a week. Did that for a year.

Changed contracts/client again and bought a house - commute cut down to a single 10 minute bus ride, but again five days a week on-site (or more like 1-2 days a month remote maybe).

Pandemic happened and nobody was allowed on-site period. We managed to make it work, and the spell was broken. If people want me they can get me for MAYBE a single day a week, probably for a half day, and only if it's something that absolutely needs to be held in-person like a whiteboarding session or anything involving classified content.

I've reached a level of seniority in my field that I have the luxury of outright refusing to commute and being able to demand people bend their schedules to accommodate my travel restrictions. It's pretty nice, you just have to be in complete agony for a decade to get the juice.

My first gig was a 25 mile commute each way at full highway speed. It was not really a big deal but I decided early that that amount of time was about the max I was willing to do barring desperation, and from that point made "short commute" a high priority item in my job searches. My next two jobs were both walking commutes, meaning I paid the price in significantly higher rent.

I could have lived in one of the surrounding cities and taken the light rail in, a lot of people do that and our public transit system up here is one of the more functional ones, but man I have no regrets about how I prioritized. Walking to work, especially in view of the highway that's just jammed up like a parking lot every morning, is so nice. At this point a company would have to make my eyes pop out of my head with their offer if they wanted me to significantly compromise that standard.

knox_harrington posted:

I have a 70km commute each way, opposite direction to the traffic, I sit in my nice car and listen to a podcast for 40 minutes. The Swiss suck at driving but even dealing with the incompetence is no big deal.

Honestly less stress than commuting the same duration by public transport in London.

Yeah this is very similar to my first gig. To me there's a world of difference between the same amount of time in rush hour traffic and out of it; I feel like I could do this amount of time against traffic, but the same time with it would make me blow a gasket.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Maybe I’m biased living in the Boston area, but the amount of stress and psychological damage incurred by requiring a commute probably shaves a year or two off of your employees’ lifespans, before even considering the more tangible risks.

In Boston the effect is doubled I think, Its had me start looking for remote or hybrid jobs on the latest job hunt.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I used to drive from Boston out in to the suburbs, which was a reverse commute but still not ideal, especially coming back in to town in the evening. Now I have a great commute that is a 1 mile walk.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

knox_harrington posted:

I have a 70km commute each way, opposite direction to the traffic, I sit in my nice car and listen to a podcast for 40 minutes. The Swiss suck at driving but even dealing with the incompetence is no big deal.

Honestly less stress than commuting the same duration by public transport in London.
40 minutes on public transport in London is great because if you miss your train or bus then another one shows up in 1-5 minutes and you're fine. The same commute in Dublin would regularly turn into an hour, or an hour and a half if you're unlucky. The crowding on it at the moment though is... less than ideal.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This is an actual real LinkedIn post that I found on Reddit with the name unredacted:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is an actual real LinkedIn post that I found on Reddit with the name unredacted:

Something something vendor lock-in

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

Blubbery 2 Buxom sales

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Corporate Megathread: I think you should leave

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS
I like the commuting competition.
I have to commute 15000km, but I guess it's not so bad as it's covered by the company and I get to spend a week watching movies each way.
Turns out Antarctica is a long way away.

If I had to do it everyday I probably wouldn't get much work done.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

freddiestarfish posted:

I like the commuting competition.
I have to commute 15000km, but I guess it's not so bad as it's covered by the company and I get to spend a week watching movies each way.
Turns out Antarctica is a long way away.

If I had to do it everyday I probably wouldn't get much work done.

Is this a real post? Going to Antarctica to work is on my bucket list. Do you have any writeups of how you did it and what advice you would give to someone else wanting to go? Like what are the career paths?

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS

Mantle posted:

Is this a real post? Going to Antarctica to work is on my bucket list. Do you have any writeups of how you did it and what advice you would give to someone else wanting to go? Like what are the career paths?

I'm on a fishing boat, so grab a rod and hope you don't get seasick.

E. More seriously, if you're not into boat or mechanical stuff then I won't be much help.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The Air Force had an Antarctica ribbon but the only way to get it was to be in the NY air guard and get on the plane that went there periodically

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Discendo Vox posted:

Corporate Megathread: I think you should leave

Mods???

And yes I did, boss and I had a good chat and hugged it out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tnuctip posted:

Mods???

And yes I did, boss and I had a good chat and hugged it out.

If the crypto day trader hugged you, check your pockets. And make sure he hasn't installed a miner on your phone.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Mantle posted:

A coworker of mine did a stent in Antarctica as an instrumentation engineer. The last flight out got canceled due to weather and he had to spend the winter there. When he got back he found his wife had taken everything from their apartment and left and also that he couldn't sleep because even the smallest noise bothered him now. Also says he loved the trip.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm doing my annual compliance trainings.

All new this year is the old required audio bits are now videos, where they have an actor awkwardly stand there and poorly lipsync the words.

Not only do the voices not even remotely match the actors, they're using different actors for the same voice between modules lmao

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I just took a security training that was a 20 minute fully produced story of a hacking attempt from the perspective of the hackers and our company's internal security staff shot like an ersatz episode of NCIS. Someone burnt a ton of money and on what could have been conveyed in a 4-slide deck. It was kinda surreal.

And ended with "the next episode of what happens after the hack will be out soon".

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
re: Antarctica -- here's a blog of a computer janitor who was deployed there for more than a year:

https://brr.fyi/

Fairly informative and entertaining imo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Kevin Mitnick's biggest scam was getting people to pay him to lazily and hazily explain bog standard security attacks that are 20 years old in compliance videos.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Motronic posted:

I just took a security training that was a 20 minute fully produced story of a hacking attempt from the perspective of the hackers and our company's internal security staff shot like an ersatz episode of NCIS. Someone burnt a ton of money and on what could have been conveyed in a 4-slide deck. It was kinda surreal.

And ended with "the next episode of what happens after the hack will be out soon".

I kind of love the idea of this at least

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

this seems way better than normal security training at least

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

Kevin Mitnick's biggest scam was getting people to pay him to lazily and hazily explain bog standard security attacks that are 20 years old in compliance videos.

No more Free Kevin

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lockback posted:

TBH that pales in comparison to him getting a reputation as a hacker by just being good at screaming at people down the phone until they gave him what he wanted to make him stop calling.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Nah. Social engineering has always been the most effective way of gaining access to secure places and computer systems

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of the time that he was screaming at hackers to do it for him.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Renegret posted:

Not only do the voices not even remotely match the actors, they're using different actors for the same voice between modules lmao

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion: Training Video

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Training videos should be as cheap and poorly acted as possible.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The junk collector posted:

A coworker of mine did a stent in Antarctica as an instrumentation engineer. The last flight out got canceled due to weather and he had to spend the winter there. When he got back he found his wife had taken everything from their apartment and left and also that he couldn't sleep because even the smallest noise bothered him now. Also says he loved the trip.

That story was quite an emotional ride.

I’m also so sorry I can’t stop myself, but the word is stint which you may already know.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

That story was quite an emotional ride.

I’m also so sorry I can’t stop myself, but the word is stint which you may already know.

He could be moonlighting as a surgeon, you don’t know.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Awkward Davies posted:

He could be moonlighting as a surgeon, you don’t know.

:eng101: A surgeon in Antarctica once operated on himself! Leo Rogozov had an appendicitis and there was no one else so he cut it out himself. There are photos if you want to Google it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Motronic posted:

100% chance that whoever approved this looked at it more than the 4 slide deck, in both relative and absolute relation.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
First fun of the day: Coming in and being told I have to join a contingency planning meeting. Ends up, our manufacturing-area cleaning staff might be going on strike next week. They're part of the SEIU, who are voting on a strike. I ask the obvious question from my perspective: "We have a side-letter with the SEIU that they'll maintain our GMP (that's the regulated manufacturing stuff) cleaning staff operating even in a strike, because of the legal aspects. Why are they striking too?"

Answer was, of course: "The SEIU says they don't plan to honor that agreement. Count on your cleaners being gone starting next week. How many of your operators are trained on the cleaning process?" The answer is zero. It's why we pay a cleaning group; cleaning the labs takes about 90 man-hours per week.

So, that was fun. More power to them for striking (I'm never going to hold that against the workers), but I do kind of wonder what the point of an individual function agreement is if the signed agreement is worth approximately the same as toilet paper.

Next fun: I am assigned to a document revision team, and attended the first meeting for overhauling this document. The motherfuckers in charge assigned TWENTY PEOPLE to the team, from across the organization. I had my redlines done in like 3 minutes before the meeting, and we didn't even get through the two pages in the two-hour-long meeting with all the idiots taking every opportunity to babble into their microphones.

Just... gently caress. Goddamn.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sundae posted:

First fun of the day: Coming in and being told I have to join a contingency planning meeting. Ends up, our manufacturing-area cleaning staff might be going on strike next week. They're part of the SEIU, who are voting on a strike. I ask the obvious question from my perspective: "We have a side-letter with the SEIU that they'll maintain our GMP (that's the regulated manufacturing stuff) cleaning staff operating even in a strike, because of the legal aspects. Why are they striking too?"

Answer was, of course: "The SEIU says they don't plan to honor that agreement. Count on your cleaners being gone starting next week. How many of your operators are trained on the cleaning process?" The answer is zero. It's why we pay a cleaning group; cleaning the labs takes about 90 man-hours per week.

So, that was fun. More power to them for striking (I'm never going to hold that against the workers), but I do kind of wonder what the point of an individual function agreement is if the signed agreement is worth approximately the same as toilet paper.

My uneducated guess is that the side letter is predicated on some additional conditions that aren't being met, and so now management gets to have a shocked Pikachu face moment.

quote:

Next fun: I am assigned to a document revision team, and attended the first meeting for overhauling this document. The motherfuckers in charge assigned TWENTY PEOPLE to the team, from across the organization. I had my redlines done in like 3 minutes before the meeting, and we didn't even get through the two pages in the two-hour-long meeting with all the idiots taking every opportunity to babble into their microphones.

Just... gently caress. Goddamn.

:rip:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Volmarias posted:

My uneducated guess is that the side letter is predicated on some additional conditions that aren't being met, and so now management gets to have a shocked Pikachu face moment.

Yeah that's probably accurate. I'm curious to find out what we didn't do (or what their contract-firm managers didn't do). Always a chance that we're hosed-once-removed and it's actually a dispute with their primary employer.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Sundae posted:

Yeah that's probably accurate. I'm curious to find out what we didn't do (or what their contract-firm managers didn't do). Always a chance that we're hosed-once-removed and it's actually a dispute with their primary employer.

I prefer "grandfucked" for stuff like this.
It expresses the likely situation better.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I'm interviewing today, can someone give me some interview questions that might actually give the candidate an opportunity to show their value, other than the poo poo ones I got from hr. Please?!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CancerCakes posted:

I'm interviewing today, can someone give me some interview questions that might actually give the candidate an opportunity to show their value, other than the poo poo ones I got from hr. Please?!

No.

Now tell me about a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Tell me about a time something went wrong and it was entirely your fault