Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

WarLocke posted:

I read so many posts where this happens.
Earthlink was notorious for amazing heights of douchebaggery. (and for being a Scientology front-company) By their standards, I actually got off easy.

Most of this occurred because they started outsourcing calls to India. At the time we were completely swamped with calls, and the higher-ups assured us that these overseas callcenters were only in addition to us, not in any way meant to replace us. Nobody was dumb enough to trust that statement, but what could we do either way? This led to several things.

When the India callcenter came online, we were to act as their helpdesk. This was in the support-by-chat department that I had worked hard to get into. (to get off the phones) What this means is that if one of the techs in India ran into a problem, we had to talk them through the entire fix as if we were doing it. But with a second person and some language barrier issues in-between. All while still taking our minimum 3 customer chats at the very same time. (and taking only 3 at once was frowned upon heavily)

These internal helpdesk support chats did not count for our call-taking stats, and were CONSTANT. You can guess what that did to our numbers, which in turn were used to explain to us how much better the India centers were performing compared to us. It was almost elegant in a way, like a ballet of corporate cruelty.

Here's the real gold-standard of fuckery though. The primo corporate poo poo. People from my callcenter were offered the chance to volunteer to go to India for a while (6 weeks I think) to train the new techs there in-person. In many ways it sounded like a good deal. A free trip to a far-away land, some of your living expenses paid while there, and possibly most importantly it was implied heavily that doing something this big and important was a fast-track to promotions. (or at least much better job security) "I went to India for the company" should sound good on a performance review after all.

The techs went to India, and all was well.
For about the first third of the trip.
Then they got their pink-slips.

They were informed that their jobs at home had been downsized while they were away. So while this groups still had jobs for the duration of this trip, the moment they touched down in the USA again, they were out on the street. There was nobody to talk to about this, HR and any managers they had previously were on the other side of the planet now. On top of that, it's sure not easy to hand out resumes and go to job interviews when you're stuck 8000 miles away from home.

-----

Earthlink also had the "Carnivore" incident.

Back around 2000, the FBI had a new and controversial toy called Carnivore. It wasn't an especially complicated system. It was an NT workstation with packet-sniffing software on it, intended to be plugged directly into the mainframe of an ISP or large network, entirely to give the FBI an easy way to spy on people. There were huge arguements over the legality and constitutionality of such a program at the time.

Earthlink took a stand. They told the FBI that Carnivore would not be allowed on their network, and that they would not help violate their customers' privacy. They even started basing all of their ad campaigns and corporate image around this concept of user privacy above all else. They positioned themselves as the shining white knight of the internet age.

Technically, they did tell the FBI that they wouldn't allow Carnivore... anymore.

The Carnivore system was installed quietly long before Earthlink took their stand. We techs were told about it, then shortly afterward it was made clear that this was an error, and we should not have been told anything. The instructions from then on were that if any customer asked us about monitoring or Carnivore specifically (it was in the news a lot at the time) that we were to tell them in no uncertain terms that no such system was in place. If we admitted that it was actually there, we would be fired on the spot. So our options were telling blatant lies or standing the unemployment line.

What most people might not know about Carnivore is that it was poo poo. Besides the issues with ethics, morality, legality, it also had the disadvantage of just being terrible software running on extremely inadequate hardware. The only effect I could observe directly was that when it was on, our mail servers went from clean-sailing to multi-hour delays. So we had a month or two of calls through the roof because this packet sniffer couldn't sniff fast enough. According to some friends working server-side it was also based on older protocols than we were using (I didn't get a lot of detail on that bit) which meant every server it touched started taking severe performance hits and crashing over and over.

So after a while, Earthlink did take a stand and tell the FBI to take a hike, but only because it was crippling their equipment and driving customers away in droves. (back to AOL, mostly) Since legally nobody was supposed to know about it in the first place, Earthlink could say they had never allowed the FBI in at all, and nobody was in a position to say otherwise. Earthlink got some great publicity out of it, telling everyone how they had stood up to the FBI even to protect their customers' sacred privacy, and it was all based on bald-faced lies.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Evil baby bunnies cannot be fed solid food until after the first week.
Here's a story from my fiancee.

She works at a transit manufacturing office, handling quotes and what not. Often she has to find supplies for the massive amount of parts and metal each order requires.

Since tax money is being used, MBDA business rules apply to picking suppliers. If you have two possible suppliers with competitive prices, the MBDA qualifying company gets preferential treatment. The order of preference goes like this:

1) Minority or woman owned company that's not publicly traded.
2) US owned company, either private of public.
3) Rest of the planet.

There's a bitch in the industry who owns her own company. All she does is get jobs because of her MBDA status, then subcontracts. Meaning she just gets money by abusing an agency. If a job is gotten and she wasn't specifically contacted about it, she'll raise a hell storm, to the point where most places have her number blocked.

In fact, I don't think MBDA laws have granted ANYONE in the transit agency because of a contradiction in the business. To be able to fill the job, you must be a large enough company to send thousands of parts with multimillion dollar orders. Few companies that big are owned by a single person anymore.

Which led to the following conversation:
:mad: OMG! We just signed a contract with you, but we forgot about MBDA laws! Do you have a supplier that's minority owned you can buy from?
:j: We always check the MBDA list available to us, and there's no one that can fill this order.
:mad: Why not? There has to be someone!
:j: There is only one supplier in the entire US that can ship these parts.
:mad: What about South Africa?
:j: What?!?
:mad: There's a South African company that can do it! I'm sure they're at least 51% minority owned!
:j: You do realize that US MBDA rules don't apply to foreign countries?
:mad: But they're a minority!
:j: Not in South Africa.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Robot Hobo posted:

Here's the real gold-standard of fuckery though. The primo corporate poo poo. People from my callcenter were offered the chance to volunteer to go to India for a while (6 weeks I think) to train the new techs there in-person. In many ways it sounded like a good deal. A free trip to a far-away land, some of your living expenses paid while there, and possibly most importantly it was implied heavily that doing something this big and important was a fast-track to promotions. (or at least much better job security) "I went to India for the company" should sound good on a performance review after all.

The techs went to India, and all was well.
For about the first third of the trip.
Then they got their pink-slips.

They were informed that their jobs at home had been downsized while they were away. So while this groups still had jobs for the duration of this trip, the moment they touched down in the USA again, they were out on the street. There was nobody to talk to about this, HR and any managers they had previously were on the other side of the planet now. On top of that, it's sure not easy to hand out resumes and go to job interviews when you're stuck 8000 miles away from home.

How is that not blatantly illegal?

Just goes back to my work policy of 'get everything in writing'. You want me to go to India? Sure, put it in writing that I get a promotion when I'm done and we're go!

(Followed quickly by me flying out the door, and in fact not going to India. Oh well.)

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

WarLocke posted:

How is that not blatantly illegal?

Just goes back to my work policy of 'get everything in writing'. You want me to go to India? Sure, put it in writing that I get a promotion when I'm done and we're go!

(Followed quickly by me flying out the door, and in fact not going to India. Oh well.)

It's not illegal to be an rear end in a top hat.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

McBeth posted:

It's not illegal to be an rear end in a top hat.

There's being an rear end in a top hat, then there's sending someone halfway around the world and then firing them when/where they can't fight it or even look for a new job. :colbert:

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider
Lunch abuse, for anyone who is silly enough to try eating their lunch in the office & expecting to be able to do so uninterrupted:

:downs: Hey there I have a quick questio...oh I see you're eating lunch

:chef: Yes indeed...

:downs: Well I just have something quick *jerk proceeds to sit down on the corner of my desk for 10 minutes while I eat*

I used to entertain them, but now I simply don't care, so when the time comes for me to respond I just take a big bite of whatever I am eating and reply

:chef: MRFHMFMFRFMFFRM? *munch munch munch*

:downs: Oh...well sorry I'll let you get back to eating...

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

WarLocke posted:

There's being an rear end in a top hat, then there's sending someone halfway around the world and then firing them when/where they can't fight it or even look for a new job. :colbert:

When I worked for Electronics Boutique back in the late 90's they had one of their managers meetings in Las Vegas. One of the managers received an award for sales achievement, was called up on stage in front of 1000 some employees, managers from around the country, executives, etc.

Directly after he walked off the stage he was called out of the meeting hall and told he was being fired for theft. EB loss prevention had an investigation going on him for months prior and decided to fire him, of all places and times, in Las Vegas at a managers meeting. They flew him out there knowing beforehand that they were going to terminate him.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Oh good people are having an impromptu meeting right now next to my cube.

GoofyLM
Aug 3, 2007

Anal sex is teh sex of teh future
Better than a bunch of non technical guys currently making decisions about the directions your website will be taking (signing us up with email marketing that will not work with our current store system, without consulting me...the guy who builds the web site).

I think they want the customer service guy to have my job. Fine with me, I'm about one snide holier-than-thou comment away from burning this bitch to the ground anyways.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
This is a 100% accurate conversation I've had with management, namely the head of accounting who is a loving shrew that makes everyone's lives a living hell.

:byodame:: You were late today, and company policy states that if you are late you must stay 15 minutes later today.
Me: Um, I was like 30 seconds late because the huge delivery truck parked out front is blocking employee parking stalls and I had to find another place to park.
:byodame:: Company policy states that if you are late you must stay 15 minutes later today.
Me: Um ok, well I had to stay late yesterday so that counts right?
:byodame:: Company policy states that if you are late you must stay 15 minutes later today.
Me: So you only care that I'm 30 seconds late, but you don't care that there is a huge truck outside blocking employee parking, or that I've been staying 15-30 minutes late on my own time for the last week to finish a rush job that management has hosed up.
:byodame:: That's right I don't care.
Me: So you don't care about the employees at all?
:byodame:: No, I don't.
Me: :eek:

Next story. The head surveyor who thinks he is the only one that knows how to operate the survey equipment, and so won't let ANYONE touch his precious. I get a survey shot by him and the thing is up to 4 loving feet off, when our tolerances have to be within 3 inches.

Me: There is no way in hell this curb to curb measurement is 20' when all past engineering plans, and hell even the wheel surveying team says it's 16'
:downs:: No you have to draw it how I shot it, it's 100% accurate.
Me: No, this is wrong, I know this is wrong, and I'm not going to sit here and accept this poo poo when I know it will get kicked back to me for being wrong.
:downs:: No, it's 100% right, and if you don't do it I'll tell :v: (my project manager) that you're not imputing the right data.
Me: Well using your poo poo I wouldn’t be imputing the right stuff anyway, so go for it.

5 minutes later
:v:: So :downs: tells me you're not using his survey data.
Me: Yes, here are the pictures of the area that I've calculated to be between 15' and 17' (not 20 like he shot), here are the previous plans that show it at 16', and here is the wheel surveyor's notes who calls out it at 16', not 20' like :downs: has shot.
:v:: Well then, it looks like I need to have a chat with :downs:

5 minutes later
:downs:: I talked with :v:, and he said to make it 20'.

Now this guy would also talk your loving ear off so instead of listening to what else he had to say, I get out a piece of paper and write down the following.

quote:

I _______ do hereby resign my position of chief moron at firm X if the area in question is at a uniform distance of less than 18'. To confirm this I will drive out to the site with A Winner is Jew and will measure the distance using a tape measure and not the survey equipment.

Me: If you're so loving sure about it, then sign it, turn it into :v: and lets go out there.
:downs:: ...
Me: Yeah, I didn't think you had the balls to put your job on the line with your work.

That and the fact that management was loving me over on my merit based pay raise, managment was 100% retarded, and the work was drying up fast was what let me to finding the job where I'm at now (as a senior project manager no less) and quitting a week later. I had a huge loving smile for my last two weeks though and it felt fan loving tastic.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 22, 2010

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
So, was the measurement actually off or was there no resolution to it?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

Nice. Ever have them burst out in cackles while you're on the phone with a client, and when you ask them to keep it down they shoot you the dirty look?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

GOOCHY posted:

So, was the measurement actually off or was there no resolution to it?

It was 16' in the field (like between 15'-10" and 16'-4" along a span of 40' when I went out there), that's what I drew it as and based all my calcs on.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Robot Hobo posted:

When the India callcenter came online, we were to act as their helpdesk. This was in the support-by-chat department that I had worked hard to get into. (to get off the phones) What this means is that if one of the techs in India ran into a problem, we had to talk them through the entire fix as if we were doing it. But with a second person and some language barrier issues in-between. All while still taking our minimum 3 customer chats at the very same time. (and taking only 3 at once was frowned upon heavily)

These internal helpdesk support chats did not count for our call-taking stats, and were CONSTANT. You can guess what that did to our numbers, which in turn were used to explain to us how much better the India centers were performing compared to us. It was almost elegant in a way, like a ballet of corporate cruelty.
Would it be an unfair guess that on top of this, the same people had to liason with in the callcenter could not/would not remember what you just explained to them and in many cases you ended up in an endless cycle of answering the same questions, over and over again?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

melon cat posted:

Nice. Ever have them burst out in cackles while you're on the phone with a client, and when you ask them to keep it down they shoot you the dirty look?

I don't deal with clients, but I do sit right next to the room with the fridge/coffee machine/microwave. Every day someone is either burning popcorn, reheating rancid leftover fish, or some kind of curry.

Though it is better than when I used to sit near the door. Every time someone would walk through it, they would ask me where the person they were looking for was. I have no idea, I just come in the door and sit right down. There's 3 departments on this floor, I don't know most of them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I have no idea what I actually do anymore. I copy stuff from a browser to a spreadsheet. Sometimes the other way around. No, really. That's all I do. I've convinced my boss that it takes me 40 hours a week to do but it's slowly killing me.

Yesterday I spent 10 hours arranging 4 boxes of T-pins in the shape of a flower thing type dohicky on my cube wall.

Should be sleeping
Dec 3, 2006
AM I WEARING MY LEATHERS AND A HELMET? NO? I BETTER BE.

FogHelmut posted:

Oh I know! What the gently caress is that about? I can hear them OVER my headphones at full blast. And there is no benefit to them stopping right there, Someone just opened a folder and everyone crowds around to give input. Then they take my consultation chair OUT of my cube and use it as a table.

There are six rooms in this building designed specifically for meetings. They all have their cute nicknames.

The war room, the punch bowl, the bull pen, etc...I check really quick on the corporate calandar, none of them are in use.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Should be sleeping posted:

Oh I know! What the gently caress is that about? I can hear them OVER my headphones at full blast. And there is no benefit to them stopping right there, Someone just opened a folder and everyone crowds around to give input. Then they take my consultation chair OUT of my cube and use it as a table.

There are six rooms in this building designed specifically for meetings. They all have their cute nicknames.

The war room, the punch bowl, the bull pen, etc...I check really quick on the corporate calandar, none of them are in use.

I once discussed team efficiency with my boss's boss while standing next to him in the pisser. I think that's the most accomplished I've felt in 2010.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Cheesus posted:

Would it be an unfair guess that on top of this, the same people had to liason with in the callcenter could not/would not remember what you just explained to them and in many cases you ended up in an endless cycle of answering the same questions, over and over again?
I don't remember ever being able to keep track of names, and since it was all text chat based, there was no voices to remember. Having 5 simultaneous technical conversations at all times all day makes everything blur together really easily.

melon cat posted:

At O1 we all worked in one room, maybe 40 feet across, with a fourteen or so short-walled cubicles in it. On one side was the manager, and the other was the supervisor. In between were all of the actual phone-techs, on calls all day. That manager and supe would call each other off and on all day to talk about everything. Headset? gently caress no. handset? Nope. They both used speakerphones turned all the way up. To talk to each other, in the same goddamn room, 30 or so feet away. Constantly.

If we tried to ask them to keep it down because it became impossible to hear ANYTHING else, we got a dirty look and/or told to mind our own drat business.

Arc Rectifier
Mar 25, 2007

Because AC won't rectify itself.
If I were to go into detail about the layers upon layers of fascinating experiences I've had at my job, this would probably stretch into thirty or forty pages, so I'll leave it at this:

I write my boss's emails. All of them. Even the ones to people within the office. She will send me a blank email with the subject line reading something like "PLEASE DRAFT me a email to [person] saying [statement]," or forward me something someone has already copied me on and add "Please DRAFT a response...include [reference]....bla bla bla..."

It's not over once I've written the sodding email and sent it to her so she can send it to whoever; no, she has to dither over the wording for literally hours, printing it out and bringing it down to my cube to ask if I think she should use this word instead of that word, going away again, coming back again to ask me if I think she should make some other utterly insignificant and pointless change, going back to her office and loving STARING at the email on her screen, before she hits send. :bang:

Oh there is so much more. SO MUCH.

OhSnap
Feb 23, 2007

Ah, good ol' office jobs.

I actually enjoy my office job. It's kind of satisfying to correct other people's mistakes (which is a part of my job). The only thing that bothers me is that some other people in the office place don't seem to understand time limits. Ever since our company laid people off, we have had less people as well as tighter time constraints. Everyone knows this.

For some reason when I'm supposed to receive comments back from people at work (I tell them the day that it's needed by), people decide they suddenly don't need to get their comments back then. I almost always get things late. Today I was working on a piece that was supposed to have comments back that very same day. Out of the 6 people who are supposed to respond, no one did.

I will call people in other areas of the company for information on some of our products. Even when I tell them I need the answer ASAP, because our brochure is going into print soon, I'm met with the response "Could I do this tomorrow?" or "Yeah I'll check it later on in the afternoon." No. I need it now.

I've found myself doing other people's jobs every once in a while. It's not my job to look for copyright notices, but I'll look at a product and realize there's none on it, ask about it and lo and behold "Oh yeah I forgot to write that in my comments", so then I have to add it. It seems like some people just aren't trying anymore. :(

Oh and then there's the issue with dealing with the U.S. who always sends us things late or makes major mistakes.

On the upside, it pays well and is fairly close to where I live. And despite how much I may complain, I really enjoy the work.

OhSnap fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 22, 2010

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Being your own boss is pretty cool. There's a lot of pressure and every breath you take loses the company money and you are liable for everything any idiot does and you think of the job every hour even when you're not at work and it takes over your life to a degree. At least you can choose the idiots you work with and it is partially fun if the business interests you.

e: Oh wait, not incorporated

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 23, 2010

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Romes posted:

I work in IT for a corporate office. Why yes, I AM looking forward to wearing jeans on Friday! The only thing that sucks is there's only 1 younger guy my age on my specific team. Thus most of my days are spent hanging out with people older than my parents. They're nice, but it kinda slowly turns you in to an old person.

Similar issue in my office. Outside of the mail guy, I'm the youngest person in that office. I'm IT/Programming/Software development/Technology punching bag. Where does everyone between 21 and 30 work?!

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I'm one of the business youngins. In fact I'm the youngest at my workplace, with the second youngest being 3 years older then me.

As the Office Manager/Shipping Manager/Receptionist/IT, one of my responsibilities is to make sure the office is always stocked with supplies. It's a very hit or miss deal with getting the finances for that cleared, mostly because the person in charge of that works in another location and it's like pulling teeth when it comes to contacting him. I end up getting short changed in petty cash so I only can get soo many things. And we wonder why we keep running out of things soo fast. :sigh:

Though I really can't complain. The environment is extremely relaxed, and there are no dress codes or anything regulating proper lunch times or times for break. We all get our poo poo done and as long as we get our poo poo for for the day, the head honchos don't give a gently caress. And these are the chillest group of people I've ever worked with.

Though I wish I would get paid a little more. Ah well. :)

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010
Have! It's `could have' not `could of', dipshit
I work with a mid forties woman that refers to her husband in casual conversation as " dear husband". No idea why this infuriates me, but it does.

Dershiva
Jun 8, 2001

My spoon is too big
Fun Shoe
Oh Corporate America, how I don't miss you. Working at a help desk years back, I went through the same India Adventure that has already been brought up.

We had rumors of out-sourcing, the emails from management categorically denying it, the cryptic end of year newsletter congratulating the IT department on it's hard work finishing the "International Call Center", the ensuing poo poo-storm, the apologetic emails about how sorry they were but the clients were demanding to pay less for support and the whole floor would be out of work in six months. You know, the usual.

My favorite scene from this same company takes place at a yearly review:
:reject: "You know Dershiva, we're really not getting the level of dedication from you that we're looking for."
:mad: "I don't understand. I nail my call assessments, help train the new people, act as a pinch-supervisor, stay late to help the night shift and the client loves me."
:reject: "Well, you see, you took all of your vacation time last year."

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Stop refusing to replace people who leave.

Stop.
Please.

We're not laying people off, we're not hurting that bad. No, we just refuse to refill positions. So if Miss Copywriter leaves the company, her position just gets absorbed by one or two other people who don't really know what they are doing.

Then the material doesn't get proofread correctly.
Then material goes out with incorrect information.
Then half the company has to run around finding solutions and it ends up costing us money and man hours to fix because someone typoed a phone number on material that went to tens of thousands of clients.

I get mad every time I find out that instead of replacing someone we've lost, we just keep our heads down and pretend that job never existed.

One of my coworkers just figured out, volume-wise, that he does as much work as 2.5 people because of all the administration duties he's been handed as people left.

Ugh.

mrselfdestruct1994
Apr 3, 2009
I'm in graphic design at a small agency doing websites and point of sale packaging stuff at the moment, however I used to do in-house design work for what was basically a mortgage brokerage and it was an absolute nightmare. The two designers they used to have were laid off and they hired me to continue working on their various print advertisements. I found out when I left that I was actually being paid half what the previous designers were despite being told all the time "what a great job" I'd been doing.

What makes it worse is that over time our advertising budget was cut back pretty drastically and I was gradually shifted away from the graphic design side of things and was forced to do an increasing number of spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations for the CEO of the company who was a total lunatic. He would actually call me into his office and go through these lovely little projects with me directly to give you an idea of his management skills.

The worst experience I can recall was when he asked me to print out the company website for him so he could make notes on it. When I presented him with the printed pages he told me it was too "blurry" and that he needed higher quality copies.

So I would have had to re-create the entire website (from scratch) at 300DPI... So he could write notes on it... Luckily he forgot about this request after a while so I never had to do it.

This all came to a head one day after I misunderstood one of his instructions and politely asked him if he could clarify it for me. His response was to take me into his office where we had this discussion:

:devil: If you EVER speak to me like that again you're loving OUT OF HERE.

:devil: I don't expect you to QUESTION me when I give you a SIMPLE. loving. INSTRUCTION.

:devil: If I say to do something, JUST loving DO IT.

:aaa: Uhhh... I quit?

:devil: gently caress OFF THEN.

That's pretty much word for word, the one pleasurable experience I got from the whole thing was going around to my various managers and informing them they wouldn't have any material to send to print this week because I had been "instructed to leave the building".

:confused: Wait a second, what about that advert you were working on for me? It has to be sent to the Herald on Friday!

:eng101: Precisely. Cya later!

Suffice to say I enjoy my new job a lot better. :)

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

RivensBitch posted:

My boss cannot enter a URL into a web browser unless it's google. From there, he will type the url he needs into the google search bar, click "search", and then click on the search result that goes to the URL he typed into google. I can't even get him to at least type the URL into the firefox google search in the upper right of the browser.

HAHAHA my boss does the SAME thing.

Also, the CEO of my company (who is also my boss's husband) used to turn his head sideways if he got a fax or PDF that wasn't facing up. That was until my dad pointed out to him that there's a rotate button.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't know what the big deal with jeans on Friday is. My haggar slacks are pretty comfortable. Big pockets, plenty of crotch room.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know what the big deal with jeans on Friday is. My haggar slacks are pretty comfortable. Big pockets, plenty of crotch room.

I am very happy that casual Fridays don't apply to me. It is well-understood that I am supposed to be a lab peon, so all those dress rules don't apply. Jeans, nice sneakers, and a polo shirt are sufficient for pretty much everything except presentations. If I know I'm going to be in the lab all day, sometimes I even go in with crummier stuff than that.

gently caress corporate attire. It does nothing for me. :)

AnnoyingWoman
Dec 2, 2003

*has unhealthy obsession with Mathemagician.
I worked a job where we had a request form to request an order form for more request forms. :saddowns: That was only the beginning of the hilarious inefficiencies.

Dr. Steve Brule
Mar 8, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Jeans Friday is so stupid, like I want to wear denim when it's 95 degrees outside? And we can't even wear sandals, what the heck are you supposed to wear with jeans in summer? Plus no tank tops or t-shirts, but you can wear polo shirts. So I end up looking like I'm ready to play in the LPGA, that's nice.

So I usually wear my regular work pants and then all day I get "Didn't you hear, we can wear jeans on Fridays!" :woop:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Dead Cow posted:

Stop refusing to replace people who leave.

Stop.
Please.

In the continuing tale of me leaving my current job for a bigger and better one, I was told today that they would be hiring from within to replace me. I thought this was odd at first because as far as I knew, no one had the experience I did for my position in the firm. I had told my office that I had a number of people I knew in mind who would be happy to fill my position, friends of mine looking for work with marketing experience in the legal field, but hey, all I can do is make the recommendation.

So the office admin calls me into her office and tells me that the 23 year old receptionist is going to fill my position because she's worked on "newsletters and stuff in the past".

:v:

Keep in mind, I'm the firm's MARKETING DIRECTOR. I handled a million dollar budget, managed the website, took care of the marketing needs of 30 attorneys, hosted seminars, sponsored events, published articles in major publications, got clients for the firm, etc etc.

Now I'm torn, do I go with option a.) and ask what the gently caress she's thinking? or option b.) train the receptionist for three days and watch the firm collapse in on itself.

Decisions, decisions.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
At my "company" we are required to do a daily audit of the various departments. This is supposed to entail looking at the total sales reports and then looking at the over all projections, then crunching numbers onto a pen-paper spreadsheet and then entering it all into excel then saving it to some network drive partition that I found out that neither my manager NOR the directors knew existed.

On average this spreadsheet nightmare would take 2+ hours.

When I discovered that nobody knew this existed I stopped doing them. 2 years ago. No one has noticed.

The information is also kind of important, as it goes into what my provincial government is spending on such and such. I guess the Alberta provincial government is floating in so much money that it doesn't really need to know where it's all going.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

E the Shaggy posted:

Now I'm torn, do I go with option a.) and ask what the gently caress she's thinking? or option b.) train the receptionist for three days and watch the firm collapse in on itself.

Decisions, decisions.
I am probably not the best person to ask since I'm kind of disgruntled myself but if I were in your situation I would do option (b) so loving fast it would make your head spin. :)

Also, if you opt for option (a), don't be surprised if it's completely ineffective and you end up having to do (b) anyway. :)

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

E the Shaggy posted:

In the continuing tale of me leaving my current job for a bigger and better one, I was told today that they would be hiring from within to replace me. I thought this was odd at first because as far as I knew, no one had the experience I did for my position in the firm. I had told my office that I had a number of people I knew in mind who would be happy to fill my position, friends of mine looking for work with marketing experience in the legal field, but hey, all I can do is make the recommendation.

So the office admin calls me into her office and tells me that the 23 year old receptionist is going to fill my position because she's worked on "newsletters and stuff in the past".

:v:

Keep in mind, I'm the firm's MARKETING DIRECTOR. I handled a million dollar budget, managed the website, took care of the marketing needs of 30 attorneys, hosted seminars, sponsored events, published articles in major publications, got clients for the firm, etc etc.

Decisions, decisions.

The correct answer is offer to stay for twice what the other job is offering, then laugh.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Risky posted:

My mom's been an ICU nurse for about 30 years now and really likes her job, but she keeps complaining now that her patients' average weight is something like 350 pounds :(

Mouthpiece
Sep 11, 2009

Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?
Thanks for sharing. I feel so much better about my job afterwards. Is it human nature to take everything for granted, given enough time and familiarity? Right now I am writing this at work. I have one boss who hates to delegate. I am the only employee. Maybe two meetings a year. My director is 4 offices away and I can talk to him on a daily basis. We all drink together on Fridays at the office. I can pretty much wear what the hell I want (I choose to look professional). I get paid very well. They get their pound of flesh though. I get alot of time away from home in a physically exhausting environment (camping I love it). But for over half of the year I'm living this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-gvIeNWAPo

I used to live in America. gently caress that poo poo. I was stressed out. I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I hated meetings. Australia owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
I just went to a final interview today with the VP of the company that's interested in me. Apparently I was the only one who made it to the final interview, they said I was a top candidate, and now they're making me wait more than a day to find out if I got the job :ohdear:

I won't be able to sleep tonight - I want to put in my 2 weeks so bad. I turned down employment for another company, despite high pay, because I didn't think I would enjoy it. The interview went great today; but I won't know that it was great, necessarily, because I won't hear anything until tomorrow! :supaburn: Very e/n, but hopefully I'll have a good quitting story coming up soon.