Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

GiveMeABreak posted:

The anorexic chicks who sit in operations without enough body mass to generate heat have access to the only thermostat in the office. The rest of us sweat with the heater on an 80 degree day because they can't be bothered to bring a drat jacket. Whine whine whine!

This, oh god, this. It's bad enough that you've turned off the AC in the middle of summer, but tack on the heat generated by the electronics throughout the office, and it's god drat ridiculous. If I hear you complain one more time that you're still cold in this 75 degree plus office in the middle of July, I might have to punch you in the face. Meanwhile, these same people are cold in winter even with the thermostat set to some absurdly warm temperature. Seeing a pattern? Bring a loving sweater. I cannot focus on my work when it's this goddamn hot and I sure as poo poo can't take my clothes off to cool off.

Also, I get that we have a large number of computer illiterate people working throughout the offices, but Mr. IT Supervisor, do you really have to send us three emails a day about silly poo poo like "remember to turn off your computer to save energy!" Don't you have better things to do? (I don't have access to my emails right this second to give a better example, but anyone who has an IT department knows precisely the emails I mean).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Amnistar posted:

Yea...probably not his idea. Probably him going "If I don't do this, X will happen, then it looks bad on me and I get yelled at...because they're stupid." It's just CYA for the IT department when corporate comes in and says, "Why are costs so high, dn't you tell your employees to turn of computers?" and the IT people can say, "Yes. Now go yell at them."

Yea, you're probably right on that specific example. I wish I had my email in front of me this moment though because some of the mass emails he sends (to like 300 plus people) are such a ridiculous waste of time, it makes me wonder what he's even being paid to do (there's a department of them, and from what I've seen, the others are the ones who go computer to computer assisting with end user problems, setup of machinery, and user errors).

Edit: I do sympathize with IT, however, over some of the "user error" problems they have to deal with. Like, the fact that a bunch of professionals need to be told that the mass email they got from Nigeria asking for Western Union money in exchange for 1 bajillion dollars is a scam? The emails directing us to ignore them always make me chuckle, because how do people still not know this?!

Auracounts fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 21, 2010

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Amnistar posted:

Yea...the number of times we get a call about how this email "looked legit" and they clicked on it and now it's not working and "could they be related" make me cringe.

Haha. I actually know of a company around here that got boned out of a SUBSTANTIAL amount of money because one of its older execs fell for one of those emails. I don't want to give out too many details, but yea....I can just picture their entire IT department facepalming over that.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Thank God I'm leaving in a week.

I absolutely detest professionals who believe that being abusive towards others is some sort of entitlement you receive along with their degree. I'm a professional and I don't walk around screaming at everyone about what they hosed up. Honestly, I've found that it's way easier to get my secretary to perform "rush" jobs and fix other things on the fly simply by being nice (not to mention, most of them will do poo poo for me on the fly before they do it for some other people, simply because I treat them with as much respect as I would want in return).

The stupid poo poo about your situation is that I fail to see how him waiting until the last minute to order cards is somehow your fault. gently caress, man, we get like a thousand cards in a box! Did he not notice when he had only 20 left? Really? Oh, of course it's not his fault he waited until the very last possible minute and didn't plan ahead. Planning ahead is in no way an attorney's job. :rolleyes:

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Cheesus posted:

I'm a programmer. These are my favorites.

"Just A Quick Question...". I know it's meant with respect for my time. They think that if they downsell how much work they think it should be for me to give them an answer, it suddenly makes it better on me. Guess what? It doesn't.

(snip)

By a "just a quick question", no less.

Oh god, how I hate this. In my profession, any time I hear someone say they will be "brief," or anything of that ilk, I immediately know they are about to drone on and on for the next 45 minutes. To me, it's the verbal equivalent of writing the word "clearly" in a document. It almost always seems to mean the exact opposite.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

WarLocke posted:

If the boss dude told her to make a copy and she decided to just give you the other guy's key, then gently caress her. You got a key, like the boss said, it's no business of yours how she did it. When the other guy gets back and needs a key she can make a copy of 'her' key. Like she was told to do.

^^Definitely this. It's not your job to do HER job.

Dude, her behavior seems so unacceptable to me. Not to advocate tattling, but honestly, she's interfering with your ability to perform your job and actively sabotaging you. Have you spoken to anyone about her behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

There's an older secretary in my office who works down the hall who clears her throat every 30 minutes. I can hear her everytime she does it as if she were sitting right next to me, thats how loud it is. Its the most disgusting poo poo ever.

Oh god. I once had to share a very tiny office with an absolute hambeast of a woman (new office was being built, so we had like 20-30 people crammed into an office space designed for 10-15 people). No lie, the woman was about 5'2'' and must have weighed in excess of 450 pounds. The first day she was there, she asked me if I minded if she ate her lunch in our office. To be polite, and despite my better judgment, I said no problem.

Big mistake. I am already insanely neurotic and disgusted by the sound of other people eating (mostly because you fuckers don't know how to chew with your drat mouths closed!). Why I thought she would know how to eat like a human is beyond me. There she was, sitting like 3 feet away from me, eating KFC fried chicken. I have never in my life heard smacking like this. To make matters worse, she loved to lick her fingers. I don't mean the semi-polite finger licking, either. It's like I could hear her lips and tongue wrap around her finger savoring the grease.

I was so disgusted, and felt such a pit of anger in my stomach, I had to leave the room after about 5 minutes, because I couldn't concentrate on anything other than wanting to punch her in the loving face.

I do feel guilty posting this, though. I found out a couple years later that she apparently died of a massive heart attack (she was just shy of 50, iirc).