Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

loving meetings.

I'm a software contractor and I do a lot of work with large businesses and local governments. Every single business larger than 25 loves to have pointless meetings.

Right now I am working with a local government client that has countless layers of middle management. I am 100% convinced that these people (who make $200k+ a year) do not do a single shred of work ever. No, instead they schedule and sit in pointless meetings about pointless poo poo all day every day until they can retire at 55 and collect a fat pension.

I am not kidding. We had a meeting last week to discuss the outcome of a meeting we had a couple days before. The outcome was that we would not start a project until after the third week in June. For some reason, I needed to drive a hour round trip, sit with 10-12 other people and say "We decided 2 days ago that we are not starting this project until June xx." This, of course, took over an hour because we needed to rediscuss nothing, apparently to fill the time allotted for this meeting.

I loving hate meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I work in a pretty easy job in a decent building. There are several companies that share this office building and one shared receptionist that sits in front and makes sure unwanted people or animals don't get in.

We just got a new lady and she is the most fake cheerful person I've ever met. The minute I open the front door I hear "Well gooooood MORNING mintskoal! How are you today? That's a nice shirt! No coat today?" and on and on and on. Literally the annoying heifer from Office Space. Since my office area opens directly to the front lobby, any time I have to take a piss or go get a coffee I get something like:

:j:: Oh wow coffee time agaaaain? Must have been a late night!
:j:: Dr. Pepper? I thought you liiiiiived on coffee!?
:j:: That's a nice color on your shirt! Look out, I see ladies coming for you!!

Monday I walked in on the phone with a client and bee lined straight to my desk. After the call was over I walked out for some reason and hear "Hmph, no eye contact or hello today mintskoal? Did someone have too much fun this weekend :haw:"

I know this isn't a job complaint but god drat it lady SHUT UP SHUT UP. I don't want more than a smile and nod relationship with you and you suck a bit of my soul every time you open your mouth at me.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Cage Kicker posted:

You sound like a fun person.

I think I'm pleasant enough. She's just so fake and over the top with everything it moves outside of friendly conversation to grating.

Also, no she isn't a good receptionist. She has a very poor sense of screening telemarketers.