Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragnix
Nov 25, 2006

Look out Internet, it's your Dad...IN 3-D!

CornHolio posted:

5. The blame game. The motherfucking blame game. If something goes wrong, its always somebody's fault. This is why I am stupidly anal about paperwork. If someone rights something up with a wrong part number on it and I process it without noticing it, I always make sure I can find it easily. I have excel sheets with thousands of ECR numbers so I can quickly search through them and find the request and who wrote it, to absolve me of any wrongdoing (not that I'm perfect, but I'll at least admit when I make a mistake, unlike other people). Because I do all of the CAD, all of the instructions, and all of the engineering changes, I'm the first person people look to blame; I have to make sure that if it's not my fault, I can let it be known. I hate passing the buck like that, but my job pretty much depends on it.

You see, this is done way too often in our place, but what's worse is our boss.

His philosphy that you should never point fingers, never accuse anyone. That the team let down the customer, and we will find the solution and fix it.

I get in trouble repeatedly for one simple thing: when I'm the one who caused the problem: I say it. I say it and say "poo poo, I goofed up. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again." I get in trouble for taking responsibility for it, in the mean while, people of other departments are pointing fingers left and right taking no time to actually realize that 80% of the time it's easier to actually fix the loving problem then to go try to blame it on someone else.

And this unfortuneatly leads to people never taking responsibility for anything...

CornHolio posted:

Sales promises customers things that can't physically be done. I have to find a way for it to work, but to do it properly takes time. We regularly release systems that haven't been properly tested, built, etc... and despite being burned on it repeatedly, we still do it. I tell them we can either do things quickly or correctly, but we always end up doing the former rather than the latter.

This, my god this.

I have worked at my current place for only 18 months around, but I am astounded at how many things sales doesnt tell us. New features? Ok, fine, you forgot. I just got an email from another co worker ssaying you asked tech support two weeks ago about it, fine.

But the thing that pisses me off the most is when the installation is supposed to happen. Do NOT get pissed at me when you tell me about an installion about a customer you DID not mention and expect me to say that the software's done. No, I am not a psychic. No I can't read your mind. You're wondering why I'm getting pissed at you: there's a reason. Because our department, being understaffed and being lead by the equivalent of a 2x4, can pull off most everything thrown at us. We work long hours, we get poo poo down. A good amount of it is unnecessary as if you would have told us the information when you got it, like let's say 6 weeks ago, we could have planned it and not done code we would have to work our way through going "wtf is this poo poo" later.

I can understand the horse trading, the unclear specs, it sells products. Insane promises? Yeah, it's retarded: I get that. But when you have the information, when you're just sitting on it, and you just dont do anything about it........ugggggh.

Cheesus posted:

The Perfect Interruption. I don't get interrupted very often but when I do, it's absolutely at the wrong time.

Ok, when you're programming, any interruptions are bad. Having to switch your mental gears away from what you're working on is very hard. However, you're not neccessarily thinking/writing full-on during the entire day. There are times when interruptions are not as bad as others. Like if you were coming back from the bathroom or maybe taking a break to read emails.

The most recent example occured last week. I was in a slump that lasted about two days. During this time I could not get anything done. No motivation and I was slacking off, reading the forums, youtubing, etc. During this time when it would have been absolutely perfect to ask me questions, I had no interruptions at all.

Finally I kicked myself in the rear end and got my mojo on. No more than five minutes into "the zone", I get interrupted.

This as well.

I do get interrupted a lot though. I've actually put something at the front of my cubicle to try to block people from entering (piece of equipment developing on), to try to dissuade people from walking in). It worked. For about a day.

-------

My biggest gripes at my place of work:

1) Equipment: You want me to develop some software for a new machine? Ok, that's fine. I'd love to work on it. Oh, I don't have the equipment to do it on? That may be a problem.

This is a simple concept. In order for me to develop for that piece of equipment, I need that specific piece of equipment, or something that simulates the equipment. That's it. There's no other options.

This rule gets broken way too often. We've had things of our shifted: the machines need I remind you are only with us in the first place because they were rejects.

This was definitely a problem when one day I found my Development machine missing. The one that had a Demo later that week. The one that was pretty much the one thing that could bring the Demo to a complete halt.

I was not amused.

2. When the hell am I supposed to have this done, and where the gently caress did it come from? : See above.

3. Salesman. I hate them. Now for sales. Not for the fact that they sell ridculous things as times (and yes there's been moments where I've literally bashed my head against a wall for one request). No. I hate the no info. I hate no installation date. I hate that when I ask a simple question from you, like who the contact for the customer is, something I shouldn't be doing in the first place, you don't respond. For 3 weeks. You ignore calls. You basically are not doing anything. Only when I finally have had enough, walk into the big boss's office and say "do something about this now", you find the time. It's not. this. loving. hard. I'm not asking for that much detail. Simple contact, simple info. That's it.

God I want to go on but I have to get ready for tomorrow. I can handle the busyness. I can handle some insanity. What i can't handle is people who don't give a drat, and people who go out of their way to make it harder for you.

More later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU