Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

CornHolio posted:

:(
Start your own company. Apply for government grants for R&D, small business, and everything else you can think of. In your spare time you could learn about running a business, what kind of paperwork is required, what your costs would be and where you'd source parts/labour, etc. Use your valuable domain-specific knowledge and crank out the units your customers want. Be efficient as hell and undercut your current employer, because you don't have all of the incredible costs that come with bloat. If you're willing to spend the time, you stand to make a lot more money and be far more satisfied with your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

WarLocke posted:

If the boss dude told her to make a copy and she decided to just give you the other guy's key, then gently caress her. You got a key, like the boss said, it's no business of yours how she did it. When the other guy gets back and needs a key she can make a copy of 'her' key. Like she was told to do.

Exactly this. "You gave me my key, did you not get one made for Kirk? You should probably get that done." She's going to keep doing it if you let her, and you are definitely letting her.

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

Should be sleeping posted:

Everyone hates me at my office. Because they crunch numbers, and estimate how much it costs a building to be made. But apparently, me, the staff artist, gets to sit around and "fool with photoshop"

I take half assed revit and autocad files, fix them so that the geometry makes sense, and render them in 3D Studio max with an accurate sunlight simulation, using the v-ray rendering suite, in addition to completed landscape designs that have to be implemented as proxies because an accurate model is so polygon intensive 6 or 7 trees would crash the scene.

And yes, I take their 300 by 300 pixel artifacted all to hell .jpg plan views that they scanned into photoshop, and redraw them in illustrator so that when they are printed full size on 11 x 17 paper, they don't look like the internet threw up on the paper.

At least once a day, I hear about how easy I have it, and I'd better feel lucky for being able to coast like I do.

Which is why I feel no guilt for surfing the forums when I'm waiting for something to render.
Having worked 3 years at a job very similar to yours, then gone to university and worked 2 years at jobs very similar to theirs, I think I'm decently situated to tell you that yes, you probably do have it slightly easier. They don't have to be cocks about it, though.

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

Skellen posted:

I think the thing I hate most is 'Good morning.' Then I feel necessarily obligated to return the greeting and my day is shot to hell.
You can just reply "morning", which is usually more accurate.

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

fosborb posted:

I'm standard salaried 8-5 Monday through Friday but had to work 10pm to 1am Saturday night to verify output for a large data fix. I had to do it because I run all projects for my department, because no one knows our procedures and how they relate to our admin systems better than I do, because two years ago every senior person in my department -- except for me -- left in the span of a month. The data fix was necessary in the first place because of a build up of dozens of misinterpretations of contractual obligations and their impact on admin system calculations over the last 10 years.

For me, this is the worst part of working corporate: lovely responsibilities inexorably dropped into my lap due to years and years of piss poor decisions and mistakes by people who probably don't even work there anymore. I've given up entirely on accountability for this kind of thing; I just wish I had a single person or department I could get irrationally angry at so I at least had something to vent about at the end of the day.

Even if I had omnipotent control over the entire company beginning today, I would still have to deal with these past mistakes for another 10 years before they were entirely shaken out.
Do you have hiring power? Get yourself a whipping boy.

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

If it helps someone with their internet detectivery, Scurvy seems to work here: http://www.killianbranding.com/

Please Scurvy, give us the blog! We'll be nice, I swear :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Sorry to disappoint you. Now I'm going to go play the Wii with some fellow employees. :)
Try not to be too much better than all of them put together.