Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I love the trickle down theory of information where some higher up decides on a change of procedure and passes it on verbally to whatever shift is working, even though we're a 24 hour department with six independent shifts.

Today a coworker bitched me out for not following a procedure change that was passed down to her verbally several weeks ago on one of my days off. My response?

"Was an E-Mail sent out? Was the SOP updated? No? Then you're crazy and I don't know what you're talking about."

I have every SOP memorized so whenever I make a slip up, I can cover my rear end by pointing to the horribly outdated SOP and say "Well it doesn't say to do it in SOP." This also has the side effect of occasionally getting them fixed and updated which is great for the huge influx of new people we just got who have no idea how to do anything.

e: It's worth saying I have a friendly relationship with this coworker, I call her crazy, she calls me a dick, and it all evens out in the end.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I had a job like that. Helpdesk with a little more, management pushing more and more work. I was just soul draining. The worst was when we had to work mandatory paid overtime during the winter. The hours were 5:30 am to 2:30 pm normally, but they made it 5:30a to 4:30p. I was lucky to see the sun at all and that really sapped me mentally. I ended up quitting without anything lined up. The look on my manager's face when he asked what my new job was and I said "nothing" was worth it.

And I had a new job in a week. I miss the tech boom.

The only reason I love my 6:00AM to 4:30PM hours is because I get a three day weekend. (Yes I'm rubbing it in :smug:)

Five days of that poo poo? No thank you. I did crazy OT for Hurricane Sandy, but that was just one week and it was completely optional. Plus I was trapped at work and couldn't get home, so it's not like I had anything better to do.

Pleads posted:

Irony of the situation is I have no drive to work on my resume when I finish work because I'm drained by the job I want to leave :haw:

When I had a job like this, I made use of that resume writing goon's service. I'm sure everyone knows of him and are probably tired of hearing about him at this point, but it's really convenient to list poo poo off about your job and let him make it actually sound and look good since that's 90% of the work right there. Ironically enough, I got a job offer that I took using my old lovely resume the day the new one was ready, but I have it for when I inevitably lost my poo poo.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 31, 2013

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I've never been so happy to be hourly before.

I feel really bad for the supervisors where I work. They get a paltry amount of on-call pay, have one week on-call rotations, and we're a 24 hour department without 24 hour supervisor coverage. Plus one supervisor is out on medical leave, and another on FMLA.

We can't do a major part of our job without getting supervisor approvals first, so what ends up happening is that a supervisor will work off of 3 hours of sleep where they could find it, then come in to work all grumpy and sleep deprived only to be greeted by angry managers who didn't like the way they handled an emergency because their judgment was clouded from being awake 30 hours. One week it was so bad, another supervisor had to step in and help out because the on-call guy risked being forced to pull two consecutive all-nighters in addition to his regularly scheduled work week.

I will never become a supervisor in this department, I don't care how much money they offer.

On the other hand, I was just yelled at by a supervisor because I asked for an updated SOP on something, and was told I should be able to figure it out with good judgement. Considering the SOPs exist because good judgement is subjective, we'll see how long it takes for that to bite us in the rear end (not long).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Today I got pulled into an unannounced meeting to apologize for the lack of communication.

And by pulled into, I mean the entire business unit was pulled into my department's room while I was on the phone. I got off the phone, turned around and found a meeting going on behind me that I had no idea was going to happen.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hooray, it's "anonymous" employee survey time!

I must say I'm pretty uncomfortable with the survey asking me to name seven coworkers who's opinions I value the most, and seven more who "energize" me.

Time to name drop people whose jobs I know are in jeopardy, I guess.

Ironically, shortly after I answered a bunch of "given tools to do my job" and communication based questions, I lost internet access for an hour because a coworker unplugged my PC's Ethernet cord without telling me because he found my computer plugged into where his was supposed to go. I found the patch under my desk was dead, and every unused one within reach was also dead. Help Desk refused to help because we're not on the official company network, my supervisor has no idea who officially supports IT for the department (because we do it ourselves), and yet nobody even knows where the drat switch is located for me to troubleshoot myself. I was really disappointed I couldn't lower those scores any further than I already did.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My company recently rolled out one of those stupid self evaluation things too.

It got off to a rocky start because they introduced it as a learning tool to help you grow that didn't actually have any learning resources in it. HR only got people to do it by yelling at the managers until each department was at 100%. My department still didn't care until they broke out the news that it was going to be affecting our raises.

You're forced to set "goals" for yourself for the year, and you give occasional updates stating your progress. So of course, what everybody did was set their goals to be the same as the company goals then add some bullshit ones of your own, then come back right before it's due, set them to 100% completed to say "yup, goal achieved". I'm not even sure if you can even add your own comments yet.

The money the company has wasted on this is astounding, considering all that it's amounted to so far is employees clicking random buttons to make the red dots go away, which then causes a red dot to appear for their supervisor, who clicks stuff to make the red dot go away for them which causes a new red dot to appear for the employee.

Considering we're a technical department and even we can't figure out what this poo poo does or how to use it, I feel bad for the rest of the company.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

rolleyes posted:

I have. Now I have the ability to sling streams of buzzwords from my wrists. It's very synergistic.

You're lucky. All I can sling from my wrists is bullshit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

What are your policies on inclement weather? We've just been informed that if the weather is too icy for people to come in to work they're going to pull from our personal PTO bank and are not offering a work from home option. I think this is ultra lovely since most people are down to one or two days left of time off that they're saving for the holidays.

So now we have to budget for sick days and inclement weather when attempting to plan vacation, since it's all from the same pool. Then they wonder why no one goes on vacation and the office is full of grumpy people.

We have the same policy, but we're a 24 hour department that's critical to the function of the company. I work for an ISP, so it's actually really important that we stay functioning during lovely weather. Management is generally understanding if we're unable to get to work, but there's still an expectation that we'll make a serious effort to come in.

The company makes up for it by giving special storm pay during things like Sandy (2.5x base pay for Sandy for the entire week) so everyone likes money enough to come in to work. If it's just regular lovely weather and you can't shovel yourself out or something, then yeah you'll have to take a day.

Sick, Personal, and Vacation are all different pools for us though, and management doesn't give us a hard time when we need to call out at a moment's notice.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Enigma89 posted:

This is probably the wrong thread to ask this but despite all the bullshit does anyone love their job?

I am really considering going corporate (Currently selfemployed) but everywhere I look it seems people just loathe their job.

I like it when I'm not getting bogged down in bureaucracy.

Really it comes down to that I hate this department but I love the company. Don't think for a second that I have any loyalty to the company, I just think it's a great place to work with a lot of opportunity. This is the kind of place that will be more than happy to have you working here for life and will treat you right (more or less).

I try to tell people that it's all about your mindset. If you think you're going to have a lovely day at work and you come in with an awful attitude, you really are going to have a lovely day. When I worked retail, part of my morning routine was to lie to myself that I loved my job and tell myself I was going to have a great day, and it made a world of difference.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I try to look at the bright side of having 8 bosses.

If you have a question or request and you don't like the response you got from one boss, just ask another until you get a satisfactory response. Then get it in writing and you're all set.

On the other hand that also means there's no consistency in this department and something you did right yesterday will be wrong today, but I take my victories one at a time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Gold and a Pager posted:

I had to pull my interns into a meeting last week about how it was not acceptable to play a game of going into the bathroom after someone had used it and then see how bad it smelled.

This is mind boggling.

For starters, why would you even do that to yourself?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

YF19pilot posted:

So how do I get out of retail and into a "grown up" corporate job? Whatever it is you guys are doing has to be better than my job anyways.

Send out a million resumes to anything and everything until you get a lucky break. Really it comes down luck in the end.

I went from part time retail to a temp job where I currently am to be a ticket bitch for stupid, easy poo poo. I was so good at ticket bitching that I started picking up extra work until there was no difference between the work load between me and the full time employees, and after a year of this I got taken on full time. It was a bit annoying doing the same job for less pay as everyone else, but I'm glad I stuck it out in the end.

On paper I'm hilariously under-qualified for this job, so much so that when I put in my job app to go from temp to full time, HR just binned my resume even though I was told on the side I was a shoe-in, and they only went back for it once my manager bitched them out.

e: Just because I feel like telling my story:

I had my first interview with a temp agency which went really well, they told me afterwards that basically their job in the hiring process was to find potentially qualified candidates who weren't jackasses. Since they knew nothing about anything technology related, that part was left up to the company to do. In hindsight, the job description was completely inaccurate.

When I went to the interview with the company, they straight up forgot they had an interview scheduled, so I sat through a half-assed interview where they asked me a grand total of one question (which they told me I was right before I even finished answering), and I had a call with a job offer by the time I pulled out of the parking lot. The impression I got from the other temps is that they just decided to hire everyone, sack the temps who didn't work out, and keep the rest. They went through a lot of temps that way, but the ones they kept were mostly really good. Oddly enough, every single one of us is a complete rear end in a top hat, so I guess the temp agency failed in that regard.

Forgetting about the interview was the first of many warning signs about how irresponsible management in my department was, but I decided to stick with it anyway because the alternative was Best Buy and I'm glad I did. I actually have a career path now!

Management's lack of decision making knows no bounds though, we're set to go live on a new monitoring system this Friday.

And it's not complete yet.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 11, 2013

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
That I couldn't say, because the temp agency actually reached out to me from a resume I put up on monster and had completely forgotten about.

The truth is that I'm god awful at the job search thing, and that I got really, really lucky by falling into the perfect storm of miscommunication, laziness, and incompetence in management to land a position I was under-qualified for and worked my way up. In that sense, there's no reason any other retail worker can't be just as lucky.

While I was still a temp, I continued looking for full time work and was able to be picky because I had a temp job that paid pretty well with a high chance for temp to hire. What I found is just by flooding monster and dice, the vast majority of the postings on there were actually filed by temp agencies working for the company, instead of you reaching out to one to work the other way around. Also, just having that temp job helped me land a ton more interviews, and I had several job offers that I would have taken if I wasn't where I was already. It's just that the first step was the hardest for me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jerome Louis posted:

When taking conference calls at home, I'm completely terrified that my phone is lying to me when it says it's muted...

I've heard enough hilarious poo poo on open mics, and have been guilty of a few myself, I can't really judge people for loving it up.

My favorite was when someone said "Yeah, I don't need no woman" and started moaning. Turns out was talking about his back scratcher to a coworker. He didn't realize he had an open mic until the next day when my manager gave him a new back scratcher with a note about not needing women and walked away silently.

That manager was awesome, I miss him :(

e: You know what I can't stand? Assholes who put their calls on hold and subject everyone on the call to ear blasting hold music. There are way too many people who do that here during troubleshooting bridges.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 11, 2013

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

rolleyes posted:

This used to annoy the hell out of me too until we got Lync integrated with our IP phones. Now you can mute any caller if you're the conference owner or the conference owner has made you presenter. Ahhh, bliss.

I wish we'd do this but it's probably never going to happen. All of the bridges I'm on are troubleshooting for customer facing outages, and we end up having people calling from home or from their cell phones all the time.

Last month we were troubleshooting a VOIP issue and someone was too stupid to mute their phone and was echoing so bad nobody could say anything. I found it ironic that the guys troubleshooting VOIP issues didn't know how to mute their god drat phones when they weren't talking. We have Lync but nobody likes to use it for some reason and it's not really integrated with anything.

e: Also my director dials in on his cell phone while driving all the time. I know it's not a good career move to tell him to stop using his cell while driving but I want to do it anyway.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 11, 2013

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

sbaldrick posted:

This is the single worst part of being a temp agency, the half the way for the same work. Of course now I have a full time job at the same place for all the pay.

Also getting treated as sub-human scum. The temps also got a lot of "I'm not doing that, it's your job" with the simple stuff by everyone else, so I'd be getting swamped with work while everyone else sat around doing nothing waiting for something to happen. Then with the more complicated stuff, they'd dump it on the temps anyway under the guise of "training" even though I knew drat well how to do that thing.

It wasn't just me, it was a common problem with all the temps who worked here and only stopped once they brought on about eight temps to full time, and we finally had the leverage to tell people to do their god drat jobs themselves.

e:

Also Sundae I feel for you, and I hope I never have to put up with your bullshit. My problems don't even begin to match up, holy poo poo. Best of luck to this bullshit, I know I would've snapped and mouthed off that bitch of a manager a long time ago if I were you.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 11, 2013

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Okay, again, not as bad as Sundae or Pleads or some of the other poo poo in this thread but here we go.

During my orientation on July 8th, I was told that any employee hired after June 1st would roll over their personal time to next year instead of getting paid out for it like everyone else. I intentionally never used what I was given because I wanted to roll it over to next year. On the 5th of this month we accrued our new time, and of course mine didn't roll over properly.

The 5th was Thursday. I work 10 hour shifts, Sunday through Wednesday. Early, Sunday I saw the problem and E-Mailed HR about this gently caress up and planning to follow up on Monday. Monday, I get no response. I call in the afternoon, nobody picks up, I leave a voicemail for callback. After Monday, I called twice a day leaving voice mails every time and didn't get a single response. Today was the last day of the week, so I id gently caress it and I started calling random HR reps.

I finally got through to one of them who turned out to be the HR rep who did my orientation as a new hire. She had no idea what I was talking about until I started quoting the employee handbook. She told me that she was going to talk to payroll. Oh look, payroll isn't at their desk, I'll get an answer for you before you leave today and call back before the end of the day. I tell her I leave at 4:30, and that I'll call her at 4:20. So 4:20 rolls around, I call...no response, I leave a voice mail with a callback number, didn't get called back so I know this is done for the week.

It's a little thing, but holy poo poo what would happen if I had an actual serious issue? Isn't HR supposed to at least attempt to give off the allusion that they're there for the employee? If this doesn't get fixed by next paycheck I'm going to get paid out for my time which I very much don't want.

They also hosed up my personal time in that I was given 24 hours of it. We're supposed to get 3 days, so I should get 30 hours. I was told by a supervisor that our management is already working on getting that fixed, but I'm prepared to have that supervisor get everyone's fixed except mine because I'm not on his shift (He's done that exact same thing before). This is the same supervisor who told me once that my generation is lazy and so we don't deserve social security but yes I should pay for his when he retires because his generation works harder, and today he told me I don't have the right to be disappointed that I'm not eligible for the holiday bonus check because it's a gift and nobody is entitled to it. I wasn't even complaining about it either, I was just telling another co-worker who got hired on the same date as me that we weren't eligible because we didn't have the required time with the company.

I know none of this is really that big of a deal but it adds up after a while and I'm getting frustrated at the godawful communication and the lack of engagement by those who are supposed to help me. If all of my PTO gets settled correctly, I'll have almost twice what I have now and it's important to me dammit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Harry posted:

HR and payroll departments are generally pretty loving stupid so it's pretty par for the course. The one thing you need to do is make sure you're actually talking to someone who matters and can do something. I wouldn't waste my time talking to a new hire trainer.

Pleads posted:

How big is your company? That is some hilarious hoops you have to jump through even to just talk to someone to get them to ignore you.

It's a massive company flooded with tons of Bureaucracy. Also HR was the first target of a massive wave of layoffs not too long ago so they're also short handed. Before the layoffs, our assigned HR person was really good, always picked up her phone and always called you back if she said she would. She got shuffled around and can't actually do anything to help me anymore, sadly.

We're also spread across three states and have hundreds of buildings. There's no actual new hire trainers because the new employees are so spread out geographically, all the regular HR people just take turns doing orientations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Defenestration posted:

The sooner you learn that HR is there to protect the company, not you, the better.

Find the one HR rep who can still feel personal shame and show up at their office door.

Which is why I said "attempt"

...I don't have physical access to the part of the building where our one HR rep is as well :(

e:VVVVVVVVVVVV

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

At my company three days in a row of no call no show is grounds for termination unless you've got a drat good reason.

Despite all the bullshit my company puts people through, if you put it on the time off calendar and inform (not ask) your supervisor that you're going to be gone they will not gently caress with it unless there's genuinely an emergency situation. Obviously they're going to be unhappy if you decide to use all your time off at once and disappear for a month or decide to take a week long vacation and not tell anyone till the Friday before (or only tell one person and not any of your employees leaving them wondering where the hell you went :argh:)

All that being said, they just asked if anyone can work over Christmas for OT pay on top of holiday pay. I have to admit I pondered changing my flights to get in a couple days of work over the holiday shutdown, but decided it wasn't worth it.

Same here. There's a "WELP TOO BAD" policy regarding PTO. It's yours so you use it and as long as you you follow the rules regarding notification, they can't say no for sick and personal, only vacation.

We've been hosed over pretty hard before from it but oh well. There's always someone willing to work some extra OT as well. Also I requested to work Christmas because 3x pay for working on holidays, why thank you may I have another?

Renegret fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 12, 2013

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

bytebark posted:

I'm a part timer with a government agency. Tomorrow is our "Office Olympics," an all-day event featuring opening skits by the different teams employees have been divided up into and then a variety of games (+ a potluck lunch) until an early dismissal at 3p, after which a happy hour commences at a nearby bar.

Leading up to this has been three days of playing "assassins," which is where the teams try to "assassinate" people by placing post-it notes on their chair/coffee cups/loose documents indicating various methods of death (poisoning, electrocution, bombing). If the person finds the post-it note unexpectedly (i.e., doesn't have someone else sweep their desk before they sit down) they "die" and become a zombie (who can still conspire to kill targets). If a person is standing you can also use a designated beach ball to "kill" them, but you can only use the beach ball for five minutes. Because I'm part time I only unfortunately got to see one day of this. Lots of hilariously tense moments during the hours of play (first and last hours of the workday). My boss's boss and I got into a nice little standoff when I was trying to stick a post-it note to the back of his chair while blocking him into his office.

So needless to say I don't get the perception that government workplaces are lifeless and only drones work there. They would have never done anything like this at the two corporate places I worked at previously and it showed - those employees were drones and/or obviously miserable.

This actually sounds like it could be a decent amount of fun. Also I can get behind any event that lets me be a dick to my coworkers.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

naptalan posted:

I posted earlier in the thread about Janet, the horrible lady who works for our supplier. There have been some changes to our documentation procedure that basically mean my coworker Emma and I have to send Janet a lot of emails about invoices. Janet has been growing progressively nastier in her emails, especially to Emma, who is still very new to documentation; Janet sees every tiny thing she does wrong as a sign that Emma is totally unsuited to the job and/or actively trying to piss her off. Last week I sat down with my boss and outlined all the ways that Janet has been abusive and hostile to staff at our company, and that it was completely unacceptable. He agreed, but said he wasn't in a position to change anything.

So anyway, yesterday we were chasing up a customer payment and Jane was copied in on an email thread where Emma mentions Janet's company, something like "please refer to attached from Smith". Smith is also Janet's last name (she's married to the owner). This morning we receive an email:

When I saw this, I was in an awful mood - I found out yesterday that my mother has lung cancer, and coming in this morning to see Janet bullying my coworker over a nonexistent issue yet again and knowing there would be absolutely no repercussions... well, it was just a lovely way to start the day. If you ignore her, she doesn't get bored and go away, she just adds "too lazy/stupid to respond to emails" to the list of future insults. So I replied.

I know it's snarky and immature but christ, it was so cathartic to send, even if it did result in more wildly abusive emails. :v: I won't bore you with the rest of the email conversation, but here's the highlight:

I replied one more time after that email (with a lot less snark than my first reply, for the record) and she hasn't sent anything since. My boss saw the whole email thread and called me in for a meeting this afternoon - I was worried I'd get in trouble but he actually praised me for my professionalism. :pwn: I guess next to Janet, anything looks good.

I've never dealt with outside vendors or supplies so I can't really offer any advice, but it's exactly because of that inexperience I could safely say I would've flipped my poo poo on that bitch a long, long time ago.

e: Seriously, just reading about Janet puts me in an awful mood.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 21, 2013

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Our old manager was planning a redesign of the room, and it had just gotten started when he found himself a new job and left. Nobody was left in charge of it and it became a giant clusterfuck.

The plan was to remove the offices in the back, and replace the half cubes with rows of desks so that we'd have more desk for people to sit, since we were running into space issues where we had more employees than desks, as well as a corporate mandate to share our space with other troubleshooting groups so we could work more closely together. By removing the office, we could fit an extra row of desks.

When the contractors came to remove the wall to the office, they found immovable structural supports in the wall, as well as all of the ethernet for the room. So they left the wall there, but punched a hole in the middle of the wall and replastered it. Then they installed the new desks anyway, but couldn't fit the new row.

So what we have now are flat, uncomfortable rows of desks with no net increase of seats and a hole in the wall that I have no doubt we spent millions on. The plaster on the hole in the wall is falling apart as well, and the corners have cardboard taped to it so nobody cuts themselves on it.

Also the desks are too high and don't have rounded edges, so I go home every day with bruises on my arms from leaning on them too much. And six months later, over half of the patch panels stopped working as well and nobody knows who's responsibility it is to fix.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Good has dedicated nap rooms for their employees.

I want a nap room. We should be more like Google and have a nap room.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Welp, there was a major change in Holiday pay and I'd love everyone's opinions on this. We are a critical 24 hour operation so we don't shut down for holidays.

Old way of getting holiday was as follows:

3x Pay if you're scheduled to work on the holiday. You can take the holiday off if there's enough staff to cover you, you don't use PTO but you only get regular pay. If you're not scheduled to work, you get 3x pay on your first day back. (The 3x is Holiday + Double time for OT)

New way is:

If you're scheduled to work, you get your 3x pay or can take the day off if you'd like. If you're not scheduled to work, you're forced to take a floating holiday, basically take any day off within that pay period. No 3x pay on your first day back after the holiday. Also, for the shift that is working, they want to force one person to take that day off due to reduced staffing needs (but you can take an alternate holiday anyway, so basically one person gets a free day off).

I really can't get mad at this myself. We were the only department who had 3x pay on our first day back after a holiday. The whole point of getting OT on a holiday is to reward you for working on the holiday anyway. The change puts us in line with the employee handbook and the rest of the departments in the company.

At the same time, I'm missing out on a lot of potential income because the 3x pay during the holiday season comes out to a lot of money. I'm getting annoyed at my coworkers complaining and I think it's completely okay for management to do this but I know better than to rock the boat and go against popular opinion. They're saying that management has no right to do that and it's illegal, which I find amusing because management can do whatever the hell they want.

The only thing I don't think is okay is forcing one person to take off who's regularly scheduled, but I'm pretty sure that's allowed as well.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 15, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

HipGnosis posted:

after reading this thread and working in corporate environments for 6 years I'm amazed any business stays afloat at all ever.

This.

Every day I work I'm shocked that our product even works.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sundae posted:

Ladies and gentlemen... my workplace.

Manager: "We're going to have our performance review soon, but I just wanted to share some feedback on your previous year's work from [two VPs and the site manager]."

Me: "Oh?"

Manager: "Yeah... they had some significant complaints with your handling of [investigation that wasn't handed to me until 83 days into its life-span, when it finally got so bad that it shut production down]."

Manager: "You see, they felt that you weren't responsive enough and that you were too risk-averse in your handling of it. They needed production up ASAP, and you made them wait while you ran five batches [two shifts of work, plus two days for analytical results] to confirm you had the right root cause."

Me: "This is a problem why?"

Manager: "You need to be less risk-averse. You need to run production at risk and let them produce more. You need to be part of the solution and not part of the problem, Sundae."

Me: "So to confirm: By requiring due diligence and not permitting production to make [product] at risk while we performed the investigation, they believe I'm part of the problem?"

Manager: "In a nutshell, yes. It's going to be a negative mark on your performance review."

Me: "Even though I still finished a complicated investigation and reached root cause in under a week, in spite of Operations holding onto it for 83 days before even contacting me to say they had a problem?"

Manager: "You need to be more proactive and take risks."

I don't want to take medication anymore.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Pleads posted:

I can say that if I handed in my resignation right now I would likely be taken off my active projects and asked to spend the last 2 weeks documenting all the things I do, because they did not exist when I was hired and do not exist now.

It is my dream to be in a situation like this so I can proceed to not do said documentation, or do a lovely or incomplete job on it out of spite.

What are they going to do, fire me?

Too bad on my current track that'll never happen, but a man can dream, right? :smith:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

corkskroo posted:

You know who else does it? Departments that don't serve the main function of large corporations. Your company owns a chain of huge hospitals? But you're on a team that designs critically important brochures and posters? Yeah, no one knows the process for getting those things done once the people doing it leave. Sure, Apple has documented how to make an iPad. But probably not the weird peripheral support groups.

Yeah, it's the little things really.

The guy who handled our paging system up and left for another company. Nobody knows how or where it's administered from, and who the point of contact from the cell company was for troubleshooting.

One day it stopped working and it was a god drat nightmare to get fixed. In the grand scheme of things it's not important, but it was still vital to getting poo poo fixed in a timely manner.

The entire company switched mobile contracts and I'm glad they decided it's a good idea to set up a new system with somebody in charge.

We're not so much talking about Apple forgetting how to make an iPhone, it's more like the guy who set up the network for some satellite site left and nobody knows the passwords to any of the switches, stuff like that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Xandu posted:

My industry doesn't really deal with unions, so it almost never comes up, but someone happened to mention unions recently and my god, the dislike of unions in the corporate world is really amazing.

Only thing this is missing is that 2 minutes in, my (large) meetings always get interrupted by someone demanding everyone not speaking mute their phones before we can continue. Which results in half the people muting their phones, and then forgetting they're muted when they try to speak, and at least 30% of the time, the person whose phone is making the noise doesn't bother to mute it.

Oh god this.

Also instead of muting, putting your phone on hold and subjecting everyone on your awful hold music.

e: Also to elaborate, when poo poo breaks I often have to drag certain departments into a troubleshooting bridge. One of the departments works with all of our hardware and the entire building becomes an EMI hotbox because of all the equipment stuffed in there. As a result, whenever they have an unmuted phone, all you can hear is static and this weird BANG BANG BANG sound in the background, and none of them know how to mute a god drat phone. (Same department is usually guilty for putting people on hold, when you have an outage in your remote site, you are the only person in the building, you have one phone, all of the EMI causes your cellphone to not work, and you have four people trying to call you to ask you why you didn't fix the broken thing yet when you don't even know what's broken yet, it's pretty easy to make a phone related mistake)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 28, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tony Montana posted:

edit: /\/\ haha there is a bridge up, jump in there while I get a coffee. Be there in a sec

There was always someone who controls the call, who set up the 'bridge' as we'd call it and they'd have the ability to mute individuals. If there was some bullshit going on everyone would be muted individually and the culprit identified and then you'd get seriously dressed down. Conference calls were so constant and ubiquitous that we all had great Cisco phones and headsets (so you could keep using your PC on a call) and there was very little patience and tolerance for bullshit.

The older managers were especially brutal, it's not like haha they're old and they don't know how to use the tech. Anyone with a thick accent would be mercilessly sent to Lync as well, nobody is being racist by we're not all sitting here trying to work out what you're saying, sorry mate.

It was quite a culture shock. Any time an outsider joined it was usually terrible.

I'm usually the "leader" as the person who sets up the phone, but once I do that I sadly never have any control of the call. I only put it up because sometimes the SMEs will have to call in from a cell or remote site and can't sit there administrating it. Plus I'm the first point of contact for poo poo that breaks, so it allows me to get it open and start getting support groups together looking into it even if the SMEs aren't present yet.

I wish we'd integrate our phones with Lync, if someone's echoing or has tons of background noise there's nothing I can do to mute them and we just have to put up with it since yelling never works. I find this kind of ironic since one of the services we offer is VOIP so you'd think we'd be ahead of the curve. In the worst case scenarios, I have four bridge numbers we can use, we abandon one and hop on another and pray that the echoing person isn't at their phone.

(I have no idea what the difference between a bridge and a conference is, if any, but generally we use the term bridge for an unplanned troubleshooting call, and conference for a meeting with people far above my pay grade)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sundae posted:

We use WebEx and have to charge each session fee to our personal accounts, then request reimbursement from the company. I refuse to host any teleconference meetings (everything I host is in person) as a result of this. I also refused to accept a company phone when the company stated that I was responsible for the bill and had to file for reimbursement each month, and that if I left the company for any reason, I was responsible for termination fees / continued contract costs as I deemed suitable.

I don't get how anyone could think this is even remotely acceptable for a company to do. Why the gently caress am I the only person at the company willing to refuse? gently caress no, I'm not paying my employer's bills. I wouldn't do it even if they didn't have a net-90 reimbursement time for expenses. (They reimburse expenses quarterly and stick you with the bill until they get around to paying it.)

It hurts me every time you post. I die a little inside.

Hell, one of my coworkers used to be a field tech so he had a company phone. Even though he transferred departments and isn't supposed to have one anymore, he's been fighting to keep it since it still comes in handy from time to time.

In the middle of all this fighting to make him give back the phone, the entire company switched mobile carriers. They paused from their fighting to issue him a new phone, only to go back to trying to convince him to relinquish it. It was comical, to say the least.

(He eventually won out in the end and got to keep it)

e: The funniest part about all this is that the new carrier is the mobile section of our #1 competitor.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Keetron posted:

New amazing thing: recruiter from my company contacted me through LinkedIn for an amazing opportunity with my company. Which I already work for.
Probably a better job though, so let's see if I can string him along.

Haha, that's great.

I worked with a temp once who got contacted by a different temp agency for a different department in the same company. He told me it was a really awkward phone call with the second agency at first. He ended up pursuing that second position because it paid more, he didn't get the job then my department let him go shortly after.

Not every story has a happy ending :(

(It wasn't retaliation, my department already had plans to drop him and my supervisor was trying to help him get into that second position because he knew what was going to happen)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Pleads posted:

I know it's mostly the only thing I post about, and I know the answer is "go elsewhere" (have started applying), but my salary negotiations stalled and died yesterday after my boss told me that they had a range available for the compensation in my new position, then told me they would not be offering more than the bare minimum of that range. Gave me the range they had available, and told me he would not offer more despite their offer being the bottom number of that range.

I just kind of stared at him.

I don't think anyone will judge you for posting about money because let's be honest here, money is the only reason why any of us work in the first place.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tony Montana posted:

It turns out this guy was a loving pioneer radio engineer and designed and built much of the infrastructure used in commercial aircraft back in the day. He told me, without rambling on either, about the work he did and it was mindblowing. Eventually I had to get back to it and I left, this amazing little man with more engineering ability in his little finger than I'll ever have.. in his room.. in silence.. alone.. in the middle of his huge chair. As I closed the door behind me I realized how we all end up in the end and it was loving heartbreaking.

This is the saddest thing in the world and now I feel slightly uncomfortable.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

handbanana125 posted:

and will routinely hijack meetings to talk about how he thinks the company needs to have mandatory gym time.

poo poo, if he's willing to pay me for gym time during normal work hours I will be happy to comply.

If not, he can get hosed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Management at my department don't bother telling temps they're fired until after they go home the day before. They have the temp agency give them a call at the end of the day and say "yup, you're not wanted anymore, bye." Technically the temp jobs here are temp to hire, so the poor guys are sitting there working their asses off trying to impress enough to get full time, then they wake up the next morning unemployed. (I have fantasies where I tell my manager to man the gently caress up and do the dirty work himself instead of hiding behind the supervisors/temp agencies for delivering bad news but of course I'm not dumb enough to do that)

I don't care how you look at it, it's hosed up. Some of these people have families to take care of and a little bit of advanced notice goes a long way. It's not like it's a last minute decision by management, they know they're going to let them go but don't bother telling them.

I had a bit of schadenfreude when two temps quit on the same exact day with no notice from a shift that only had 3 people to begin with, for a job that's supposed to have 4 people. I did my part by refusing to provide coverage. I hate how there's this double standard that you're expected to provide the company two weeks notice (even as a temp!) but they don't provide the same courtesy to all of it's employees. It's actually in my contract that I don't have to provide any prior notice before leaving, but can you imagine what would happen if a full time employee actually did that?

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 21, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Harry posted:

I've never heard of an expectation for temps to give notice.

They are here considering temps are treated like cheaper full time employees that the company doesn't have to pay benefits to.

There was actually a point in time where there were so many temps, that if all the temps just up and left at the same time the department would be completely unable to function from lack of manpower. At it's worst, we had 6 full time employees and 12 temps.

When I was on the overnight and still a temp, we had 3 temps and one full time on the shift. The overnight supervisor had inoperable throat cancer and was constantly calling out (before he eventually went on indefinite medical leave*) and the full timer had a new born baby daughter, so it wasn't uncommon to have 3 temps holding down the department all by ourselves.

*He survived and is back to work part-time after seven months of chemo. It was looking pretty grim for a while.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

NomNomNom posted:

Snow in the DC region today has me wondering, how do other companies handle inclement weather? My current company's policy is work from home or take a day of personal leave in conditions prevent you from making it into the office (sucks for the people who don't have work issued laptops).

Company policy is come in or use PTO to stay home, UNLESS there's a state of emergency declared in your area, in which you have the option of staying at home but not getting paid. I'm not sure how it works for people who have the option of working from home, because most people aren't able to do so.

That being said, we're a 24 hour critical operation so it's really important that people actually come in. I don't know if it's a company wide thing, but my director offers to put us up in a nearby hotel on the company's dime if the weather's really bad so we can make it in, which is really nice and convenient. Almost took that offer for last night except they slashed our forecast to almost no snow and it wasn't necessary anymore. (I have one of the worst commutes in this department, and I also drive a tiny car that gets stuck in mere inches of snow so I get preferential treatment when it comes to hotels)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 3, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
So I did my goals my 2014.

And by that I mean my supervisor E-Mailed me what my personal goals should be, and I copy pasted them into whatever system we use for "Employee Growth".

On one hand, it seems to go against the spirit of the new goal system they rolled out.

On the other had, it made it really easy to do, and the goals amounted to "Continue doing what I'm already doing" which just makes it easier for me at the end of the year.

e: It's also worth nothing I set my goals while on a phone call for a different outage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's hard to say for sure, but I'm thinking that you should just stick her name in BCC for every email until she asks you to stop.

Yes, passive aggressive e-mail spam is my favorite thing in the world.

We rolled out a new internal tool here that everybody hates. Every day we'd compile all the bugs and issues we ran into, and e-mail them to the developers for investigation. The developers made believe they didn't see the e-mail and insisted that the tool was working perfectly, and a few weeks went by without any acknowledgment.

Eventually we got fed up and started e-mailing each individual instance of a particular bug to them as it occurred, which ended up being every single ticket we created. After about two hours of this they told us that they started working on a fix and for god's sake stop with those blasted e-mails.

(A week later they rolled out the fix which broke it even more, they rolled it back and have since given up on it. Yes these are contractors.)

e: Also it's worth mentioning that this bug was incorrect times being put into tickets, marking the create time 10 minutes later than it should have been. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal except management refused to acknowledge the issue as well and they started pulling metrics on us to see if we were below the 15 minute SLA. So just from tools misreporting we looked like we were doing really lovely, when in actuality the numbers were very comfortably within our SLA.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 9, 2014