Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My company is reorganizing two departments, moving some of the workload from one to the other to allow more specialization. I've been hoping this means the department getting the additional work would have new manager jobs open to support the additional people.

But I can't apply because these new roles are closed postings only available to the people in the affected department. (I currently support said business unit in a coaching and training standpoint and already am involved in a lot of leadership team activities.)

I'm so frustrated. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

momtartin posted:

Well gently caress, I didn't get the job I interviewed for two weeks ago. This is the 7th interview I've had in the last 5 months that hasn't landed me a new job. I gotta wonder if I'm doing something wrong in the interviews, or if I just have poo poo luck. Are mock interview services worth looking into? I legit need out of my job because I'm loving miserable there.

Have you asked the people you've interviewed with for any feedback?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Is that an internal interview? Did they actually know what you're making now or is that just a coincidence ? It would be weird for HR to have the final say-so on salaries, they can be overruled if you impress the right people. Keep putting off numbers until they put forward an offer and go from there.

Seconding this. I had an offer for a job that was a payband a step below mine and I still got a raise out of it because I knew I impressed the hiring manager and balked at the HR rep offering flat.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Sydin posted:

Yeah ever since the cubical thief and VP ending WFH stories wound down the thread needs a new trainwreck to follow.

Got any links for these? I only started following this thread recently.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Tnuctip posted:

Corporate fail: i turned in an expense report that didnt include any alcohol. Granted that i had all my drinks bought for me, but still im a little ashamed.

My company stopped covering alcohol as a travel expense (unless entertaining customers) a few years ago so I'm 100% out of pocket on that :mad:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ever have your boss get defensive and shut your suggestion of addressing an issue using the problem-solving methodology we train other business units on that it makes the working session uncomfortable for the rest of your team?

Because that happened today and now I get to debrief with my boss about it tomorrow.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The Sean posted:

You're probably correct, but be careful about how you approach this if your boss got defensive about you saying this in front of other people.

I didn't see this before the call, but I was definitely very deliberate to use "I feel/felt" statements during the debrief and ask if I was not making my points clear.

The call didn't go well at all though. She was completely defensive, wasn't hearing me out, and said I was out of line for not falling in with the "team decision" to handle the problem another way. (The team didn't decide anything - it was what she wanted to do the whole time and steamrolled us on.)

Working under a lovely leader sucks.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The Sean posted:

Well, lesson learned. I could be softer with my wording but it's early: in the "conversation" you had with your boss, conversation is a euphemism. It wasn't about "working things out" or "clarifying your points and having an equal dialog to get the work done in the best way possible." It was a monologue from your boss directing you to stop doing what you are and get you to agree with their direction and apologize for ever not having the same views that they do. There are good bosses out there, but by default you should assume that an honest conversation is not happening.

I'm calling back a while to this, but it hit the nail exactly on the head with what happened. I even tried today to ask for her blessing on myself and a teammate who was passionate about the issue to utilize the methodology we use to address the problem completely on our own time. That was again shut down because "it's not a good use of our time" and reaching out to the directors we need feedback from "isn't a good use of their time either". It would have been a two question email.

I'm updating my resume.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I'm calling back a while to this, but it hit the nail exactly on the head with what happened. I even tried today to ask for her blessing on myself and a teammate who was passionate about the issue to utilize the methodology we use to address the problem completely on our own time. That was again shut down because "it's not a good use of our time" and reaching out to the directors we need feedback from "isn't a good use of their time either". It would have been a two question email.

I'm updating my resume.

So today during a meeting my boss brought up the problem we were trying to solve, saying she wanted a draft ready for a meeting with the directors Thursday. Then offhandedly mentions how "we can ask them any questions we might have". t:mad:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Unless you're personal friends with the owner, never take the counter offer.

Yeah this. You're leaving for a reason right?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm the guy who posted about getting shut down hard when suggesting an alternative to what my boss recommended where she got super defensive and let me know in no uncertain terms I "need to get on board".

Yesterday I got tapped on the shoulder by a director about an opening in his department. Then today met with the director who has a current opening closed to a business unit affected by a re-org. There's apparently not a viable candidate there and it might go to a full open posting like I had hoped. And it's looking like I'm the prime candidate for both jobs :hellyeah:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Thought: HR people should be criminally liable for their gently caress ups just like engineers are.

Discuss :unsmigghh:

What kind of situation do you have in mind?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Renegret posted:

Luckily I'm pretty safe.

The not so secret part of the announcement is that they closed a whole bunch of local offices, most notably the call center, and are moving them here. So the new construction is for all the people displaced.

My office is already open :suicide:

Please tell me they're going to use open concept for the call center as well. It will be utter chaos :kheldragar:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Anyone else's company have an odd fascination with hiring ops directors for senior leadership roles?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

One of my tasks for the day: restate information contained in a Tableau report in a PowerPoint presentation.

Applied for the new job today. Feels amazing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Someone who wasn't on mute exclaimed "holy poo poo" during a recorded presentation today. (They at least moved away from the mic to where you couldn't hear all of "poo poo". But still hilarious.)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

gwarm01 posted:

I'm putting in a lot of unpaid overtime, taking work home, and doing my best to keep a project with impossible expectations on track. Surely that's worth an exceeds, right? My boss is fair, but I have no idea if our HR department has arbitrary policies like that to limit raises.

Hahahahahahha

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

In my experience, if you want a decent salary increase and any kind of career progression, you have to change job.

Same experience. Or be head and shoulders above the rest of your department and have the people you report to like you.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

It's quarterly survey day, and I've marked all answers as STRONGLY AGREE since my manager bitched us out for any less than perfect scores last time.

We had our annual survey last month. I wish I could be there when my boss opens her results :allears: She's completely oblivious to how frustrated everyone on our team is (almost all of us have updated our resumes this year).

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

What's going on to cause all the frustration? I need schadenfreude

I've posted about my direct run-ins with her before. But here's a list:
  • She will blow up meeting agendas with utter nonsense that wastes all of our time. This includes our annual team summit where everyone had 2-3 things they wanted to calibrate on and we got to maybe 1 or 2 of them total.
  • Ask us our opinion/thoughts on how to do something when she has already made a decision. So if we try to suggest something different (like I made the mistake of doing), we get steamrolled in front of our peers.
  • Be late for 1:1s or cancel them altogether.
  • Not listen to our concerns about feedback we're getting from our department leaders, actively squashing our concerns.
  • Has a weird almost mother/daughter relationship with one of our team members who is crazy and gets multiple complaints from the departments she supports (They apparently talk on the phone almost every day if not every.)
  • Along with the above, she tends to play favorites in general. In a year and half she's maybe recognized one of my peers once or twice at most.
That's just a few main ones off the top of my head. I have to go catch my flight to the office she's in for training this week. And I applied for another job last week (which she knows about). Should be fun :toot:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

:words: about terrible boss everyone is frustrated with

So I got into town and met a couple of peers for dinner. One told me she applied for another job and it turned out our calls to our boss to tell her were only days apart. :getin:

They're both also just DONE though. (Not all of it is our boss for the one who applied for another role fwiw.)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

One of my higher-ups engaged me in casual conversation whilst waiting for a meeting to start.
He asked me about my feelings about working for the company.

He was a little shocked that I used the words 'utterly disposable' and 'would be dumped at the drop of a hat if it were convenient' to describe my impression of how the company sees me.
He stopped talking to me when I compared me and my colleague's worth to that of the company's elderly laptops.

Most of the senior managment avoid me at meetings and he's now joined that list.

Why would you do this?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I had already applied for another role and the one I was originally gunning for is going to come open. Gonna escape my boss :hellyeah:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Work from home

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

Do I set my deliverables for this afternoon to a delayed email and gently caress off to a bar to watch the US v FRA match?

I have a mandatory team meeting during the game. I'm so pissed I can't sneak out to watch it.

Our team meetings are train wrecks too because boss will drone on about bullshit to hear herself talk and we never get to the agenda items we need to address.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I have a mandatory team meeting during the game. I'm so pissed I can't sneak out to watch it.

Our team meetings are train wrecks too because boss will drone on about bullshit to hear herself talk and we never get to the agenda items we need to address.

Good news: My boss didn't drone on so much.

Bad news: My two teammates (boss's favorites) did. Talking about stuff that should have been a 1:1 conversation with our boss because it didn't affect the rest of us. Or absolutely beating a dead horse to pieces. Both of them stopped to ask the group questions and each time got dead silence because everyone had zoned out.

Funny news: We got our team's Gallup survey results and my boss scored < 25th percentile on creating an open and trusting environment. :suicide:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh my God the thread title change :lol:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

SharePoint in my org ranges from "document library" to actual forms and information suites depending on budget and IT support basically.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Renegret posted:

Also the search feature is complete dog poo poo. It's hard enough finding a document that you know what it's called. Good luck if you're not sure what's something's called, and god help you if you're not sure if it even exists. Your document might be buried in between 30 time off requests from a year ago that I'm not sure why they're even viewable.

GODDAMMIT I was literally just dealing with this poo poo :mad:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Sundae posted:

"Why is this the first time I'm hearing this?" asks manager on seeing anonymous survey results that his department doesn't trust management.

Please keep us updated on your oblivious manager. It's my favorite type of story given it's what I'm dealing with now.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Hell is a permanent conference call

I'm sorry I was on mute

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My favorite is someone off mute dropping a "hooooly sh..." to interrupt a meeting.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all i want is this thread to play conferencecall.biz on loop

Thank you so much for introducing me to this site. It's amazing :allears:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Me: Hi pivot table, I’d like you to sort on column B, largest to smallest please.

Pivot Table: Well, I’d like you to go gently caress yourself

This. Also, "this type of chart is not available with PivotTables".

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Fierce Conversations training loving sucks. (Current stuck in a virtual session.)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The Sean posted:

Pretty cool that your Fierce Conversations training involves not conversations with another human being.

Oh we had 30 minutes of the two hour session to role-play :rolleyes:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

A preview of a weekly leader communication went out and a committee is making a power play to stay relevant in our new organizational model where they are involved in anything being worked on that overlaps business units.

(My $0.02 is the committee is obsolete at this point, but no one is doing anything about it.)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Corporate America: Convincing Tnuctip to do more work without more pay

I was going to quote literally the same two lines of his post you did, but didn't want to harsh his vibe :(

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Schmeichy posted:

Ahh feel-good story of the morning. Yesterday I got told to do more work somehow without overtime right before finding out a relative was dying. Some might say I'm stressed.

Sounds like you should take some personal time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Just was told that the old boss I fled for being unbearably awful is going to now be my bosses boss. I think I legitimately want to cry.

The Corporate Thread: My unbearably awful old boss is now my boss' boss.

Renegret posted:

We don't even list pay grades in our own internal postings anymore.

I'm way more likely to apply for a job with the pay range listed than one without. I don't get why companies do this.