Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoofyLM
Aug 3, 2007

Anal sex is teh sex of teh future
The manager (who I refuse to refer to as my boss) asks that I provide presentations, proposals, updates and statistics on any project I implement.

The first time he asked me for a written proposal I spent the entire day writing one up (12 pages to say "I'm building us a second website") sarcastically. He read it, scheduled a meeting for two days later (because the four decision makers who were all in the office at that time could not just turn around in their chairs) and informed me that he loved my style.

After that I pretty much just stopped caring. I haven't done much "real" work in months.

They hired a guy who does the "busy walk" and is completely useless.

I am struck with every buzzword ever, all day long.

After explaining how what they want is inefficient or impossible I am told to do it anyways. After getting it in writing I am yelled at for doing it months later when it's found to be a waste of money.

If I hadn't family obligations to this place I would burn it down and watch them all roast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoofyLM
Aug 3, 2007

Better than a bunch of non technical guys currently making decisions about the directions your website will be taking (signing us up with email marketing that will not work with our current store system, without consulting me...the guy who builds the web site).

I think they want the customer service guy to have my job. Fine with me, I'm about one snide holier-than-thou comment away from burning this bitch to the ground anyways.

GoofyLM
Aug 3, 2007

I'm pretty certain they're trying to replace me. That's ok, I have two soft offers from the area I'm moving to (one of which will allow me to go to school), earning 4-5x as much.

Downside? I'd be going from this shithole of 6 employees where even though I put up with any and all corporate sounding bullshit out there ("Operations Manager" was a former corporation suckdick) there is still the firm understanding that some poo poo just won't work without me, to a much larger company. It's why they're trying to "secretly" train the customer service guy in what I do. Because listening to me oversimplify programming concepts to a register jockey is almost the same thing as having years of experience.

I'm slightly afraid of what the big bad corporate world has for me, but who knows. Maybe when I actually earn what my job is worth and have days off I won't hate my life as much.

GoofyLM
Aug 3, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Are you me?!

I had to write up about several pages in documentation on the method I was going to use to reboot servers after patching them with the latest critical updates.

It was all I could do not to take a screencap of the start button and kick off some heroic prose "And thus did our hero's journey begin at the simple start button, who knew from this humble beginning...."

By the way there were two one hour meetings that week that kind of sat on the end of this like stupidity bookends.

I have since written training "manuals" that involve a single line. These are in a folder and clearly labeled and in need of printing a new copy from overuse.

GoofyLM
Aug 3, 2007

It turns out they have realized that the most basic part of my job is beyond them. I do not want to sound like I'm bragging so I'll explain: the part of my job that breaks their heads is the management of an e-commerce store based on the Magento cart system.

Now, I do templating and addon development for them, among other things, but what they can't grasp is the actual item and order management. This is data entry they can't do. And they want me gone after 7 years of underpaid and unpaid service because I don't go to their little church cult.

So they are attempting to outsource it to India.

GoofyLM
Aug 3, 2007

I was just asked to find some days to take off to keep payroll down. Apparently my five hour days are breaking us.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a new job.

GoofyLM
Aug 3, 2007

Working from vacation? I was asked to do work while I was at another job in the middle of BoondockFuckingNowhere USA. My boss knew I was on a fire, knew I had just gotten off a 40 hour shift (yes, 40, awake doing manual labor) and was turning in for the night. He called to ask about some insignificant item that they hadn't sold any of in years and how they could update its pricing online. At 11PM.

Last week I took a day off and received no fewer than "what's the password to ____" emails (the response to which is "It's in the loving password folder") and came back to find that he had somehow hosed our payment gateway settings up and it will be three more days until we can process credit cards online.

I wish I had more paid days off (or any, for that matter, I literally have 0 paid days off, and 0 sick leave hours, and 0 benefits, and a poo poo wage). As it is I'm working 7 days a week even on vacation (yay free wifi) at this job or freelancing just to get by. If I get seriously sick I'm done for.

GoofyLM
Aug 3, 2007

Miss-Bomarc posted:

I can't help but think there's a lot of playground bullshit in this thread, though. "We only get two weeks off!" "Oh yeah? Well, we only get one week off!" "Oh YEAH? Well, WE don't get ANY weeks off!" "That's nothing, WE don't even get SATURDAYS off!" "You think THAT'S bad? Wait till you hear what WE have to put up with..."
I literally get no vacation days, sick days or PTO of any sort. Most weeks I work 6 days for the company (I have a side business, so I technically work 7 days anyways) and they think I don't notice the lack of overtime on my paycheck. I know that's illegal but honestly - it's so far the least of my problems with that job that I don't even give a poo poo anymore.

I started working there as a favor to a good family friend, continued working there as a favor, and am now getting to the point where it's obvious they think they're better off with people from their church group and I think I'm better off getting paid what I'm worth.

This is the type of job that makes me romanticize manual labor.

EDIT:
Today I was asked to build a function my manager had just thought of for our ecommerce cart. A brilliant suggestion, he says. A way to circumvent the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) policies of our distributors, he says. I thought of it this morning, he says. He then showed me Best Buy's web site with the "Add to cart to see price" label instead of a price. His brilliant idea was something already in place by another company and, more importantly, something I built years ago for our store and have in writing been denied for implementation no less than three times over the years (including once by the current manager, no more than a year ago).

I told him it'd take about a week and he should clear it with the owner while I worked.

GoofyLM fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoofyLM
Aug 3, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

If you don't give a poo poo, turn the rear end in a top hat in. Who knows, an audit from the state might turn up all sorts of goodies.

You missed the part where he's a family friend. I am fully aware of my rights and the laws regarding this and am actively not giving a poo poo.

Honestly, while the back pay of OT for seven years would be a hell of a check it's just not worth the trouble. As I said before: everything else is what bothers me about the job. The piddly amount of OT I am missing any given pay period? Not really a problem, especially considering I haven't worked much OT in years (a Saturday or Sunday here or there) and I can pretty much make my own schedule the rest of the week.

There are small perks, like being senior to everyone but the owner means I can come in when I want, leave when I want and take days off without notice other than the email I decide to write once I wake up and realize I'm "30 minutes late". I get my shop work done free, rentals free and serious discounts on any products I decide to buy (these are not perks of the other employees, or even the current manager).

If it's late and he knows I haven't taken lunch he'll sometimes bring me in a deli sandwich and cup of soup, if he stops at a fresh fruit stand on the side of the road he always makes sure to bring me a basket. He's even called handy men to my house to fix things I didn't know how to fix and didn't have time to gently caress with because I was at work.

These are all little things that I consider to be "unofficial OT", and in general he's actually a nice guy. It's the new manager that's making the place real hell (the new manager and his church group employees are jealous of my "perks").

As I said: the OT isn't that important to me.