Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thunderbird_Wine
Aug 6, 2007

After saying that I'd never work in corporate many, many times in college here I am managing an entire IT environment that will completely poo poo itself if you so much as fart near the server room. Our ideas of cost saving include contracting with a company that doesn't understand what the big deal is when our T1 service goes down for 18 hours. Also we elected to buy a bunch of USB hard drives for nightly backups, instead of just paying the 120 bucks for a new SCSI card for our tape drive because it was legacy (seriously) hardware. Every time I hear "Cost Savings" or "Business Intelligence" I cringe.

At least I have an office

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbird_Wine
Aug 6, 2007

I figure this is a good a place as any to ask this, but my employer recently subscribed to a training website and gave everyone access. It has a good amount of reference material, but for any actual certification testing we still need to pay out of pocket and actually go take the exam.

On Friday as I'm walking out my new supervisor shoves a training agreement under my nose and asks me to sign before I leave. Now that they gave me access to the training materials, they want me to agree to having to pay back $6200 in training costs if I leave in 6-8 months, scaling down over the course of two years to where it would be $0.

I told him I would be deferring it until after the weekend as I have some concerns about it, but this doesn't seem right to me. Has anyone else here have to sign an agreement just for access to an LMS?