Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
http://www.ellenfryuu.com

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Sgt. Stryker didn't die for this : (

Minimum 4 weeks vacation, My God. That's almost enough to make me cry. I'm 22 years old and I have been working since I was 18. I have never had a single day of vacation or paid time off. Actually I got paid for one day when my Grandfather died. I remember coming into work that week and being an absolute mess.

My first job was with Whirlpool as a temp to hire. The hiring process took a year and a half. I didn't get vacation as a temp, instead I got 2 unpaid personal days. I asked for one of my personal days about two months in advance. A month after that, I was finally hired as a permanent employee. Permanent Employees don't get personal days, so I lost that. I was going to get a week of vacation after another year, so losing my day off didn't sting too badly. Six months later I get laid off, and six months after that I was recalled. My vacation accrual reset itself upon being recalled so I had to start the one year countdown all over again. I just ended up quitting a few months later. Three years of hard work with the company and not a single day of vacation.

I wasn't exaggerating about wanting to cry. The hopelessness of never having a month of vacation time, better wages, and health insurance I can actually afford is too much. Why aren't things getting better? In my short time with Whirlpool they eliminated 401k matching, tuition reimbursement, and turned the health coverage into a joke with a $5,000 deductible. I saw a doctor twice for a throat infection and got a bill for $600. I paid about $1500 in insurance premiums that year. With a different company, I was part of management and was required to notify my management if an employee came to me regarding a Union. I never did. In fact I spread information about unions to my employees. Soon after I was forced to attend an anti union meeting with other managers in the region.

This is by far the most depressing thread I have read in a while.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Tony Montana posted:

Do you still think America is the GREATEST NATION IN THE WORLD? Because from this thread I sure as hell don't. How the heck can you work three years without a day's vaction. That would be criminal here, literally.

I haven't thought the US was the greatest country in the world since I was 13. I've been wanting to emigrate to Europe for years. My German is fairly good, so why not? It's drat near impossible that's why. Do you have a sister that will be a part of a sham marriage? I'm stuck in this miserable hellhole until I die. I hate this country.

I worked three years without a vacation because I had no choice. If I didn't like it, well I could find another job. The problem is that every place is like this. You just have to accept it and hope the place burns down. Again, not exaggerating. The politicians are too deep into the corporate pockets and your fellow employees are brainwashed. Hearing somebody in my shoes tell me that they don't want a union blows my mind. The bullshit the hr manager spouted at the anti union meeting was unbelievable. Then you look around and see everybody nodding their head.

By the way, I've worked two jobs since I've left Whirlpool and I still haven't had a vacation or the prospect of one. I guess you can call the 6 months of unemployment living on $100 a week a "vacation". I liked not eating so I can keep my phone for job prospects, that was awesome.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Breetai posted:

Why not come to Australia?

I would be on a plane in a few weeks if Australia has a sensible immigration policy. The EU is hopeless. If the job search fails, I'll live a simple life in the desert.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 6, 2010