Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

FogHelmut posted:

This short cartoon sums up my life

http://www.businessinsider.com/cartoon-a-day-in-the-life-of-an-analyst-2010-4
This is fantastic.

I have managed to sum up my companies IT project strategy; "I have no idea what I want, you IT guys can't ask me what I want, but I will know it when you give it to me without any input from me or the end users"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Does anyone work with employees from India? If so, is the phrase "please do the needful" as universally hated as it is at my office?
many of our consultants use the term revert as well. As in "once you do the needful please revert back to us"

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Rustybear posted:

This is the truth. No matter how bad corporate bullshit gets remember that blue-collar stuff is way worse. Same high school politics only irregular hours, irregular pay, physical exhaustion and health problems.
Humping 90 or 105 pound bundles of a shingles up a 40 foot ladder so you can nail them to a roof in 100 degree heat with no shade is a horrible way to make a living. Sure, I bitch about stupid office poo poo and being an unappreciated drone, but then I realize that I am not sunburned and sweating while I bitch, and that I haven't seen anyone fall off of a roof or accidentally shoot themselves or a coworker with a nail gun in years.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

evobatman posted:

Now, for my question: Why, in the US, does your previous workplace have a say in whether or not you get unemployment? Do they have to pay for it?
My laymans understanding of it is that unemployment benefits are treated like insurance that is mandated and run by the government. If a company lays of a bunch of people that then go and collect unemployment, the companies unemployment insurance rates go up. There are a variety of reasons people can be denied unemployment, so if a company is trying to save money they will just challenge everyone's claim and hope that people either give up or lose there claim, that way the company avoids paying higher unemployment insurance rates.

The rules vary from state to state, but I am pretty sure this is how it works for most areas.