Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Just reading this thread has made me feel like I must be the luckiest son of a bitch in the entire world with my job. :smug:

Sure, I work in a niche area of marketing (:negative: - but it does involve boats, which is cool), but I joined a startup a year ago, own 5% of the company, I wear whatever I want every day (except on days where I meet clients), I'm a head of department have a team of 6 people under me so I literally delegate EVERY single piece of work I have to do, my contract stipulates I can work 3/4/5 day weeks for differing amounts of wage, and when I do work 5 day weeks I'm making probably twice as much as all of my other professional friends. Except the guy who's a doctor. I don't ever have to use SAGE or any other timekeeping thing, ever - as long as the clients are happy, all is A-OK.

Seriously, having shortage skills and a combination of sales skills and technical skills means you can basically demand whatever you like! Plus, I'm the second in charge of the whole company, so I don't get hosed every conceivable way every single day - I simply inflict that on my team members! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

astrollinthepork posted:

I hope you choke.

That was a joke, man! I basically tell them what needs done at the start of the week, and then totally leave them alone to get along and do their thing unless they gently caress up badly and a client complains to me about it. That is the extent to which I manage them, because at my last job I swore I would never be as much of a douchebag as my line manager was to us; letting the " vertical strategists" gently caress with us at will and ruin our work schedules because they can't keep on top of their Outlook calendars.

Then I got a new line manager who would take absolutely no poo poo from anyone higher up who tried to gently caress with anyone on her team. She will never get promoted again because of this, but I loved her. I think I always will. :allears:

Baggins posted:

Go gently caress yourself, unless you're hiring!

Move to Scotland, and we'll see!

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Least favourite thing about working in an office: Revenue Projections.

Client: We need you to estimate how much extra revenue the improvements you are going to make will bring in.
Me: OK, we'll do that. Bear in mind all this stuff has a bedding in period and it's an estimate ONLY.
Client: OK, that's fine!

*creates projection, sends to client*

Client: No, that's nowhere near ambitious enough!
Me: But if you put higher figures in, it simply isn't going to happen!
Client: I KNOW that, but I want to show my MD good figures. Fudge it up, say, 2.5x in a guess.
Me: OK. But I need to let you know that this is NOT what we are saying is going to be the estimated revenue, and I'm going to write that on the sheet and lock it. I frankly think the figures you're asking for are totally impossible.
Client: Ok, that's fine!

6 MONTHS LATER (timeshift effects etc.)
Client: THE REVENUE FIGURES ARE WAY LOWER THAN WHAT YOU SAID THEY WOULD BE AND WE'RE SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING OUR FUTURE RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR COMPANY
Me: :suicide: