Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Squashy Nipples posted:

Oh god, THIS...

I work for a finance company, so we are generally pretty dressy. However, they occasionally give us "jeans days" as a loving reward!!! How utterly patronizing, it feels like high school to me when they do that.

Even worse, last summer they gave us "jeans days all summer long". Except that, we have frequent client visits, so that means you have to dress up for those days. So, they published a schedule of client visits on the intranet, so you could look up to see the exceptions to the all-jeans policy.

I don't even wear jeans. On jeans day, I wear my slightly-more-casual khakis.

gently caress yeah prep school represent'n ITT.

I'm actually working in asset management this summer and I was browsing the company's employee website--charity "denim days." Yeah, that's right. Remember how you could pay a few bucks to wear jeans instead of slacks to high school? Same idea, except in high school I actually wore jeans occasionally. I now find that cords fit the same bill (in between casual khakis and sweatpants/athletic pants) and are significantly more comfortable. Maybe too warm for the summer though. Vinyard Vines (a brand with which I'm sure you're acquainted) has some great, thin casual khakis that are perfect for the summer, as does J. Crew.

I wonder if I still give to the charity on denim days, if I don't wear jeans...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

melon cat posted:

- Being forced to work with Windows 2000 (yeah, you read that right) and IE 6 because the IT department doesn't feel like doing a bit more work.
Amen to that.

It could be worse.
Much worse. As in, I had a winter program at a consulting firm that exclusively used Vista. Not just any Vista, but a Vista that probably hadn't been updated since it came out of the box. Running on some Compaq pieces of poo poo with monitors straight out of 1994 and a server that would go down randomly several times a day. I don't know how anyone got anything done.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
Just had my 2nd/3rd round interviews at a medium-sized (about $300 bn AUM) asset management company and I gotta say I'm liking the corporate culture there. 40-hour weeks for interns, compared to a fuckin bazillion (60+) for Goldman, J.P., and the other big fish that wouldn't give a puny non-minority sophomore interviews (that's not racist because most of the big fish have minority-only sophomore programs).

Great location, business-casual attire (I was the only one in the office wearing a suit besides the client-facing folks), and everyone seemed friendly. The building was a happy medium between my last job (which was relatively spartan by ) and some gold-plated monstrosity like you'd find on Wall Street. And my (potential) future bosses seem pretty chill, even if one is one of those insane quant types that don't speak English too well. The key to dealing with them, I found out in my last gig, is making sure they send a quick follow-up e-mail outlining the gibberish that you understood about half of in the meeting.

gently caress, I want this job. I can't take another summer in consulting.