Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My company instituted a 10% paycut til december for most folks due to anticipated business slowdown from the ‘rona and then about a week later announced record fy20q4 profits and a dividend a lot larger than what was expected. People are fuckin pissed.

I’m sure there is some bullshit business guy excuse for why but it’s a pretty lovely move regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Maybe a good time to start talking to your coworkers about unionizing.

I’m super in for that but sadly most engineers are way too brokebrain to unionize even while being crushed under the wheel of rampant capitalism.

There is a lot of pushback to HR now though and an all hands for my division that was scheduled for monday got pushed back to next friday probably so they can get their stories/excuses all ready to deploy in response to firey nerd rage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

But... but... think of the shareholders!

I’m almost positive the CEO will come back with some drivel about how employees own a substantial number of shares* and how this actually benefits the employees!

*majority of employee owned shares being the upper level executives of course but not mentioned.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

Something I was apparently misinformed about. They're apparently pairing this with massive layoffs despite my company being in one of the few industries that's undergoing massive growth right now, and the parent company continuing to go on acquisition sprees and increasing dividend payouts. I'm not personally getting laid off (nor are any of my folks), but that's pretty much the last straw for me.

So, uh, how does one filter for "ethical" (or, really, the closest thing to it that's actually possible in American capitalism) and "good company culture"? I don't exactly see those in the Glassdoor filter dropdowns.

Pretty much exactly what’s going on with my company (with the addition of using the pandemic as an excuse to cut already low salaries) and I’m sick of it.

They’re also making moves to reopen the office it seems like (I have been going in during mornings because I have lab work to do but it is nice and mostly empty) with a really limited plan that only includes hand sanitizer and cloth masks provided (1 per employee).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lockback posted:

At my old company our CEO said that we weren't getting raises, but in return let your family know that the company stock price directly helps their mutual funds in their 401ks, so it's like everyone is getting a raise!

lmao it is hilarious when the mask fully slips like that

people at my company who had never questioned the system before are all going "wait a minute" now, not that anything will come from it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My company decided to not expire last year’s vacation after the original May deadline after everyone scrambled to burn it up taking every other friday off etc. Thanks guys!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ve never worked in a slack shop but I imagine them to be an endless scroll of animated gifs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I would imagine the Minion GIF ratio would probably be a good way to rate the quality of these channels.

Number of minon memes is probably directly proportional to seniority level on the channel

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I know seniority of age and time with the company tend to track together, but I think it is important to distinguish which seniority you mean.

Haha, indeed

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shoulda adopted that Swatch decimal time they tried (.beats) in the late 90s :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

When we were told we were getting a 10% covid paycut we had a lot of people clamouring for “cutting deadwood” instead, but then the co announced a large dividend and this group realized it was just pure corporate bullshit anyway.

We have a business unit all hands today and I hope it gets fuckin spicy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It is always amazing to me how in a large webex (for our business unit today) there are so many people incapable of muting their microphones despite the VP begging them to. Didn’t get any toilet flushes this time though.

Does webex charge more for the ability to mute everyone except presenters or what, I will never understand why they don’t do that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

On the other hand I can understand where she’s coming from because I get asked the same poo poo over and over again from the same people and it gets really irritating.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I predict there will be a lot of mass migrations of people from lovely companies post pandemic, unfortunately mostly to other lovely companies.

Most of my coworkers are even now motivated enough to start applying elsewhere with how the company is slashing benefits and payroll while also getting huge quarters and giving out big dividends.

Need a site like glassdoor but that doesn’t suck.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah mine is 10% until December, with the CEO claiming people are emailing him to have their cuts go up to 20%, for the company!! It is to be repaid in RSUs in 2 year vesting but yeah I’d rather have the money now thanks.

Also the company announced much larger than expected dividends and people calculated that netted the CEO a cool $2mil so that’s awesome.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

But just think about how good the dividends are for those RSUs you Temporarily Embarrassed Millionaires don't have yet!

The quantities us plebs get the dividends will be maybe enough to buy a pizza. No one I work with holds the shares, it’s just all sell at vest. The whole spin as it being the employees “own” the company is hilarious, there’s no reason to with the voting rights or lack thereof etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m being pushed into managing projects and running meetings instead of just being a hardware designer/debugger and frankly I hate it and want to just being able to work on stuff instead of telling others what to do. (And I haaaaate having to check up on them because 90% of the time I do not like their reply to my asking what’s their status)

I’m just worried that this is really the only career path forward which seems to be the case :sigh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I yelled at a group of idiots who always congregate in the kitchen/hallway near my cube making a racket for an hour or so a day to shut the gently caress up (after asking nicely on an almost daily basis) and they complained to their manager that He did a swear!!

Jfc I hate working with toddlers

No social distancing or masks and they basically block the hallway, which I also remarked on but no mention of that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My corp issued guidance that things are doing way better than expected and the stock is up 12% today (of course after my espp auto sold yesterday) and yet no word that the pay cut in effect til december will be reversed. Yay!

Hmm maybe these execs are bad at forecasting or maybe they are just taking advantage of the situation to pry money out of employees :thunk: hmm

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Can we talk about how people who message you to ask a question with “Hi <name>” and wait for you to respond are the frigging worst.

just loving ask the question

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So triggered rn :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I ignore them until they ask whatever (*not including immediate manager)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I did a few coop terms at Nortel and there was the best acronym:

SONET
Hardware
Integrated
Test
System

The best part was the old rear end system it ran on had an amber CRT monitor that would scroll a massive ascii art text of “You’ve got.. The SHITS” (which was also burnt into the monitor by that point) The architect guy who implemented it gave no fucks, it owned.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

gwarm01 posted:

This post is triggering.

There's nothing I love more than having to navigate a seldom used process with an extremely convoluted set of rules and little to no documentation. Especially when the people running it get snippy about anything being out of order.

Lmao sounds exactly like our purchasing flow

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Got a company wide email regarding professional and personal use of social media and I’m dying to know what precipitated that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

My guess is the recent highly publicized firings of employees after doing/posting racist stuff in the middle of weeks of protests aimed at changing the culture of many racist organizations (i.e. most police departments).

Yeah it is most likely this, so not as interesting. People saying/doing dumb racist poo poo on social media and getting fired after is currently the top spectator sport (sorry esports)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

We did a round of layoffs this week. Not sure how many folks or in what areas, because everyone is being very circumspect about it.

Very good reminder that while people who work in those companies might be good people, companies themselves are trash and should not in any way be trusted, because they will gently caress you the second they get an opportunity to do so.

We're not going to pay bonuses, not give raises, lay people off, and still make literally billions of dollars.

We are taking pay cuts and no bonuses/raises and using attrition to cut costs while the company stock is rocking and they are giving out the highest dividends in years. It’s goddamn bullshit all over.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Midjack posted:

Lmao if you go to an office party unless it’s in furtherance of a political power play.

:agreed: I will go for a beer with some colleagues without work involvement but otherwise gently caress that poo poo. It’s more effort than it is worth to get out of the occasional team lunch though (which I am usually tasked with collecting the orders for :sigh:)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah yes the old ERGCPREAS

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

paternity suitor posted:

First, yuck at anyone wearing shoes in their own house

Not wearing shoes at work is excellent for cultivating an air of eccentricity

Be like that google X weirdo and just wear rollerblades everywhere :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just heard the term “managed out” and looked it up today (not me who was) and ohhh.

Corporate speak is weird.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think there are a lot of good bosses but by and large the vast majority (if not all) of corporations are garbage

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A hearty lol at IT doing a phishing test which most people failed by clicking a link then having an external company send out links to go to online training for people who clicked on the link. Is the test just to delete that email??

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

No one in my company from the execs on down has any interest in enabling video, thank god. Everyone puts a sticker over the work laptop camera too because we don’t trust IT.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We got the opposite email saying things were a lot better than forecast but still bad so no rolling back they pay cuts just yet.

They did announce bonuses though that may end up doubling back our pay cut monies though so that’s cool.

The folks who refused to sign on to the cut are now whining about “you said we weren’t going to be punished!” Tho, lol.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Our standard PC laptop, HP Elitebooks, has had a built-in sliding cover over the camera for a few years now.

Yah that’s a nice feature, my old T430 doesn’t have that and I don’t think the new dells people get have it either. For a while we were getting HPs!

I kinda both want my T430 to die and also want to keep it because it is one solid motherfucker.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It sucks being used to being in a mostly empty office and having more and more people coming in as our area opens up. I like having no one in a 5 cube radius.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My boss is usually really great but he is now managing two teams and cracks are showing and I’m concerned. I’m one of the senior guys on the team and get tasked with a lot of the stuff he is too busy for like ordering equipment and interviewing and it is getting crazy keeping the list of all the things needing doing just for me so it must be even worse for him. A lot of the time I have to puzzle out his cryptic missives if he’s in a rush or hectic, but at the last resort will bug him for clarifications.

I really miss just being the one who gets given the projects rather than being the project giver and tracker :sigh:

On the plus side the company is telling us since the ‘vid isn’t hitting us as hard as forecast the folks who took the paycut get a bonus on top of the eventual repayment of our cut, so that’s nice. The people who opted out are complaining and saying stuff like “but we thought you promised no punishment!!” Mkay

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was scrolling through my linked in the other day and someone in my network (I think he had a co-op job at my co and then went somewhere else after graduation) had liked a post all in arabic. I was curious and clicked the translate button and whoo this other post the guy was pissed that linkedin had adopted the pride flag on their logo and not for reasons to do with pinkwashing.. Talkin about deviants and pedophiles etc, yikes.

Removed the guy who liked it from my network after that. It's always weird when I see someone going off on a site like Linkedin, I have seen people post some really inappropriate stuff there but never quite this bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s all about the transitions, baby

NO YOU CANT FORCE ME TO USE THE COMPANY TEMPLATE I USE THE HOT PINK MIAMI NIGHTS ONE DAMMIT