Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
Anyone stuck in corporate should pick up a part time job waiting tables at a local restaurant. I did it for extra income initially, then a few months later was a full time server. It's not prestigious, but it's everything a cubicle job isn't and at least for me was a move in the right direction.

You'll get direct interpersonal contact. While I consider myself antisocial and actually ENJOYED the isolation my cubicle provided, dealing directly with people in an unscripted manner really helped my communication skills and I've since talked my way out of roughly a dozen speeding tickets and a few instances of possession. Improved people skills are priceless and it's the best education there is. More sexy time with your preferred gender is virtually guaranteed.

Your pay is dependent entirely on how hard you want to work for it. While it's true your socially awkward self may be stuck waiting tables at some dive initially, once you're relaxed and experienced and able to convince the manager of a fine dining establishment that you're able to provide service his guests will want to return to you'll have the opportunity to make the really big bucks. Get to know your repeat customers and make them laugh and it becomes easy to pull a $50 tip off a $100 bill. If you work somewhere particularly busy and can multitask well you'll be floored by how much money you'll make.

You'll likely be respected among your co-workers. Mostly for having a gigantic, throbbing... brain. Many people get into food service because they have to and lack education proper, but their common sense tells them to respect an educated individual. You'll be seen as invaluable after the first time you "...fixed ALL the computers at once!" by resetting the router, and because you'll likely also be much more punctual and reliable than your co-workers you'll become indispensable. Once that happens, it's an easy matter to get a pay raise or set your own schedule.

You'll get more exercise. An active server looks better to customers and actually burns a lot of calories during the day, along with getting better tips. It's like a treadmill you get PAID to use. Even coupled with the FREE FOOD you'll probably score working at a restaurant you'll probably lose weight. The metabolism boost will likely improve your emotional state as well as your physical appearance. Pretty soon you'll WANT to shave that neckbeard regularly.

That's just my 2 cents. It's like putting a wilting plant back into the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU