Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010
Have! It's `could have' not `could of', dipshit

Dr. Steve Brule posted:

The worst for me is the stupid team lunches. Thank goodness the economy tanked and they got cut.

Why would I want to sit around and eat with the same people that I sit around and eat near every day? Oh, but the company is paying for it! BUT DON'T YOU DARE THINK ABOUT GETTING A STEAK. Play it safe, let your manager order first and order something of equal or lesser value.

And you can't even tell dick jokes. You can't make fun of senior management, you can't talk about getting drunk and being stupid, so all that's left is talking about work and the weather and how bad traffic was that morning.

Sometimes I wish I was a contractor, they get to eat in their cubes. :sigh:

This, except I work for an absurdly lucrative consulting company so we have these lunches once or twice a week.

My boss has a fetish for Japanese steak houses. Which is all fine and dandy but not every loving week no hyperbole here. I have eaten at the same three Japanese restaurants for months. I once faked eating a dish so I could go out and have pizza afterwards.

These lunches are "working lunches" and we are forced to be there. They cost on average 400-600$ for the group of us and i'm sure that he finds a way to bill one of our clients. Nobody has had the balls to suggest a new type of restaurant. Including myself, but i'm by the far the most junior and value having a job and not rocking the boat.

Some idiot wrote a policy that all correspondance with our foreign engineering counterparts has to be done with videoconferencing software. This means every meeting ( we have a lot of meetings) begins with us fiddling with the software and using the telephone to coordinate the videoconference. Rather then doing the drat thing by teleconference. Which would probably be easier and cheaper with the cost of voip these days.

Understanding the unintelligible accents of our outsourced filipino engineers is an exercise in patience. I get the bulk of this fun because i'm usually responsible for analyzing the information and conveying it to the client/my boss

We have a very expensive and good Lavazza espresso machine, but no espresso pods. Nobody is sure whose responsibility it is order some, so it just doesn't get done. I asked if I could buy some and expense it, I was brushed off and it was never spoken of again. So now I just spend 2-5$ for my espresso drinks everyday.

We have a xerox machine in office, however its setup with some retarded billing system where we have to reference clients to bill them for photocopies. We weren't given any training on this, so everyone just goes to the UPS store.

We have no dress code for when clients aren't expected in the office, however the owner/boss enforces some arbitrary facial hair/hairstyle dresscode everyday. This makes no sense, there are no written guidelines on this, it basically amounts to " I don't like your haircut, change it".

TL:DR inefficient bullshit drives me mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010
I work with a mid forties woman that refers to her husband in casual conversation as " dear husband". No idea why this infuriates me, but it does.

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010

E the Shaggy posted:

So the office admin calls me into her office and tells me that the 23 year old receptionist is going to fill my position because she's worked on "newsletters and stuff in the past".

:v:

Keep in mind, I'm the firm's MARKETING DIRECTOR. I handled a million dollar budget, managed the website, took care of the marketing needs of 30 attorneys, hosted seminars, sponsored events, published articles in major publications, got clients for the firm, etc etc.

Now I'm torn, do I go with option a.) and ask what the gently caress she's thinking? or option b.) train the receptionist for three days and watch the firm collapse in on itself.

Decisions, decisions.

Train her, then drop them an email two weeks later offering consulting services at 500$ a day.

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010

KevinCow posted:

I've had a corporate job for about a month now, and I have just one question for those of you who have been doing it for years: How have you not shot yourself yet? I can already feel it draining my soul away.

Drugs, alcohol and in some cases religion.

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010
It's 7:30AM sunday and i'm getting ready to go to work. This is completely normal for me and the only thing that makes this day different from other 5-6 I work is the lack of traffic.

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010

onymous posted:

In Quebec my entire undergraduate education at McGill cost me about 12000$ total for four years, plus books. I never took out any loans but I know that if you're financially emancipated (i.e. not dependent on your parents) the loans you get are partly grants. And paying them back is made very easy for you, though I don't know the details. I love telling this to americans at my current big private american university which charges them 50k per year.

Had I completed my education at McGill I would of paid three times that. I'm Canadian :canada:

Seriously gently caress McGill/Quebec and their differential tuition. All the other sane provinces charge the same for all students across Canada because in/out province tuition rates would give people outside Ontario/Quebec 1-2 choices for University.

That rate is in no way representative of what the average Canadian pays for schooling. Its more along the lines of 50k-70k for people who go to school out of their hometown or province. Which is everyone who doesn't live in a handful of major cities.

Canada student loans are not better then American ones, I haven't taken any, but I know lots of people who have and have been forced to pay 200-250$ a month all while making 800-1000$ a month in big city centres.

Not to mention our private loan industry is practically non existent.

Australia's program of requiring people to make 40k CDN before paying back student loans makes much more sense then OSAP's current stance of " Hey you've been out of school for six months, pay up!" .

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010

Sprawl posted:

Well most American University's are poo poo.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/collegeinc/view/

Its not all roses and teddy bears over here either. The lack of rapeage stems from the government tightly controlling and regulating education ( allowing few private/religious universities). But our private schools are just as bad as yours. With "institutions" like DeVery fleecing everyone, using our provincial student loans as tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010

Sprawl posted:

Quebec Student loans are very much different then the rest of the student loans in Canada.

Thats because the province subsidies it using blackmail money from the Federal government and charging other Canadians more then Quebecois.

Educations laws in Quebec are illegal at worse, immoral at best. Their have been many lawsuits regarding its discriminatory laws.

Aside from discriminating against non quebecois Canadians for tuiton rates, a practice only followed by Quebec. They also try and forcefully assimilate immigrants to the province regardless of individual desires or needs.

For example, if you an American moves to Quebec. Your child MUST be educated in French, even though their are public english schools in the province. Who are those schools for you ask? People whose parents were educated in English in Quebec ( so basically the historic anglophones communities)

So if you move here from Haiti or Ivory Coast, speak french at home, are in fact francophones. Your child can't be educated in english, a language they will need to get a job outside the economic wasteland that is Quebec.

gently caress Quebec and its :smug: attitude.