Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ObsidianConspiracy
Mar 27, 2010

Orgophlax posted:

The worst part about a corporate office is when you realize how much like high school it really is and how people don't really grow up.

This is so loving true. While I was working at a software company they hired this 'hot shot' to be a coder. He was probably in his early to mid 20s and looked/dressed like a complete guido (despite the fact that he wasn't Italian). He would yell whenever he picked up the telephone so that everyone in the office could hear what he was saying at all times, couldn't take any constructive criticism and would actually lash out at you if you did.

My job was to test the software so when I was tasked with testing his stuff he'd actually come up to me and be visibly angry telling me that I was stupid and didn't know how to 'use the software' despite me providing screenshots where the application had crashed or wasn't behaving as it should.

Then there was the great Secret Santa incident. Someone else in the office received a bottle of Alcoholic Egg Nog. Hot Shot was eying this and couldn't believe that someone got such an awesome gift. He jokingly mentioned that he was going to steal it from the other employee. Egg Nog goes into dude's desk drawer which wasn't locked. The next morning he realizes the bottle is gone. Turns out Hot Shot went into dude's desk and straight up stole the bottle. When confronted about it he just said 'I wanted it so I took it'.

Dude who had the bottle didn't want to report it to management so he let Hot Shot off the hook but others in the office pressured Hot Shot to buy him a new bottle (which he did end up doing).

Seriously too many retards work in offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObsidianConspiracy
Mar 27, 2010

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Does anyone work with employees from India? If so, is the phrase "please do the needful" as universally hated as it is at my office?

I occasionally look up random support tickets our India tech support people e-mail out to our customers. When I want to be a dick, I now use a phrase I saw in one of those e-mails:

"I have satisfied you to your satisfaction."

Nothing against people from India, our engineers over there are way smarter then I am and I really enjoy learning from them...but their support people suck equally as much as their American phone jockey counter parts.

For some odd reason someone at my current employer thought it was a good idea to outsource our software development to India. Since I've been here (I'm into my fourth week), I've struggled trying to communicate with the developers about issues our users are having or errors that are occurring in the system.

Their English is pretty bad even for ESL standards and sometimes trying to explain database changes that need to occur is extremely frustrating. While outsourcing may be cheaper, the amount of time saved in dealing with a local company would certainly more than make up for it.

ObsidianConspiracy
Mar 27, 2010

Murray the Hump posted:

My office hired some Six Sigma consultant hucksters a few years back. They were paid a huge sum just to basically rearrange the desks and seating assignments. So instead of wasting valuable seconds carrying reports from one room to the next, most of the department was herded into one large room where the over-crowed conditions and lack of personal space turned the usual petty bickering into full-blown chaos. We went back to old way within weeks.

LOL that's some genius right there. Did anyone go postal?