Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm in the unique position of working for a small consulting firm with some extremely large clients, so I get a lot of the good of working small but also get to experience indirectly the horror that is Corporate America.

The poo poo I see makes me never want to go corporate but there's always the allure of "if you could make just a few small changes you'd leave your mark forever!!! :downs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Every time I do consulting engagements for a certain very large client I am reminded that effective corporate governance and a culture of responsibility and competence do not necessarily correlate with success.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

peter banana posted:

well I read How to Win Friends and Influence People and it's a lot of common sense. Plus I question how applicable it is to modern business settings. Most of the problems I've had in careers wouldn't have been solved by saying someone's name reassuringly.

It's not directly applicable as a specific problem solving strategy. It's applicable as a way to build social capital within an organization, which is very valuable for a) avoiding problems in the first place and b) making sure that the correct people are willing to take your side when high-impact issues arise.

I'm not a particular Carnegie fan per se but I think a lot of people that I work with would benefit from reading his work.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Renegret posted:

I wish I knew this when I was younger so I could have decided to take up a trade like plumbing or something. Maybe I should try sell myself on the street corners.

Look at this guy who doesn't think there's passive aggression on job sites.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's because your company's upper management wants to minimize headcount.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

peter banana posted:

oh good! All of my coworkers who live in the suburbs are now saying horribly offensive things about the local homeless in the part of the downtown core our office is located in! This doesn't make me want to puke at all!

At a few large client sites I have heard a lot about "those people" you know like the ones that are dark skinned &c?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Your colleagues are horrible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

This makes me very happy to work at a boutique where everyone has an assigned bonus target in dollar terms as part of their pay grade, and at the end of the year based on financial performance we all receive the same percentage of that target which is sent out in a company-wide email. Performance reviews really only matter for advancement.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I got flown out for an interview for my first "real" job out of college. Depends on the company/industry.

Today I was introduced as an intern by the guy I was working with to someone. I'm not a goddamn intern. I'm a contractor who happens to be in their 20s in a sea of middle-aged people. There's a difference. I didn't say anything because it was irrelevant to the situation and the people who matter know what function I have in the company so it doesn't really matter, but I found it to be kind of demeaning and insulting. Argh.

Son, you gotta fight for your right (to partyyyyy)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

jkk posted:

On a typical day, I work on projects for at least half a dozen clients. Some of them get billed based on actual hours worked, some don't, but we need to keep track of how much time is being spent on everything. I keep track of my projects in 5 minute intervals. Random non-project related stuff and coffee breaks get charged to "Admin".

Five minute intervals seems weird just because it's not a convenient decimal to the hour. Why not six?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

jkk posted:

I dunno. The budgeted time for most projects is in 5 minute intervals, ie. I'm expected to spend 15 minutes per day on this and 45 on that. Why would it need to be convenient decimals?

The system can handle either "1.5" hours or "1:30" though. I just find it easier to track 5 minute intervals myself, especially if I'm not doing the whole 45 minutes in one go.

My firm uses decimal time sheets. It just seems odd to me because if you spend an hour and 25 on something, you are then entering 1.416 hours. It seems weird to use a mix of base 10 and base 60.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Christ, who doesn't tuck in their shirt in a not-explicitly-casual business environment?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Renegret posted:

Someone who has been wearing jeans and a t-shirt for 8 years, that's who.

But you guys were clearly not following a business casual dress code, even if nominally that's what existed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

We are totally casual at the home office and client's dress code+ at client sites, so I bounce between shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops and hat and suit & tie.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm going to steal your lunch money and give you a swirly, nerd. There is no reason to have a real dress code if you aren't meeting customers.

In fairness to the poster, he complained that his colleague wanted to meet customers while dressed like poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Six Sigma is a loving joke at a lot of places it's kind of a joke in general!. If I had a dollar for every time that one of my client contacts says "Oh we did a Six Sigma project on [Incredibly broken process or topic] a few years back but didn't end up making any changes" I would own an island.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

Completely agreed. I am our overseas teams to confirm factory addresses and supplier phones/emails all the time. We have a database with all of that in there but it could not have been updated. Similarly, even if I have a factory website in front of me, I never assume the address is correct. Always ask the in country team. Always.

However a link is acceptable and he was a dick for reporting you.

Exception: A lmgfty link is generally not acceptable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If it's a role with that kind of dependency, that guy's manager should have forced him to the accepted company hours.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I roll in early and I roll out... averageish for my company or slightly later. But my day is my own, I just have to accomplish my overall strategic objectives. (If I stopped posting on the forums I could probably shave 10/15 minutes off my work day)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Every one of those I've seen was "anonymous".

But then it asked what site you were assigned to, your position, how long you'd been with the company, your age bracket...

Most workplace surveys that I've seen or designed allow you to leave those responses blank.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Farming is also big mother fuckin business here in the U S A. We all have a nice quaint image of what farming means but a 14 billion bushel corn yield at $3.60 a bushel is $51B in corn alone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Radio Talmudist posted:

What are the bonuses based on? Money saved? I guess that would be an incentive to cut hours, ha.

Hitting your metrics, many of which are labor/wage/cost targets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That stuff is pretty standard, but tips not being reimbursable is complete bullshit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hahahahahaha holy poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have my own office with an exterior window and a door and everything because I ain't no scrub.

I spend about... 30% of my time there. :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Keetron posted:

There are a few things to keep in mind here, one is the perceived cost of operation and the other is the overall cost of quality. I am not sure if it is in this thread that I argue that the amount of bugs while testing is unimportant, it is the amount of production incidents that are disrupting the normal process. These are what counts not only for your end user satisfaction but also drive up maintenance costs.

In theory, outsourcing is cheap, you get the same amount of hours for half amount of the money (or less). However, when poorly executed, it will drive companies into bankruptcy but when properly executed, it is only some 20% or less cheaper due to the added overhead, increased timelines and added complexity.

But anyway, it is quarterly figures that matter and when they look good, someone gets a bonus and when they look bad, the market is to blame.

gently caress, I hate ignorance when it comes to outsourcing.

20% cost savings, if you do it correctly, is still huge, hence the draw.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

peter banana posted:

This comes down to who is managing the output of the outsourced team though and most managers don't have the skills to handle it. If they do, they can command a higher salary and more support for their in-house team to deal with outsourced problems. This is rarely put in place because most companies I've worked for just see outsourcing as a panacea that can just be dropped in for a low, low cost without any concern to quality. Also, high quality is promised by the outsourcing companies, so the;re's a bit of dishonesty there as well.

Yeah, for sure - outsourcing was and is presented as this kind of cure-all for costs. One of the big pitfalls is also determining what you actually can outsource and what you need to keep in house - get that wrong, and it doesn't matter how effective your internal management team is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I am super super happy that my contract includes a clause that says that I am not permitted to work more then 200 7.5 hour days a year.

Holy hell, I don't feel overworked and I probably hit that hour number by end of August.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Does every organization have this constant, lovely political slapfight between IT and Accounting? :ughh:

If I had Accounting, IT and a gun with a single bullet, I think I'd shoot myself and save myself the trouble.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sundae's health plan is mega hosed for what it's worth. $750 a month and I believe he said it doesn't cover spouse.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am aware of an executive at an Asian company on rotation to the US that was terminated for acquiring a green card.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Keetron posted:

Working with a few from India that can apply for a European passport when working here for about 5 years, it came to light that the mothership is actively monitoring that people don't work in the same European country for more then 2 years to prevent this.

This was mega-hosed because the guy had literally been in the US for a decade.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

So that's gonna backfire horribly on you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shadowhand00 posted:

My new boss loves to print out everything. EVERYTHING. Calendars, JIRA charts, etc. etc. This is done daily so that she can carry this around all the time.

Its just a waste of paper. i think she's really organized and she seems really nice, but this is a lot of paper to use and throw away every day.

This is strongly preferable to a disorganized boss that saves paper.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Client corporate purchasing can get lost. You guys realize that I know exactly what your discount target is, so when I submit something to the business unit I just tell them that you're going to take a cut out of it so the actual end price will likely be X-6%? If you didn't bother with the charade, I'd price at X-6%.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Rumor is that we're having a shotgun blast of layoffs in 2 weeks to stop the bleeding and then a complete company restructuring in September :toot:

Our last quartly results were poo poo, our market is circling the drain, our competitor is eating our lunch and every single one of our new products is currently on a stop-ship. We poured hundreds of millions of dollars and literally years and years of development into a product every single one of our customers rejected, after our competitor delivered it a year before us and cheaper. The only reason we've had jobs for this long is that we bought out the only other competent company in the market. Unfortunately we haven't bribed China enough so they've been holding our merger hostage for the last 4 years and it's seriously hurting our business now.

I also had a meeting with my boss to give me some sort of recognition for single-handedly increasing efficiency in this department at least 25% and his response was "Well, some other people might be upset if I promoted you" because he's a spinless sack of poo poo.

Only 2 more years of work paying for my school and then I'm out of here. Even if I get bounced in the next round of layoffs my school debt is forgiven and I get a sweet severance package :)

So getting terminated would be the best of all possible outcomes, nice.

edit: ^^^ ayup ^^^

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Amazon warehouses are disturbing but it's not due to real-time productivity tracking. It's due to the fact that the stack rank their workers on the floor and set deliberately non-achievable productivity targets while doing nothing to actually enable workers to meet those targets (training, etc). Of course, that's what happens when you outsource labor and don't give a gently caress.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think Bezos' goal is profitability, it's market dominance. Amazon has godawful margins and return on sales.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

Why would anyone ever stack rank general labor like that? Turnover is going to cost you more than any gains you might see from that, either things are working or they aren't.

Because you're retarded and think that you can run floor labor like (badly managed) white collar labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

spog posted:

Remember this?

Well, we've just had a funeral. Guess what happened?

another dude died