Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It's not like you can tell these things about someone before hiring them. I worked very briefly with some guy I thought was a bit of a douche, but nothing outrageous. A few years later someone posts his obituary and it turned out he had basically kidnapped some vulnerable 18 year old, drove her 2000 miles to his house and started using her as a sex slave. She stabbed him to death and got committed. He probably wasn't giving off indicators that he was a predator while someone interviewed him. Can't blame yourself for something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Someone should make their profile pic a fake mugshot, bonus points if it's a real one

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I've spent a week at my new job and done nothing but training slides and videos. Also got told budgets are suddenly very tight and we might not get the new equipment/software we need to do our job, but also we're trying to hire new people. I'm sure everything will turn out fine

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Three weeks into my new job and I can't trust a single thing another technician is doing. Caught him blatantly trying to process out a bad piece of equipment. He's got a reputation of being good at his job but I'm sure it's all smoke and mirrors and the fact that he's working on a swing shift means it's hard to have any kind of visibility. I'm just another tech so not much I can do. Brought it up with my lead so at least he knows about it.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
For some reason my current company makes time cards unavailable around New Years and everyone has to use paper versions for a week before they can enter them in online. They've been doing this forever and everyone who's been here for a while doesn't think anything of it. I'm sure someone somewhere has a good reason for it but I sure don't

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Two weeks ago I went to someone’s retirement in my department who had been here for 36 years. Today I’m going to someone’s retirement in my department who’s been here for 18 years. And here I am having been here less than 6 months trying to move on cause it’s the fastest way for me to get paid more.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I get mentally fatigued every day by lunchtime and I feel like that's unhealthy and it makes me want to quit even more.

Also I think my manager has been hamstringing us by overwhelmingly hiring veterans. I mean it's nice that we're all vets from random branches but it means our pool of people to choose from is way smaller than it could be.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I think it'd be great if our manager hired more people. We're three people short in a 25 person department and it seems like OT will be mandatory starting next week.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We just had a guy on our team retire after 36 years, then another person two weeks later after 18 years. They post all these retirements on some internal page and the highest I've seen for our company this year was 46 years.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't do my job yesterday because we had a world metrology day and invited other random people to show up and eat brisket and pulled pork that one of our guys made. There was also a presentation and demonstrations of some of the boring stuff we do. I mean it was nice to get paid and hang out for a few hours and only a couple people came by to see me show them how cool oscilloscopes can be

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

in a well actually posted:

Idk storm forecasting sounds pretty cool, is an oscilloscope a fancy barometer?

Unfortunately metrology is far more boring than meteorology.

priznat posted:

Oscilloscopes do rock.

The little lunchbox ones are my fav especially now that they have colour screens and all that.

It’s fun when you happen on an old one that still boots windows 95 and takes decades to start up lol (usually those are logic analyzers though)

Yeah this one was an ancient Hewlett-Packard model, it was really only cool cause it had the game Centipede built into it, though they were calling it Bugs. The new ones they make are super cool, although at our level we sure as hell have no purpose for them other than some real basic poo poo

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I had a one on one with my manger today to discuss individual development plans. He told me he wanted to promote me, I told him I wanted to change career fields. He said he’d still try to promote me even if I’m planning on leaving. I have a meeting with the department head of the other group I’m trying to get into on Friday, so we’ll see how that goes.

This is also the first time in almost 14 years of working that working hard at my job is leading to a promotion. It’s usually led to more work and the same pay and in one case less money and more work

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I come back from a long weekend and find that our parent company is trying to divest our division. My job is probably safe if we’re acquired by a similar company. If it’s a private equity firm all bets are off

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I've got this AI generated image hanging up in my cubicle that my girlfriend made for me. There's another one that's supposed to be an avocado in 4D space but it looks like an avocado in regular 3D space.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
There's a possibility some people do work Sundays. I applied for a job that would have me work two Sundays during a 5 week rotation. I'd probably take it too despite the awful week of straight overnights

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We’re supposed to hear some news about if and who’s going to acquire us in about a month. I’m kinda hoping to be gone by then. There’s no guarantee the next company will see our cost savings as beneficial, but also this job sucks and I want out

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My manager has 22 direct reports and I have no idea how he does it. And he keeps opening reqs so we get more people. I think he just really likes working

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
One of the reasons I left the military was that the IC track didn’t exist. After five years I was supervising three people and had a fourth person as a direct report. Great if you’re looking for management experience, not so much if you just want to kick it doing some lab work and nothing else

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Welp, never been through an acquisition before but it’s official, we’re getting acquired. My job is probably safe but we’ll see how this goes

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

skipdogg posted:

Best advice I can give you

1) Go in with a positive attitude. Be a team player. Whoever bought your old company wrote a big rear end check to do so. They're the new bosses. Don't be one of those folks that sticks the old company ways and brings it up all the time "well we did it this way". Adapt to the new environment. It doesn't matter how good at your job you are, if your attitude sucks they will get rid of you. (Getting a severance package is a valid option sometimes).

2)Prepare yourself for the worse, but hope for the best. Download copies things like the severance package details, stock plan details you may be a part of, benefit information, life insurance, pretty much anything you might need to reference if you get RIF'd and lose access to the corporate network. Update your resume, make a bunch of LinkedIn connections with your co-workers, and familiarize yourself with any severance policy you may have. One acquisition I was looking at 34 weeks severance if I got laid off, so that took away almost all the stress of going through the acquisition. Worst case I got to keep my job. Best case they give me 34 weeks pay to go work somewhere else. From a personal standpoint you may want to prepare yourself financially to be out of work, maybe put off any large purchases or taking on any new debt.

3) Don't take anything personal. I've watched a lot of tenured folks just take things personally or fail to adapt to the new organization. It doesn't go well. None of this is personal.

Every acquisition ended up being a good thing for my career. I was able to move up and get exposed to larger companies, more complex IT systems, take on more responsibilities, and get promotions.

I'll try to keep all that in mind. I'm not super worried about being laid off since we're a small but critical career field though I suppose it doesn't matter if someone thinks we should be on the chopping block. Also I've been trying to leave for a while so I wouldn't even be mad if I got the boot

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I applied for a job that I think wanted a top secret clearance and one of the questions was if I had dual citizenship and if I was willing to give it up. There probably exists a job where I would give it up, but that one wasn’t it

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I got promoted and it takes effect Sunday, so my first day as a lead technician will be a holiday.

I was also trying to leave before I got promoted but it turns out getting back into IT with a couple years experience and without taking a big paycut is proving to be tricky

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

tumblr hype man posted:

November also has Veteran's day, but I guess most people don't actually get that off (my veteran Father never did). Working for a bank pays off again I guess.

My company didn’t let us have it last year along with president’s day and Juneteenth and instead gave us floating holidays. This year they got rid of floating holidays and we get it off.

Two jobs ago I worked somewhere that didn’t give us Black Friday off. I worked on a military base and I’m pretty sure we were some of the only people who had to come in that day. It was nice not dealing with traffic I guess

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

tumblr hype man posted:

Yea we don't get Black Friday, or the week between Christmas and New Years (like some of my manufacturing customers) but since we can be remote now I just "wfh".

I used to work for a Utah based bank and would get their state holiday (Pioneer Day) off despite being in another state, which was kinda cool I guess.

I loving hated Pioneer Day when I lived there. My neighbors would be shooting off fireworks the entire month of July cause it’s July 24th so it was nonstop all month. I never got that day off either

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
One of the old-timers I work with may have gotten the process started on getting himself shitcanned/into forced retirement. He's the only one of us that works remote and has a bit of an 'I can't be wrong' attitude so I won't be sad to see him go, also I have no idea what he does all day

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I spent my lunch doing a phone screen for somewhere else, maybe I’ll get an interview

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Our company does a big plexiglass number with your name on it every time you hit another five years here. We also have a page with people who have retired and their years or service. Highest I’ve seen was 49 or 50. We aren’t even government

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It turns out those customer survey things they send out really do get read. We had two items stuck at another company for weeks with no updates when I asked and no reason for why they were hanging on to them for so long. They sent out a customer satisfaction survey and I sorta laid into them. Got a phone call about it.

First time I’ve had real issues with them, they’re usually great so I didn’t feel great complaining but what was I supposed to tell our end users

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I kinda didn’t give a gently caress about my performance review. A few things I put in:

“I have exceeded all wildest expectations. I have set the bar higher than my predecessors.”

“I have done some stuff and things.”

“I think I’m doing well at this.”

“I got donuts for helping one of our end users, but when he showed up with them I was out that day.”

“I work pretty hard I guess.”

Still got promoted, lol

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My last day is next Friday and I’m hoping I can sneak out and not do a whole going away. I just wanna work a normal day and go home

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My manager said I’m welcome back if my new job doesn’t work out. The gesture was sorta nice, he said I’d take a pay cut because I’ll have to start one level down from where I’m at.

gently caress me if I have to go walking back to the metrology career field for the second time, I want out for a long time

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Tnuctip posted:

That sounds like a super passive aggressive gently caress you.

Yeah you’re right, I really shouldn’t come back here unless they promote me again beyond what I’m at now. From what my manager has said I’ve been the most productive electronics technician to set foot in this lab in the 26 years he’s been here and it’s not even close. Taking a paycut would be insulting to me

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Tnuctip posted:

I’m certainly not knocking technicians, but how many techs has that lab promoted out and up over those 26 years?

At a previous place the answer was 4 over 20 years…..

I realized that was going to be my career path if I stayed a technician years ago. There’s nothing quite like working alongside a guy who’s 50 years older than you doing the same poo poo everyday to motivate someone to find something else.

That being said I wouldn’t mind doing it part time when I’m way older. It can be a cake job in the right circumstances

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
You should not have sent the email, especially if your original intent is to avoid interaction. Her mind was already made up. At that point you’re just poking the bear hive or whatever

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I was supposed to train a new guy in my job this week since it’s my last week but he no showed on Monday and got his start date pushed back to next week. Oh well, sounds like it’s someone else’s job now

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I did my exit survey and when it came time for the interview she told me she had everything she needed from the survey. I think it lasted 8 minutes. Out of 5 jobs I had this was the only exit interview I’ve done

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Sundae posted:

Welcome to hell! :haw:

Just stop by my office if you need anything. It’s over there. *points at nothing, hides behind a fake plant *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0wEfdhbHUk

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

CancerCakes posted:

I like the implication that death is the only way you can leave the business.

It’s either that or getting on a plane to Singapore

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Starting week 3 of my new job. Still haven’t gotten my laptop and haven’t been given much to do. I’m content just coasting for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Do we work for the same place? One of our desktop support guys just got a new hire to set up...who apparently started 2 weeks ago & never got a laptop :lol: they got a list of new hires today by email & the guy's start date shows as 12/4/23, no clue how they screwed that up so hard.

If you’re working in a hospital then maybe. I do have my boss’ boss’ backup laptop so I’m not entirely useless, but it would also be nice to get my stuff since I’m classified as remote and should be getting paid just to drive out here.